Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i will wait for the buick version for $15K less.
Lol or maybe $25k less. Buicks are not up to par with Cadillac, Lexus, Audi etc.
Old 08-09-14, 11:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
There is no Buick version of the Cadillac cars.
Generally Buicks are just tarted up reworked Chevy's. Althougj nicer than a Chevy and the they have better warranties, the chassis dynamics/interiors are nowhere Lexus, Audi or MB products.

The Verano is a retooled Cruze
The Enclave is a Chevy SUV
Encore is a Chevy CUV
Lacrosse is an Impala ???

I believe Buick did use the Caddy Northstar with the Lucerne at one point in time, the Northstar was a great engine when produced, very smooth and quiet although unreliable and expensive to fix.
Old 08-09-14, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think price is a lot of the issue here. Like I said when I first looked at the CTS, I liked a lot of things about it, but optioned up like my $60k GS it was $70k. If i were going to spend $70k for a luxury car in this size class there is no question what I would buy...a well optioned 535i. No question. Its also a VERY competitve segment, maybe the most competitive in the industry. Every model is excellent. Building a car that is great in a lot of ways, but also has a class leading price wasn't smart.

With discounts the CTS can be had $10k under list...but thats still a lot and you can't market that.

Too bad.
Old 08-09-14, 02:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. I also can't decide which segment is most competitive..honestly the compact car and midsize-family sedan segment is pretty intense as well. And they don't have fat profit margins to contend with...they depend on volume.
Old 08-09-14, 02:19 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think price is a lot of the issue here. Like I said when I first looked at the CTS, I liked a lot of things about it, but optioned up like my $60k GS it was $70k. If i were going to spend $70k for a luxury car in this size class there is no question what I would buy...a well optioned 535i. No question. Its also a VERY competitve segment, maybe the most competitive in the industry. Every model is excellent. Building a car that is great in a lot of ways, but also has a class leading price wasn't smart.

With discounts the CTS can be had $10k under list...but thats still a lot and you can't market that.

Too bad.
Agreed, pricing is definitely a turnoff despite their 0% for 60 months
Old 08-09-14, 03:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Great news for anybody looking to buy one. Should be able to cut a good deal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
The ATS is nice -- I wish I was in the market now.
Old 08-09-14, 03:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
this.

these cars are overpriced. you put any options on the ATS and it is quickly north of $50K. that's a lot of coin for a vehicle with mediocre looks and from what i hear a subpar transmission. i will wait for the buick version for $15K less.
That was my initial reaction--but there are deep discounts. I March, you could have snagged a Performance or Premium ATS for $7,000 off MSRP, according to TrueCar.

As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder--I love the looks of the ATS, so long as it is Performance or Premium with LED DRLs.

Keep waiting for the Buick version--there won't be one. But--you could get a Regal with essentially the same 2.0T engine. But the TrueCar discounts on a Regal GS are way lower than the ATS--the prices aren't that far off if you are going for a higher end ATS.
Old 08-09-14, 04:11 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A combination of the traditional GM screw ups of matching supply and demand, and outrageous thought process they could over charge for their product. What else is new.
Old 08-09-14, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Verano is a retooled Cruze
http://www.autoblog.com/buick/verano/

Originally Posted by autoblog
Those of you who still think of the Buick Verano as some sort of callously badge-engineered, gussied up version of the Chevrolet Cruze ("Why would anyone spend that much money on Buick's Cruze?" you may have been heard to mutter) have got the wrong idea.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe Buick did use the Caddy Northstar with the Lucerne at one point in time, the Northstar was a great engine when produced, very smooth and quiet although unreliable and expensive to fix.
Here you are correct. The Lucerne, in fact, did use a slightly modified 4.6L Northstar in its Super version (Bob Lutz himself owned one). The V8 Super version, like the top-line Buick Electra, Park Avenue, and Roadmaster long before it, was characterized by four portholes (or imitation portholes) in the front fenders, instead of the lesser three.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-14 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A short time ago, cars.com listed the cars with the highest and lowest Days Of Supply, and at that time the XTS had the highest DOS of all of the cars listed.
Test-drive one, and you'll find out why. IMO, the much less expensive Chevy Impala, done on the same platform, trumps it in several areas.
Old 08-09-14, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

Keep waiting for the Buick version--there won't be one.
As far as a RWD Buick goes, there is some hope for an upcoming Grand National/GNX version of the Chevy SS...but I wouldn't hold my breath. And you are correct....no ATS equivalent for Buick.

But--you could get a Regal with essentially the same 2.0T engine.
The Regal, like the ATS, now also has an AWD option....something it lacked in previous years. The Regal, like the Verano, is done essentially on an Americanized Opel platform. Regals use the slightly larger Opel Insignia platform, as opposed to the slightly smaller Verano's Opel Astra. The Regal GS, like the Verano Turbo, also offers a real manual transmission and clutch for those so inclined. Road & Track magazine was very impressed with the Regal GS they put through a long term Four-Seasons test.
Old 08-09-14, 08:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

3 Reasons the new Cadillacs are not selling:

1. Both exterior and interior styling is not for everyone.

2. Interior tech and functionality is lacking big time.

3. Pricing is CRAZY......Cadillac is not at the point where it can ask for same price as MB, BMW, and Audi or even Lexus. They overpriced themselves before establishing a customer base that buys the brand.
Just because they had some success with the CTS for 1 or 2 generations doesn't mean the Brand is back, not sure what their executives were thinking.
Old 08-09-14, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
3 Reasons the new Cadillacs are not selling:

1. Both exterior and interior styling is not for everyone.

2. Interior tech and functionality is lacking big time.

3. Pricing is CRAZY......Cadillac is not at the point where it can ask for same price as MB, BMW, and Audi or even Lexus. They overpriced themselves before establishing a customer base that buys the brand.
Just because they had some success with the CTS for 1 or 2 generations doesn't mean the Brand is back, not sure what their executives were thinking.:
You forgot reason #4..............and, IMO, the most significant one.

Cadillac, a couple of years ago (like Lincoln and its Town Car), took a huge gamble by dropping the very popular DTS, which had become an American institution with older folks. Neither the Town Car or DTS were replaced with what I'd call proper flagships. That gamble, as I predicted, didn't work at all for Lincoln (which, if the new MKC doesn't succeed, will be on the edge of oblivion), and has only partially worked for Cadillac.
Old 08-09-14, 10:40 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what everyone else has said so far... sad because these are great cars, but they are also too expensive.

Looking at base prices...

A6 2.0T FWD is $44k
CTS 2.0T is $46k
GS 350 is $48k
CTS 3.6 is $55k
A6 3.0T is $56k

Cadillac is still fighting for Mercedes' and BMW's scraps in this segment, just like Lexus and Audi. Problem for Caddy is that Audi and Lexus are more prestigious and have been playing in this segment for a lot longer and are generally more desirable. You can get a loaded GS 350 for the price of a base CTS 3.6 (not counting incentives). Caddy needed to be more conservative with pricing... 2.0T should have been around $44k, 3.6 should start around $48k and V Sport should start around $55k. CTS is still a new product and we are a year away from new E Class and refreshed A6 and GS, which will have the volume GS 200t model.

Not a good outlook for Caddy.
Old 08-10-14, 04:18 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

The ATS will be challenged by the 2.0t Lexus in the IS. Even if these two were the same price, I'd much rather have a modern Lexus/Toyota power train than a GM parts bin combo. The prospect of the Lexus having better dependability and less depreciation matters too. I would consider an ATS, but it would need to be about $10k cheaper than the Lexus.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply