Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Maybe you don't realize it, but you bring up the Verano A LOT of the time which seems to trigger rebuttals etc.
100% agree.

As to the independent rear. Jill is saying that the issue with the solid rear in the Verano is that its supposed to be a premium option. The Corolla has a solid rear and thats okay because its an economy car...as is the Cruze. However...if Lexus had a version of the Corolla...it would be expected it would have an independent rear.

I agree that any "premium" car should have an independent rear to be taken seriously. I would certainly never buy anything but an economy car with a solid rear.
Old 08-11-14, 03:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I agree that any "premium" car should have an independent rear to be taken seriously. I would certainly never buy anything but an economy car with a solid rear.
Yet the Escalade keeps squeaking on by...
Old 08-11-14, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A big truck like the Escalade is another story, you can understand why it has a solid rear and I almost put a caveat in what I said about trucks. Derived from pickups where a solid rear is an important part of how well it hauls and tows. Theres a benefit there to a solid rear. The GX and LX have a solid rear. Not so in a car like the Verano...the solid rear is there to save cost.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-11-14 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yet the Escalade keeps squeaking on by...
Cadillac originally had a solid rear with leaf springs in 98-99 version. Lexus LX at the time had a four link solid rear.
Old 08-11-14, 03:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A big truck like the Escalade is another story, you can understand why it has a solid rear and I almost put a caveat in what I said about trucks. Derived from pickups where a solid rear is an important part of how well it hauls and tows. Theres a benefit there to a solid rear. The GX and LX have a solid rear. Not so in a car like the Verano...the solid rear is there to save cost.
I would be more inclined to agree if its competition didn't tow as much or more all while using an independent suspension. But you're right, that's a little different. I give the GX and LX a pass because those can still legitimately go off road.
Old 08-11-14, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would be more inclined to agree if it's competition didn't tow as much or more all while using an independent suspension. But you're right, that's a little different.
I do agree, and I personally nowadays would prefer a independent rear in an SUV, as is in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. But for vehicles derived from a pickup truck chassis, I can give them a pass, pickup truck drivers don't want independent rears.
Old 08-11-14, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

100% agree.

As to the independent rear. Jill is saying that the issue with the solid rear in the Verano is that its supposed to be a premium option. The Corolla has a solid rear and thats okay because its an economy car...as is the Cruze. However...if Lexus had a version of the Corolla...it would be expected it would have an independent rear.

Exactly as said.

I think it is absurb to compare are car like the Verano with the beam axle to an IS with an IRS. Then we have an almost $12k starting price difference.
Completely rediculous to compare them.

As for the Corolla, the beam axle is nothing more than there to keep costs low and MSRP down. Nothing is expected of it other than to go from A to B.

Cadillac got the FWD wrong in the 90s, they made sure to get RWD right when the new breed of Cadillac came along. Hopefully, if they do a parts bin Cruze based Cadillac (like Buick did with the Cruze/Verano) they will put an IRS out back.
Old 08-11-14, 04:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would be more inclined to agree if its competition didn't tow as much or more all while using an independent suspension. But you're right, that's a little different. I give the GX and LX a pass because those can still legitimately go off road.
solid rear with a four or five link deserves a pass. A solid rear with leaf springs is a fail.
Old 08-11-14, 04:32 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I feel bad for the people who will need to stop working because of this.

Will they at least receive pay of some sort ?
Old 08-11-14, 05:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
I feel bad for the people who will need to stop working because of this.

Will they at least receive pay of some sort ?
Are you serious? I'm sure the unions have these situations well defined in their contracts and that they'll be more than fine.
Old 08-11-14, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'm sure the unions have these situations well defined in their contracts and that they'll be more than fine.
You're refering, I assume, to severance pay....or to union emergency funds if they are only going to be laid off three weeks.
Yes, there advantages to being a UAW member.
Old 08-11-14, 05:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Are you serious? I'm sure the unions have these situations well defined in their contracts and that they'll be more than fine.
At first, I didn't understand what the heck you were talking about. Then I remembered what the OP was...
Old 08-11-14, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing, though, seems clear from the OP....something that has gotten little emphasis so far. Those in the market for a new ATS or CTS may find some good deals right now from over-supply and under-demand.....though how much that would affect the normally expensive CTS-V remains to be seen.

At one time, I considered an AWD version of the ATS myself (there are a number of things about it I like).....but I didn't care for the CUE video-system or the suspension/tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 09:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My take on Cadillac's problems are that their product planners did a terrible job even though the engineers seem to executed that plan well.
1. They abandoned their traditional customer base and left them with no viable Cadillac option. The XTS could have been that option, but the stiff suspension and 20" wheels assured that the ride would be unacceptable to most. The Impala has a much better ride.
2.They chased the younger BMW 3 series buyer with the ATS. Nice try, but those buyers bought 3 series anyway. The ATS is also tiny and rough riding compared to the current 3 series.
3.The CTS is priced like a 5 series or E class and is not capturing many of those buyers. It is also too small inside to be a traditional American luxury sedan. It is a great driving car with a limited market. "My $70,000 CTS V sport is faster than your $65000 535i" isn't going to convert many BMW fans.

It is a complex issue, but that is my view of what happened. Fix?

1. Fix the XTS so it is a viable DTS replacement. Sell the hell out of it for airport limos that used to be Town Cars.
2. ATS Coupe will help a little. Focus ATS on BMW fans who think the new 3 series is too big, soft, and boring. Get rid of base 4 and drop price on rest.
3 Price! Include options that make it look like a bargin compared to BMW and Mercedes.

Steve
Old 08-12-14, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My take on Cadillac's problems are that their product planners did a terrible job even though the engineers seem to executed that plan well.
1. They abandoned their traditional customer base and left them with no viable Cadillac option. The XTS could have been that option, but the stiff suspension and 20" wheels assured that the ride would be unacceptable to most. The Impala has a much better ride.
2.They chased the younger BMW 3 series buyer with the ATS. Nice try, but those buyers bought 3 series anyway. The ATS is also tiny and rough riding compared to the current 3 series.
3.The CTS is priced like a 5 series or E class and is not capturing many of those buyers. It is also too small inside to be a traditional American luxury sedan. It is a great driving car with a limited market. "My $70,000 CTS V sport is faster than your $65000 535i" isn't going to convert many BMW fans.

It is a complex issue, but that is my view of what happened. Fix?

1. Fix the XTS so it is a viable DTS replacement. Sell the hell out of it for airport limos that used to be Town Cars.
2. ATS Coupe will help a little. Focus ATS on BMW fans who think the new 3 series is too big, soft, and boring. Get rid of base 4 and drop price on rest.
3 Price! Include options that make it look like a bargin compared to BMW and Mercedes.

Steve
Excellent post, oldcajun. You are correct on all counts, especially with the DTS/XTS.

The ATS does ride on the stiff side, but most reviewers now place it ahead of the 3-series in handling.

I'd also add something else......the CUE system and the finger-slide volume/fan controls (which are also used in some Lincolns) also turn some potential buyers off.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply