Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 10:09 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That pretty much sums of Cadillac, they are very good cars but the brand image is not yet there.
They are aware of it, but they cannot just drop the price in the open because then they become a value play which does not work when you are trying to rehab a brand and go up market, but people also do not want to go play games to get the deal.

Formula boats does this very successfully, their strategy is not 100% unique but it works on the pricing side while keeping the image up.
Old 08-10-14, 10:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. Let the DTS, and Town Car, rest in peace!! They were both mediocre cars at best and for better or worse are dead and gone.

The lack of the DTS is the least of Caddy's worries right now.
I agree, I think the Town Car discussion has to be put to rest. It did sell pretty well until the last 5 years of production, but its not a car Lincoln should be selling if they want to grow as a brand.
Old 08-10-14, 10:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, I think the Town Car discussion has to be put to rest. It did sell pretty well until the last 5 years of production, but its not a car Lincoln should be selling if they want to grow as a brand.

So true.
Car service businesses bought the Town Car.The general public didn't.
I feel Lincoln is just about done.I don't think the MKC will save the brand.
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
But they are also buying the brand, and if they are going to be associated with caddy it needs to be at a discount over brands with a premium image.
Well, I agree they are buying the brand but I don't think the true Lexus/Audi/MB class of buyers are visiting Cadillac dealers to compare.
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Cruze, Astra, Verano are all Delta II platform models, they all share the same parts and are just reworked into a different packages.
The Cruze and Astra share a Delta II platform very loosely, but, aside from that, are totally different cars. They have completely different interiors, bodies, drivetrains, and personalities. The Verano is much closer to the Astra, except for the Buick power train, trim, and sound insulation materials.

I have yet to see a Cadillac off the Delta II platform.
That's because Cadillac decided, early on, that they wanted their compact to be a RWD sport-sedan to compete with the 3-series.
Old 08-10-14, 10:18 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I agree they are buying the brand but I don't think the true Lexus/Audi/MB class of buyers are visiting Cadillac dealers to compare.
just thinking.... does the average cts-v buyer look at those brands?
Old 08-10-14, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They are aware of it, but they cannot just drop the price in the open because then they become a value play which does not work when you are trying to rehab a brand and go up market, but people also do not want to go play games to get the deal.

Formula boats does this very successfully, their strategy is not 100% unique but it works on the pricing side while keeping the image up.
I think Cadillac took a gamble, failed with their pricing. The deep discounts are just a reflection that the ATS and CTS are not desirable to the class of buyers they were designed for.
Old 08-10-14, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt it. Cadillac sells so few CTS V models and ISF models are almost non existent.
Old 08-10-14, 10:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
So true.
Exactly. One day it might be possible to revive the Town Car name. That is if trends change and such. I think the MKC is a nice cuv but like most American products, it will not live up to the prestige of the NX.
Old 08-10-14, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's probably hard to find an "average" CTS-V buyer. That particular model doesn't sell well. Not only that, but a number of those who bought the first-generation model were hurt with poor reliability, and may be somewhat soured on a subsequent model. So I'd say, yes, they may (?), in fact, be looking at some competitors.
Old 08-10-14, 10:25 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So true.
We'll see. The MKZ was certainly a punt, but the MKX and MKS are right around the corner to help out. The next legitimate Navigator (ignoring this refresh) won't be coming for another couple of years, unfortunately.
Old 08-10-14, 10:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly. One day it might be possible to revive the Town Car name. That is if trends change and such. I think the MKC is a nice cuv but like most American products, it would live up to the prestige of the NX.
The problem with the MKC is it's $50K well equipped and soon will be discounted $6K+ w/0% financing.
Then there's the reliability factor.
Old 08-10-14, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The problem with the MKC is it's $50K well equipped and soon will be discounted $6K+ w/0% financing.
Most people will have no problem paying $50k for a NX but would not pay that for a Lincoln regardless if it has more power, options, warranty or whatever.
Old 08-10-14, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. One day it might be possible to revive the Town Car name. That is if trends change and such. I think the MKC is a nice cuv but like most American products, it will not live up to the prestige of the NX.
Some mag reviews are saying that the new 2015 Genesis is the car that Lincoln should have replaced the TC with. I can't directly comment on that, as haven't reviewed one. But, from what I do know about it, I would tend to agree....it certainly has some nice things about it. I also won't comment much on the NX until I have seen it....but the styling, to me, seems awkward.
Old 08-10-14, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I reviewed an MKC recently that listed for around 40K.....but it lacked AWD, which many buyers would want. Base El-Strippo is 33-34K...but, again, probably not many buyers would choose it.

You do have a point about unproven reliability (and I stated that in my review), especially since it shares a platform with the below-average-reliability Ford Escape. Vehicles derived from the same platform, though, don't always mean similar reliability...as we are seeing at both GM and Chrysler.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
We'll see. The MKZ was certainly a punt, but the MKX and MKS are right around the corner to help out.
The new MKS, IMO, can't come a minute too soon. Except for its nice AWD option that the Town Car haver had, I was simply disgusted with the 1Gen MKS.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply