Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 07:43 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What you want to buy depends upon

1. Are you buying based upon TCO ?
2. Are you buying based upon being able to impress others and in turn command respect and generate new business?
Old 08-10-14, 09:17 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krava
SO the question I have is, is the lexus GS $20K better then then the accord? Hell I see people selling used accords 2013 with 20K miles for like $3K less then MSRP which is crazy.
I can't comment on the paint yet, but I can tell you that I just traded my 2012 Accord EX-L V6 w/Nav for a GS350. You won't notice the $20k until you drive it for a while.

What's good about the Accord?

-The engine is fantastic, bar none. It is super smooth, good power; it's no wonder they put it in so many cars even up through the Acura line.

-The Navigation is pretty easy to use.

What's not so good about the Accord?

-The seats are hard. They are okay for short drives, but anything over 2 hours and you'll feel it. The seats in the 2011 Civic (that I traded in for the Accord) were better.

-The brakes are SOFT. I brought the car in to have them checked and was told they were absolutely normal. The Civic I had before had better brakes and better handling too. The Accord is a boat.

-I also had trouble with body panels on the outside not matching up, as well as on the inside. Maybe this won't bother you, maybe it will. One of the tail lights was rubbing the paint off of the fender. Build quality is terrible (I bought the car new and was never in an accident with it).

You can make your own decisions. Maybe these things don't bother you, but they also aren't things you'll notice on a test drive. I am a huge fan of the GS, but like others have stated, maybe you should look into the ES, as it is a similar platform (same size, FWD, etc.). I'd be happy to share more or go into more detail if you have questions about the Accord.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But the GS also comes with larger engines than the Accord, more customer-perks at the dealership
The 3GS does, but not the 4GS, both are 3.5 V6s (Touring model Accord only available in V6). Definitely more customer perks though, and how I was treated along with my experience at the Lexus dealership (and presumed experience should I have any issues) played a large part in my transition to Lexus.

Originally Posted by yowps3
But for outright speed me thinks there is a high chance that the Accord V6 is actually quicker than the GS350
They are VERY close. Stopping and turning.. not so much.
Old 08-10-14, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
What's not so good about the Accord?

-The seats are hard. They are okay for short drives, but anything over 2 hours and you'll feel it. The seats in the 2011 Civic (that I traded in for the Accord) were better.

-The brakes are SOFT. I brought the car in to have them checked and was told they were absolutely normal. The Civic I had before had better brakes and better handling too. The Accord is a boat.

-I also had trouble with body panels on the outside not matching up, as well as on the inside. Maybe this won't bother you, maybe it will. One of the tail lights was rubbing the paint off of the fender. Build quality is terrible (I bought the car new and was never in an accident with it).
It also rides firmer than previous models. There has been a noticeable loss of ride comfort in the latest version.

As far as body-panel alignment goes, what you experienced is quite unusual on an Accord....or any Honda.

The 3GS does, but not the 4GS, both are 3.5 V6s (Touring model Accord only available in V6). Definitely more customer perks though, and how I was treated along with my experience at the Lexus dealership (and presumed experience should I have any issues) played a large part in my transition to Lexus.
True, but most Accords are sold with fours....at a lower price.
Old 08-10-14, 10:46 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also rides firmer than previous models. There has been a noticeable loss of ride comfort in the latest version.

As far as body-panel alignment goes, what you experienced is quite unusual on an Accord....or any Honda.

True, but most Accords are sold with fours....at a lower price.
1. That doesn't surprise me. They have yet to develop the suspension for sport AND comfort.

2. Maybe, but not according to the Honda forums. No pun intended. I think build quality is nose-diving. We've had several Hondas and Acuras over the years, we've only had a problem more recently, but we aren't alone.

3. I agree, but he was asking about the Touring V6 and the 4GS
Old 08-10-14, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The comparison doesn't make sense I agree. The Accord is a great driving appliance, and if I were buying a car in that segment, its probably the car I would buy. BUT, its not comparable to the GS. The GS is a higher end car built to a higher standard, built for someone who enjoys owning and driving a car. Its a RWD/AWD car with a longitudinally mounted engine. Performance is much better, ride drive and handling are much better. The GS is much more refined in everything it does. Much better materials inside, much more comfortable. The ownership experience is much better, better dealers, more prestige, more enjoyable to own if you're a car person and perceive the value that a car of the caliber of the GS brings to the table.

If you don't see the value in those things, then buy the Accord. As I said in one of your other threads, I have a great friend who has owned 7 Accords. He can buy any car he wants, but he is not a car person, a car is just transportation to him, and thus he doesn't understand why I would spend $60,000 on a Lexus GS when he can buy a 4cyl Accord with leather seats (the reason he chose leather is simply to be able to clean it well after his dogs are in the car) for under $30k. Thats fine, but as a car enthusiast thats not for me.

We all have luxury items we see value in. He for instance belongs to a country club and plays golf. That expense is more than it costs me to drive my GS. I belonged to a country club when I was a kid and to me...its not something I would spend the money on. Thats fine. Some people spend 5 figures on a watch...I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine. Some people spend $300 on a bottle of wine. I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine.

If you don't understand why the GS is better than the Accord, spending the money on the GS would be a waste and you should buy the Accord. Case closed. Go buy it and stop starting these threads lol.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-10-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The GS is a higher end car built to a higher standard, built for someone who enjoys owning and driving a car. Its a RWD/AWD car with a transverse mounted engine.
The GS has a longitudinally-mounted (fore-aft) engine.
Old 08-10-14, 12:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The GS has a longitudinally-mounted (fore-aft) engine.
Obviously was what I meant, got my transverses and longidudinals mixed up lol. Post corrected.
Old 08-10-14, 03:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
If you can't appreciate the added features, materials and build quality of a GS over the Accord, I suggest you go with the Accord.
this is very good suggestion - if you cant see and feel the difference between FWD midsize family sedan and RWD luxury sport sedan, then better buy the cheaper one!
Old 08-10-14, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is very good suggestion - if you cant see and feel the difference between FWD midsize family sedan and RWD luxury sport sedan, then better buy the cheaper one!
That gets back to what I said earlier......why even compare an Accord to a GS? It is closer in a number of ways to an ES.
Old 08-10-14, 04:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

That gets back to what I said earlier......why even compare an Accord to a GS? It is closer in a number of ways to an ES.
Avalon even... since it is non-luxury brand and also much cheaper.
Old 08-10-14, 04:27 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Avalon even... since it is non-luxury brand and also much cheaper.
This. I don't know why you'd compare an accord to a GS.

We should compare a Jetta to a CTS! Hah...
Old 08-11-14, 01:33 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hell I'd pay the $20k price premium so I don't have to look at a damn ugly Honda Accord in my garage. The GS is a great looking car, inside and out, the Honda, well if you gave it to me I'd drive it.
Old 08-11-14, 04:27 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/se...luxury_sedans/
Old 08-11-14, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hell I'd pay the $20k price premium so I don't have to look at a damn ugly Honda Accord in my garage.
It's nice to have money to burn.
Old 08-11-14, 07:36 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luxury items are usually not value driven.

Your comparison is kind of strange one.

You wouldn't compare Outback Steakhouse to Morton's would you? Just because they both serve steak and potatoes doesn't make them equal. Maybe for you Outback is good enough and you don't see the need for a $100 plate in that case the accord V6 will do however a luxury buyer will notice the differences and pay the premium for a better cut of meat/ better prep & better service...

Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.