Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 09:18 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
There are 166 2014 CTS sedans on Ebay. There are 120 E Class Sedans and 316 BMW 5 series... They are selling well enough, and it doesn't appear like there is too much of an inventory at dealerships in comparison to the competition.. Something isn't adding up...
I wouldn't use ebay as a proxy, it could just be that Cadillac dealers don't use it as much.

The days' supply/days to turn metrics that are more common in the industry are a good measure of supply vs. demand.
Old 08-11-14, 09:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
okay, so now i'm confused there isn't going to be a buick version of the cadillac,
Right now there is no Buick/Cadillac that shares the same platform. Remember, Buicks are usually tarted up Chevrolets with some reworked or retooled bits and pieces.

I think Cadillac could put together a fine Cruze based A3 fighter. GM already does a superb job with the Cruze/Verano rebadge that I think a Cadillac Cruze might work. They would have to get rid of the beam rear suspension if this were to happen.
Old 08-11-14, 09:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Right now there is no Buick/Cadillac that shares the same platform. Remember, Buicks are usually tarted up Chevrolets with some reworked or retooled bits and pieces.

I think Cadillac could put together a fine Cruze based A3 fighter. GM already does a superb job with the Cruze/Verano rebadge that I think a Cadillac Cruze might work. They would have to get rid of the beam rear suspension if this were to happen.

Another one of these?

Old 08-11-14, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Right now there is no Buick/Cadillac that shares the same platform.
Incorrect. The Buick LaCrosse and the Cadillac XTS share the same platform. So does the Chevy Impala.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/08/...-cadillac-xts/

As it currently stands, General Motors offers three vehicles based on its stretched Epsilon II platform, sometimes known as Super Epsilon, including the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, and all-new 2014 Chevy Impala.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Another one of these?

Sweet! Where can I get one?
Old 08-11-14, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Like the one that the all-new, state-of-the-art Corolla uses?

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Another one of these?

that a cimmaron? possibly one of the worst cars of all time.
Old 08-11-14, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that a cimmaron? possibly one of the worst cars of all time.
Yes, that's a Cimarron.

Its interior and road manners, overall, IMO, were actually not as bad as has often been popularized in the auto press, but there is no question that it was horribly underpowered. I remember test-driving one back in the early 1980s, and I think I could have walked back to the dealership quicker. The early models stuck the carburated 1.8L N/A four (which developed all of 88 HP) from the already underpowered Cavalier J-Body into this same-platform but substantially heavier car. The result, power-wise, was a disaster. Later models, using larger fuel-injected powerplants, revived the car's tarnished image some, but those early models remained Personna-Non-Grata.
Old 08-11-14, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like the one that the all-new, state-of-the-art Corolla uses?
There is nothing state of the art about the beam suspension on the my new Corolla. Its cheap as hell to install, just the like the Cruze/Verano rear.

If Cadillac were to make a Cruze based Cadillac, an independent rear is a must.

In the past you once said the Verano is a competitor with a Lexus IS, just the suspension alone will tell you they are not.

If you look at the ILX by Acura, they put an independent rear in it. The ILX is the direct competitor to the Verano.

The turbo from the Cruze parts bin that the Verano uses is acceptable for a Caddy Cruze and so is transmssion.

Cadillac for a long till was touting their cars with FWD when Lexus got RWD correct from the start for their higher tiered cars.

A beam rear in a Cruze based Cadillac would be wrong and a mistake.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-11-14 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is nothing state of the art about the beam suspension on the my new Corolla. Its cheap as hell to install, just the like the Cruze/Verano rear
I only brought it up to illustrate, since you seem to poke fun at the Cruze platform almost every day, that the Corolla also uses a similiar system. When I used the term "state of the art", it simply meant the latest model of that particular car. It was nothing against your particular car or you personally....I don't operate that way. In fact, except for the inflexible 4-speed automatic in the base versions, I think the Corolla is actually a pretty decent purchase for the money....and I congratulated you on yours when you bought it.

If Cadillac were to make a Cruze based Cadillac, an independent rear is a must.
Yes and no. I partly agree, if sport-handling and cornering stability is a must......the CTS-V, for instance, set a recent world-sedan record around the Nurburgring track, and certainly didn't do it with a cross-beam rear. But, for most Cadillac buyers, who simply want a nice refined luxury-upmarket product for suburban commuting, like with the Verano, they probably couldn't care less what kind of suspension is in the back, as long as it is comfortable and handles reasonably well.

And take the Cadillac XTS, for instance, which DOES have an IRS. Unlike the Impala and Lacrosse, GM didn't do that one well at all....IMO, for a car in that class, it rides like ****.

In the past you once said the Verano is a competitor with a Lexus IS
Only very loosely......mostly by virtue of entry-level sedan position. But it is is true that there are features available on the IS that are not on the Verano....V6, AWD, IRS, etc.....

If you look at the ILX by Acura, they put an independent rear in it.
Sure.....but what ELSE did they put in the rear end? Certainly not insulation or refinement. It rumbles over coarse pavement like a drum. That's a major reason why it's not selling, and the Verano IS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, the Verano MSRP starts at $4500 less than the ILX, my suspicion is that buyers of a fully loaded Cruze are simply opting for the Verano. This is allowing it to have better sales than they really appear.

I did a comparo of the LTZ Cruze (MSRP $23,805) and a Verano ($23,805) base. The Verano is the better value, which is right on my assumption that sales of the Verano are coming from Cruze buyers that are just opting for the higher Verano trim which of course comes with a little bit better sound padding, a superb warranty and a few other features.

Funny enough, wheelbase/height for the Cruze/Verano are identical. But of course they are, because they are based of the same platform and the Verano is of course a reworked Cruze.

I also do not poke any fun at the Cruze/Verano, I think it is a good set up but nowhere as close to an IS.

As for the Corolla, its nothing special, I don't pretend it to be anything better than it is, the rear beam sucks (just like the Cruze/Verano)..but what the Corolla does do well is what it has always done well.

We are a bit off topic now.
Old 08-11-14, 01:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does it seem like every Car Chat thread turns into a Verano v. IS debate?
Old 08-11-14, 02:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Its actually hilarious and one of the more odd quirks of Car Chat, imo.
Old 08-11-14, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Though LexsCTJill and I have had a number of conversations about it, I want to make it clear that I'm not pinning all the blame on either me or her, because others bring it up, too. Some of them can't leave the subject alone. They have to inject it into a unrelated threads. I mention the Verano some times if I think there's a valid reason or comparison to something, but I don't use Car Chat threads to try and push the car....that, IMO, would violate the spirit of what we do in this forum.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 03:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though LexsCTJill and I have had a number of conversations about it, I want to make it clear that I'm not pinning all the blame on either me or her, because others bring it up, too. Some of them can't leave the subject alone. They have to inject it into a unrelated threads. I mention the Verano some times if I think there's a valid reason or comparison to something, but I don't use Car Chat threads to try and push the car....that, IMO, would violate the spirit of what we do in this forum.
Maybe you don't realize it, but you bring up the Verano A LOT of the time which seems to trigger rebuttals etc.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply