Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 04:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
3 Reasons the new Cadillacs are not selling:

1. Both exterior and interior styling is not for everyone.

2. Interior tech and functionality is lacking big time.

3. Pricing is CRAZY......Cadillac is not at the point where it can ask for same price as MB, BMW, and Audi or even Lexus. They overpriced themselves before establishing a customer base that buys the brand.
Just because they had some success with the CTS for 1 or 2 generations doesn't mean the Brand is back, not sure what their executives were thinking.
Pricing is crazy too... which leads to incentives... which then leads to low resale value, so we are back at pricing being too high. But it is not a question of just dropping the base price - obviously these cars were designed to sell at these prices, but the market does not agree with GM product planners.
Old 08-10-14, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You forgot reason #4..............and, IMO, the most significant one.

Cadillac, a couple of years ago (like Lincoln and its Town Car), took a huge gamble by dropping the very popular DTS, which had become an American institution with older folks. Neither the Town Car or DTS were replaced with what I'd call proper flagships. That gamble, as I predicted, didn't work at all for Lincoln (which, if the new MKC doesn't succeed, will be on the edge of oblivion), and has only partially worked for Cadillac.
not this again.

The reason the ATS and CTS aren't selling well has nothing to do with the DTS. How was the DTS a "proper flagship car" but the XTS isn't? The DTS was poorly built, terrible interior materials. It was a rental car and a car for people over 80. Nothing to build a brand around. The only issue with the XTS is ride quality and price. It's a MUCH better car than the DTS ever was.

Price is the issue here. Proper flagship is coming. If it's $80k+ though they're going to have the same problem.
Old 08-10-14, 07:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
not this again.

The reason the ATS and CTS aren't selling well has nothing to do with the DTS. How was the DTS a "proper flagship car" but the XTS isn't? The DTS was poorly built, terrible interior materials. It was a rental car and a car for people over 80. Nothing to build a brand around. The only issue with the XTS is ride quality and price. It's a MUCH better car than the DTS ever was.

Price is the issue here. Proper flagship is coming. If it's $80k+ though they're going to have the same problem.
Lol I can only agree with this.
Old 08-10-14, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

There's an old saying in my business "price cures all objections".
Old 08-10-14, 07:43 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
There is no Buick version of the Cadillac cars.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Generally Buicks are just tarted up reworked Chevy's.
Originally Posted by tex2670
Keep waiting for the Buick version--there won't be one.
has this been debunked?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars

Originally Posted by Car & Driver Article
The 2015 Grand National and GNX sedans will ride on GM's new rear-drive Alpha platform, which was introduced with the Cadillac ATS and is earmarked for the sixth-generation Camaro and the third-generation Cadillac CTS.
Old 08-10-14, 08:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

not this again.

I agree. Let the DTS, and Town Car, rest in peace!! They were both mediocre cars at best and for better or worse are dead and gone.

The lack of the DTS is the least of Caddy's worries right now.
Old 08-10-14, 08:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

not this again.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. Let the DTS, and Town Car, rest in peace!! They were both mediocre cars at best and for better or worse are dead and gone.

The lack of the DTS is the least of Caddy's worries right now.

Old 08-10-14, 09:40 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am helping a couple people shop right now for the 40-50k sport sedan type car, big issue if they build an ATS online, see the price and say funk dat, I can get a BMW or Lexus..... I tell them look caddy will discount deep, thats how they play, but they are not the hagglers that the boomers were.... i know everytime i go buy a gmc denali to just take 10-20% off the list then we are talking real world money
Old 08-10-14, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

not this again.

The reason the ATS and CTS aren't selling well has nothing to do with the DTS.
I didn't say it was. The XTS, though, is even more of a problem.

How was the DTS a "proper flagship car" but the XTS isn't? The DTS was poorly built, terrible interior materials. It was a rental car and a car for people over 80.
I agree the interior was second-rate, and that the XTS looks plusher inside (also has a 6AT and the AWD option the DTS lacked). But the XTS, IMO, rides and drives lie an econobox, to a flagship......and yes, I'll say it again

The only issue with the XTS is ride quality and price.
Ride quality is actually more of an issue than price. One does not expect a luxury-level flagship to be cheap. They do, however, expect it to drive like one.

We'll see. I won't comment on it until I see it.
Old 08-10-14, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
I am helping a couple people shop right now for the 40-50k sport sedan type car, big issue if they build an ATS online, see the price and say funk dat, I can get a BMW or Lexus.....

Have them do some reading. A number of magazine review/comparisons have actually picked the ATS over the new, de-sentisized 3-series.
Old 08-10-14, 10:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
has this been debunked?]
The Verano, while a decent car really is a reworked or retooled Cruze. You would surprised how many people bought the Verano last year, I have a friend who works at a Chevy dealer and he says that a lot of people come in and try out a top trom Cruze and then settle foe the base/mid Verano as they feel it drives the same and is the same car. Plus the longer warranty which is a plus for the Cruze class of buyers.

The Cruze, Astra, Verano are all Delta II platform models, they all share the same parts and are just reworked into a different packages.

I have yet to see a Cadillac off the Delta II platform.
Old 08-10-14, 10:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
I am helping a couple people shop right now for the 40-50k sport sedan type car, big issue if they build an ATS online, see the price and say funk dat, I can get a BMW or Lexus..... I tell them look caddy will discount deep, thats how they play, but they are not the hagglers that the boomers were.... i know everytime i go buy a gmc denali to just take 10-20% off the list then we are talking real world money
That pretty much sums of Cadillac, they are very good cars but the brand image is not yet there.
Old 08-10-14, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Lincoln certainly is not any better off since the TC demised. Just look at the stats. They aren't selling. In fact, before the MKC debuted (which does bring some hope), there was actually some talk at Ford of doing away with the brand.
Old 08-10-14, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

not this again.

I agree, the DTS really has nothing to do with the poor sales of the ATS and CTS. The DTS was replaced by the XTS and overall the XTS is a much better car than the DTS it replaced. Personally, I like the XTS.
Old 08-10-14, 10:06 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have them do some reading. A number of magazine review/comparisons have actually picked the ATS over the new, de-sentisized 3-series.
But they are also buying the brand, and if they are going to be associated with caddy it needs to be at a discount over brands with a premium image.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply