Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only credible reasons I can think of are the XTS's 6AT, AWD option, and better-looking interior trim. Other than that, the XTS, IMO, is a joke.
you've certainly expressed over and over how bad you think the XTS is, especially the ride, but the press seems overall, to like it.

this from edmunds, for example:
Comfort is king for a big Cadillac, and the XTS doesn't disappoint. The same adaptive suspension that keeps the body composed in corners provides a firm yet buttery-smooth ride on most surfaces. It's far from the floaty Cadillac land yachts of yore, but when you're rolling down the highway in an XTS, there's no doubt you're in the lap of luxury.
the CUE system needs a bit of work, but it's not terrible.

Well, either way, the XTS name probably won't be around very long. Its successor LTS is in the works, which will be RWD and more of a traditional Cadillac flagship.
i'd be surprised if cadillac drops the xts, as the lts is MUCH bigger, isn't it? and likely rwd?
Old 08-13-14, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you've certainly expressed over and over how bad you think the XTS is, especially the ride, but the press seems overall, to like it.

Their opinion noted and respected, but I speak for myself....not the auto press. If I was going to speak for the auto press, I wouldn't waste time doing my own reviews.

Actually, I've seen and reviewed much worse vehicles. The XTS is not a terrible car...I called it a joke simply because, IMO, it is not a proper Cadillac flagship. I said more or less the same thing about the XTS's arch-rival Lincoln MKS.

SW13GS, who initially agreed with me on the poor ride, suggested, though, that because of recent (possible) changes to the XTS's suspension/tires (and other reviewers calling it comfortable), it might be worth another test-drive for both of us. I'm open-minded enough to maybe give it another try.....I found that some (not all) of my earlier criticisms of the Lexus ES350's newly-firmer ride were mitigated by higher temperatures and softer tire rubber and shock-fluid.

It seems to be one of the things holding up recent Cadillac sales. Potential buyers just don't like it. Neither does Consumer Reports.

i'd be surprised if cadillac drops the xts, as the lts is MUCH bigger, isn't it? and likely rwd?
I wouldn't bet on the XTS staying around once the LTS debuts. I don't think many are going to want it. If it does stay around, it will be like the Hyundai Azera......a FWD sedan, sitting around on the lot with few sales, overshadowed by the larger RWD Genesis and Equus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't bet on the XTS staying around once the LTS debuts. I don't think many are going to want it.
the xts may well be the biggest current cadillac sedan, but i never viewed it as a 'flagship'. and while the xts may not sell well today, of course it too can and will change. a refresh or new version could well (and most likely will) be much better.

also, the lts may well be MUCH more expensive.
Old 08-13-14, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

also, the lts may well be MUCH more expensive.
Might be worth it, though.....it promises to be more car. I'll reserve judgement on that, though, until I see it in person. All we have, so far, are those usual bull**** covers and bras that auto manufacturers love to use and play Peek-a-Boo with.
Old 08-13-14, 09:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Only thing wrong are the prices lol. If they were a few k lower they would sell much better
Old 08-14-14, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the XTS is freaking awesome. I recently was in one for a long trip, excellent interior and ride was nice and smooth and quiet. The XTS easily has the best interior fitted into a Caddy and 400+ hp is amazing.
Old 08-14-14, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Only thing wrong are the prices lol. If they were a few k lower they would sell much better
Then there is something wrong with the brand then , the brand cannot command the prices.
Old 08-14-14, 11:21 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was recently in an XTS livery cab in NYC and I don't know what the fuss is over the ride. Yes, it was harsher than the crown vic and town car livery cabs I've ridden but no where near the deal breaker some are saying it is. Maybe it was a more recent version, as this was the first time I was in one. Sped over NYC bumps and potholes like a champ and it was quite comfy in the back.

I don't think the XTS will/should go away. My understanding is that the LTS will be bigger, RWD, and much more expensive. But once the it does come out, maybe the XTS should really become the DTS replacement. Soften up the suspension some more, get rid of the CUE, offer the vinyl roof option, and whitewall tires. LOL
Old 08-14-14, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
But once the it does come out, maybe the XTS should really become the DTS replacement. Soften up the suspension some more, get rid of the CUE, offer the vinyl roof option, and whitewall tires. LOL
Might pass on the vinyl roof and the whitewall tires (both a PITA to keep clean)...but, yes, a softer chassis and dumping the CUE would probably increase the car's sales.
Old 08-14-14, 03:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I was recently in an XTS livery cab in NYC and I don't know what the fuss is over the ride. Yes, it was harsher than the crown vic and town car livery cabs I've ridden but no where near the deal breaker some are saying it is. Maybe it was a more recent version, as this was the first time I was in one. Sped over NYC bumps and potholes like a champ and it was quite comfy in the back.

I don't think the XTS will/should go away. My understanding is that the LTS will be bigger, RWD, and much more expensive. But once the it does come out, maybe the XTS should really become the DTS replacement. Soften up the suspension some more, get rid of the CUE, offer the vinyl roof option, and whitewall tires. LOL

Funny. A couple of months ago when visiting a Caddy dealership for their $100 gift card test drive offer, the dealership had an otherwise nice enough pearl white XTS on the floor. BUT it had a navy blue vinyl/cloth looking roof, gold badges and whitewalls with the gold ring on them. Who knows, maybe it sold faster than the ATS, CTS SRX and normal XTS on the floor.
Old 08-14-14, 06:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe they could give a new nickname... the JitterBug Caddi

like the phone for old luddites...

Old 08-14-14, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[/U][/I][/B]

Funny. A couple of months ago when visiting a Caddy dealership for their $100 gift card test drive offer, the dealership had an otherwise nice enough pearl white XTS on the floor. BUT it had a navy blue vinyl/cloth looking roof, gold badges and whitewalls with the gold ring on them. Who knows, maybe it sold faster than the ATS, CTS SRX and normal XTS on the floor.
Yes....they also had one of those in the showroom when I reviewed the XTS. It's a dealer-added package, obviously aimed at those who remember the big Cadillacs from the 1970s and 80s.
Old 08-14-14, 08:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The XTS Vsport is a compelling alternative to those RWD stablemates offering big luxury and more than enough performance for the everyday. The XTS is like Cadillac's 'ES' albeit one size up once the ATS, CTS and LTS become the core RWD sedan offerings no different than IS, GS, LS, A4, A6, A8, 3, 5, 7, C, E, S, XE, XF, XJ.
Old 08-15-14, 01:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[/U][/I][/B]

Same here. To me, THAT is the biggest hinderance to Caddy's renaissance. I have seen 1 or 2 Lexus LS's with the vinyl top, but you would never see that on the dealer's showroom floor. And I have never seen a German car with that treatment.

Caddy needs to let go--and compel their dealers to do so. Offer referrals to a local body shop that will do that treatment, if you want to cater to your customers.
Old 08-15-14, 02:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Same here. To me, THAT is the biggest hinderance to Caddy's renaissance. I have seen 1 or 2 Lexus LS's with the vinyl top, but you would never see that on the dealer's showroom floor. And I have never seen a German car with that treatment.

Caddy needs to let go--and compel their dealers to do so. Offer referrals to a local body shop that will do that treatment, if you want to cater to your customers.
I agree. The one I saw in this clean modern showroom looked out of place. I'm old enough to qualify for one of these packages, but they look cheesy, overdone and really out of date.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply