Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need an inexpensive AWD vehicle for yourself or your family?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Need an inexpensive AWD vehicle for yourself or your family?

Are you interested in a new budget-priced AWD vehicle for your son or daughter going away to school in a bad-weather climate, or just as an inexpensive way yourself to deal with snowstorms and other foul-weather gremlins that Mother Nature can (and often does) dish out?

Well, right now (August), for those who are, there's both good and bad news. You may be wondering why I am writing an thread on what are essentially winter-type vehicles in early August. The good news is that this is often a good time of year to deal on not only a new vehicle in general (as dealers are typically clearing out stocks of 2014 models on the lot to make room for new 2015 replacement,, making deals in the process), but AWD vehicles in particular. Once the snowflakes start flying in November or December and roads start to get slippery, dealerships will usually have less incentive to make AWD discounts...though sometimes the Christmas shopping season can have a positive effect, since many shoppers usually aren't buying new cars then, but typical Holiday gifts.

The bad news, though, at least as far as I see it, is that some of the best deals in low-priced AWD vehicles are now gone from the American market. I used to recommend both the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe AWD twins and the very inexpensive AWD Suzuki SX-4. Both were not only inexpensive but reliable. Toyota decided to discontinue the Corolla-based Matrix Hatchback in the American market, and its (rebadged) Pontiac Vibe twin, of course, died with Pontiac several years ago. The AWD Suzuki SX-4 was a steal, starting at only around 15K (cheaper at the time than some FWD subcompacts), but its Achilles heel was a gross lack of Suzuki automotive dealerships in the U.S., and the parent company, of course, is now gone....they pulled out of the U.S.

More good news, though. One classlc low-priced AWD vehicle, the Subaru Impreza, is still left here in the U.S......and, by "low-priced", I'm refering to the high-teens to around 20K in base-price. And a few others come close....as I'll get to in a minute. But, right now, for the best combination of low price, reliability, and AWD traction, I'd recommend the Impreza. Leftover 2014 models start just below 18K, though automatic transmission (CVT) models run a little higher. The Impreza, according to Consumer Reports, has a long history of better-than-average reliability, and AWD is standard in them, as it is with all American-Market Subarus except the RWD BR-Z sports coupe. It also is rated at an exellent 36 Highway MPG....unusually for a non-hybrid AWD vehicle. Even with options, out-the-door prices for non-WRX/STI Imprezas usually don't run much above the low 20s. Imprezas come in both 4-door sedan and 5-door hatchback versions.

There are some other good choices, though, for not a whole lot more money...starting out in the low-to-mid 20s. The Subaru XV Crosstrek is essentially a Mini-Outback.....an Impreza with a raised suspension and added ground clearance for deep snow. Non-turbo versions of the Subaru Forester start out in the same general range......the Forester, an Impreza-platform-based compact SUV, also has the advantage of a square, shoe-box design which means good outward visibility and interior space efficiency. The Nissan Rogue Select, another compact SUV, starts out around 21-22K, but AWD costs roughly $1500 extra (the Rogue Select, for 2014, is essentially the last-generation Rogue, which Nissan carried over when the all-new second-generation Rogue debuted last year). The Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage, also compact SUVs, are reasonably reliable, have an excellent warranty, and also start around 21-22K.....but AWD is also roughly $1500 extra. With the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, though AWD models start just over 22K. Check and see, though, if a Mitsubishi dealership is reasonably close to your home, as, like with Suzuki before they left, Mitsubishi shops tend to be few and far between. Other good choices, for only a little more money (mid-high 20s with AWD) are the ultra-reliable and extremely well-built Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, (also well-built but, IMO, not as nice as the CR-V), and, if you or your son/daughter likes slightly more of a sporting feel, the Mazda CX-5. The Ford Escape also sells in the same price range, but I don't personally rercommend it for two reasons, especially if you carry pasengers in the rear seat....the rear seat cushion is awful (like a park bench), and, according to Consumer reports, it has a below-average reliability record so far.

Good Luck.....and as usual, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wish that more entry-level cars under 20K were available with AWD, but the manufacturers, for the most part, just don't see it that way. Some of them offer AWD at that price level in other markets, but not in the U.S.
Old 08-08-14, 04:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think most auto manufacturers probably laughed at Subaru for going with standard AWD....but who's laughing now?!??!?!

Subaru is doing excellent!
Old 08-08-14, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I think most auto manufacturers probably laughed at Subaru for going with standard AWD....but who's laughing now?!??!?!

Subaru is doing excellent!
I owned an Outback for almost 7 years. Most versatile car I ever owned. Reliable, but not quite as reliable as the Lexus IS300 I owned before it.
Old 08-08-14, 07:32 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On our 3rd Element EX AWD for the wife.

Keeping it as long as possible... Economical, versatile, reliable.

Besides the semi-rough ride, it's a great AWD vehicle.
Old 08-08-14, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
On our 3rd Element EX AWD for the wife.

Keeping it as long as possible... Economical, versatile, reliable.

Besides the semi-rough ride, it's a great AWD vehicle.
Unfortunately, the Element is now out of production, but its basic mechanicals and platform carry on in the somewhat less-versatile CR-V.
Old 08-09-14, 06:32 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru sales are on fire right now in my region. My dealership is on a 15-day inventory and over half of my next allocation is already sold.
Old 08-09-14, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
Subaru sales are on fire right now in my region. My dealership is on a 15-day inventory and over half of my next allocation is already sold.
Probably buyers taking advantage of the end-of-year deals I mentioned above.
Old 08-10-14, 01:11 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unfortunately, the Element is now out of production, but its basic mechanicals and platform carry on in the somewhat less-versatile CR-V.
Yes, I drove a new CR-V recently and it is very nice... It even rides nice and smooth compared to our 45k mile Element.
Only drawback is, we could probably only fit half the amount of stuff into the CR-V

Oh well, we'll have to cross that hurdle when the time comes...
Old 08-10-14, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Yes, I drove a new CR-V recently and it is very nice... It even rides nice and smooth compared to our 45k mile Element.
Only drawback is, we could probably only fit half the amount of stuff into the CR-V
As you note, the CR-V has a reputation for a smooth ride by compact SUV standards. But the CR-V, of course, lacks the hose-it-out, water-resistant interior materials of the Element for easy cleaning. That was one of the Element's main selling points. But both of them, sharing the same Honda mechanicals, have been very reliable. A close friend of mine ought a new Element for his wife the first year it came out (2002 or 2003, if I remember), and it has run reliable ever since, with no major repairs and only minor accident damage repaired when they got rear-ended.

Oh well, we'll have to cross that hurdle when the time comes...

Good Luck.

If AWD is not needed, and you like the Element's boxy space efficiency, two good substitutes (besides a FWD CR-V or RAV-4), are the Kia Soul and the Scion xB. Both, like the CR-V, lack the Element's rubberized easy-clean interior, but share the good space efficiency in a slightly smaller size. The Soul has been reasonably reliable; the Scion has Toyota reliability, and the Soul has an extremely long warranty....transferable to members of the immediate family. The Scion, like all Scions, sells Saturn-stle....full list price, with no bargaining, but it's reasonably-priced to start with.
Old 08-10-14, 10:36 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

I have yet to own a AWD vehicle, if I did Subaru would be at the top of the list.
Old 08-11-14, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I have yet to own a AWD vehicle, if I did Subaru would be at the top of the list.

Hard to beat Subies for a well-designed AWD system, although on some models, for the last 5 or 6 years, they have been substituting electronic torque-transfer to the rear wheels for the previous (end very effective) mechanical LSD (Limited-Slip Differential). I owned an LSD-equipped Outback that simply laughed at just about anything winter could send it....but I don't need a winter snow-bunny now as much as in the past because I'm retired and don't regularly commute anymore.
Old 08-11-14, 12:55 PM
kaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

owned an Impreza RS and then WRX and now on a 4 month wait list for a 2015 STi, i have to say subaru forever
Old 08-11-14, 06:41 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As you note, the CR-V has a reputation for a smooth ride by compact SUV standards. But the CR-V, of course, lacks the hose-it-out, water-resistant interior materials of the Element for easy cleaning. That was one of the Element's main selling points. But both of them, sharing the same Honda mechanicals, have been very reliable. A close friend of mine ought a new Element for his wife the first year it came out (2002 or 2003, if I remember), and it has run reliable ever since, with no major repairs and only minor accident damage repaired when they got rear-ended.

Good Luck.

If AWD is not needed, and you like the Element's boxy space efficiency, two good substitutes (besides a FWD CR-V or RAV-4), are the Kia Soul and the Scion xB. Both, like the CR-V, lack the Element's rubberized easy-clean interior, but share the good space efficiency in a slightly smaller size. The Soul has been reasonably reliable; the Scion has Toyota reliability, and the Soul has an extremely long warranty....transferable to members of the immediate family. The Scion, like all Scions, sells Saturn-stle....full list price, with no bargaining, but it's reasonably-priced to start with.

That "selling point" that the salesman used was completely fabricated and false. There are no drain plugs in the E, trust me, it wouldn't be good for the longevity of the E. Regardless, the E is still ridiculously easy to clean. I simply vacuum, and then use a rag with soapy water bucket. Done. So easy! It's especially nice for me b/c my wife is a horticulturist and she gets soil from plants in the E quite often.
The next car will definitely have to have wearhertech floor mats/cargo liner b/c of this constant issue.

As for the next Car, it will probably be a Toyota or honda product. Scion makes great vehicles, but will be too small for our family. Can't bring myself to buy a Kia...
Old 08-11-14, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kaze
owned an Impreza RS and then WRX and now on a 4 month wait list for a 2015 STi, i have to say subaru forever
Congratulations on the new STi. That can hardly be considered an inexpensive AWD vehicle, though. I've heard of some versions topping 40K.

Quick Reply: Need an inexpensive AWD vehicle for yourself or your family?