Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.

Old 08-09-14, 06:22 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.

I have looked at the Honda accord v6 Touring and it has every feature that there is almost and it is about $20K cheaper then a similar loaded GS. My question is is the paint quality on that car as good as the lexus? I am trying to figure out why is that $20K cheaper with the same "tech" on it. I know there is a lot more leather trim in the GS. If I go "cheap" I am either going to get a brand new accord or a used CPO GS. The advantage of the accord is if anything goes wrong it is cheap to fix. The GS could cost a lot. If I don't go CPO GS, I will go 6-7 year warranty 120K miles warranty from Lexus itself. SO the question I have is, is the lexus GS $20K better then then the accord? Hell I see people selling used accords 2013 with 20K miles for like $3K less then MSRP which is crazy.
Old 08-09-14, 06:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't appreciate the added features, materials and build quality of a GS over the Accord, I suggest you go with the Accord.

You won't be able to put $20K on a paint job, and likely anything above an Accord is truly a "luxury" good that most people can go without. Won't be able to rationalize/calculate the premium of each individual type of feature.

While on paper it might offer similar "tech" the actual execution, integration into the vehicle, etc, of the specific feature could be vastly different.

Last edited by pbm317; 08-09-14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There are many reasons why a Lexus GS costs more than an America-market Accord. First, of course, and most obvious, is the panache of the Lexus nameplate....you have to pay to get that "L" on the grille. But the GS also comes with larger engines than the Accord, more customer-perks at the dealership, a longer warranty for both drivetrain and bumper-to-bumper, a much more complex and sophisticated AWD hybrid system (on the hybrids), plusher interior materials, more insulation for a quieter, more refined ride, more standard/optional equipment, more expensive wheels/tires,...the list goes on and on.

That, of course, is not to disparage the Accord in any way. By mid-size family sedan standards, it is exceedingly well-built, comes out of the factory assembled like a Swiss Watch, enjoys low depreciation and a good reliability record, drives well, and, like its arch-rival Camry, appeals to hundreds of thousands of buyers each year. But, despite its Lexus-level build quality, a Lexus GS it clearly is not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-14 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 06:45 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The sheet metal and paint on the GS are thicker than the Accord's ones.
The sound insulation is also better, along with the interior materials. Being RWD based the GS is better balanced and will drive better.

But for outright speed me thinks there is a high chance that the Accord V6 is actually quicker than the GS350

Personally I'd go with the new Accord V6
Old 08-09-14, 07:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The sheet metal and paint on the GS are thicker than the Accord's ones.
The sound insulation is also better, along with the interior materials. Being RWD based the GS is better balanced and will drive better.

But for outright speed me thinks there is a high chance that the Accord V6 is actually quicker than the GS350

Personally I'd go with the new Accord V6
It's not thicker I'll tell you that right now. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-09-14, 07:45 PM
krava
Lead Lap

so the paint isn't thicker? I have bought used Gs's in the past, 2001 GS430 in 2005 and then 2006 GS 300 AWD I have now, so might end up with the new one in the end of the year.
Old 08-09-14, 07:55 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Accord is a great car, for the money. Really is a smart choice if you want a great value.

Is the GS $20K nicer? It's really a matter of opinion. If it's worth it to you to drive a higher end car, then the answer is yes.
Old 08-09-14, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why even compare the Accord to a GS in the first place? A somewhat closer comparison would be the less-expensive Lexus ES sedan, which is FWD like the Accord. And, even then, a typical ES350 runs about 25-30% (or more) than the typical Accord in price.
Old 08-09-14, 09:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed that you can't pin 20K on a superior paint job. MMarshall has listed a lot of additional benefits you can with a Lexus and I will name a few more. I think 20K sounds about right for all these things.

Lexus name
Longer warranties
customer perks (such as loaner vehicles, free food, car washes, better service)
Japanese labor, freight charges
more leather, more metal accents, more chrome bits
more powerful engine
Probably tons of other little details that you wouldn't otherwise know until you drive the car.
Old 08-09-14, 09:21 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

If buying new, I say get the Accord. The GS is not worth 20k more in my opinion. You will definitely get more value in a new Accord than a new GS. The Accord will also depreciate less over time and will be just as reliable as the GS, if not more so due to less complexity in certain areas. Be smart, go "cheap" as you say and make the right decision. But also, see what kind of deals you can get on a slightly pre-owned GS that has already taken a depreciation hit. If you can get a good enough deal, then that's probably the route I personally would take.
Old 08-09-14, 09:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
so the paint isn't thicker? I have bought used Gs's in the past, 2001 GS430 in 2005 and then 2006 GS 300 AWD I have now, so might end up with the new one in the end of the year.
The GS will have the same type of soft easily chipping paint as Honda's do, I know this from experience detailing Lexus and Honda cars. The GS will have the same basic paint, clearcoat, baking process as a Accord though it may be handsanded at the factory, I am not sure which will give it less orange peel, the LS is supposed to be handsanded at the factory. I can't see spending an extra 20K just on the paint job, if you have tested both cars and don't see or feel much difference and don't care about the dealership perks(and higher prices) of owning a Lexus I would get the Accord and save 20K.
Old 08-09-14, 10:21 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank the epa for crappy paint.

wax either regularly and both should last long.

I didn't wax the spoiler on my GS enough, and the paint has failed within 6 years.
Old 08-09-14, 10:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Thank the epa for crappy paint.

wax either regularly and both should last long.

I didn't wax the spoiler on my GS enough, and the paint has failed within 6 years.
EPA regs have made auto paint less durable. Many of those spoilers for the GS are dealer add ons and are not painted/cleared/baked at the factory so their paint jobs don't last nearly as long. Had the same issue with mine, I actually think they might have used a lacquer to paint the spoiler instead of a 2 part urethane.
Old 08-10-14, 12:11 AM
krava
Lead Lap

not saying that it is a 20K paint job. I have seen LOTS of Honda's with paint peeling from them. They might be the older model ones though. if I do get the accord which is like a 1% chance then I didn't want the paint coming off quick or the leather pulling off (leather in the gs is messing up now and I even rubbed the dye off the leather in 3 years of having it. I was referring to the materials used in the GS and even the you can't really compare the two. WHen I was talking about paint I was talking about is it 2 clear coats compared to 4? 2 layers of paint compared to 1. That sort of thing
Old 08-10-14, 06:34 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The accord is so boring and you will see million on the road. Lexus paint quality is super. My IS almost 7 years and the paint is still nice and new.. My brother is honda fan and he always complaint about the paint is so easy to chip off. There is million thing that gs is better.. You can go to accord forum and ask for opinion also.. I had read a post from Acura TLX forum. They rather get the gs for the price over TLX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.