Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus plans $375,000 LFA successor

Old 08-09-14, 02:49 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
There are millions of millionaire's and only about 1,000 billionaire's in the world.

Definitely exciting to see a 2LFA come out from Lexus...
Right, but this car is squarely out of range for "middle class millionaires" in the $1M to $5M range (not including primary residence) and yet that's precisely where most millionaires reside, and $5M is bare, bare minimum for being able to afford a ~$400k supercar.

Actually, aren't the LFA sales numbers somewhat deceptive in that a large proportion of LFAs were purchased by dealerships and not by individuals?

Don't get me wrong, I love having a halo car like the LFA but I wish there was something more in the $100k range. It's not an either/or thing for me. I want both
Old 08-09-14, 03:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Company spokesperson Brian Lyons apparently said this wouldn't happen until 30 years from now. I'm confused.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/09/l...lfa-successor/
Old 08-09-14, 04:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Right, but this car is squarely out of range for "middle class millionaires" in the $1M to $5M range (not including primary residence) and yet that's precisely where most millionaires reside, and $5M is bare, bare minimum for being able to afford a ~$400k supercar.

Actually, aren't the LFA sales numbers somewhat deceptive in that a large proportion of LFAs were purchased by dealerships and not by individuals?

Don't get me wrong, I love having a halo car like the LFA but I wish there was something more in the $100k range. It's not an either/or thing for me. I want both
The upcoming LF-LC aka SC around $120K
Old 08-09-14, 06:36 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The upcoming LF-LC aka SC around $120K
I've heard! I'm glad you brought that up I had forgotten about that car . I'm really excited about that car. The LF-LC concept is an absolutely stunner
Old 08-09-14, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Very vague statement, no timeline, no details, no specs, nothing really. I would not get any hopes up based on this vague statement of anything coming for a while, they still have to finish and put the LF-LC out which is a few years away before they can start really going to work on a LFA successor or maybe a version of the LF-LC will be the LFA successor which would be the only real way it comes sooner and has a more realistic price they can actually sell in decent numbers.
Old 08-09-14, 09:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29

That is true about many LFA's being sold to dealerships where they end up just sitting, several have been put on Ebay a while ago too. I think something in the 150K or 160K range would make much more sense and would be able to generate decent sales and allow people to actually maybe see one on the road or at the dealership.
Old 08-09-14, 10:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Company spokesperson Brian Lyons apparently said this wouldn't happen until 30 years from now. I'm confused.

That was the biggest line of BS I've heard all year in car news. No way on earth they'd wait 30 years to do something like the LFA again. By then, the LFA would be a distant memory and all competitors would have had multiple, fresh, high-end products to feed the wealthy. And no way any brand would be crazy enough to only build one exotic car per each generation of people. No premium brand has ever done that because having that few cars to go around with such a big gap would never fly or carry a company's momentum. This make-believe story is just a cover-up to buy time while they have no particular vehicle in the pipeline. I'd rather them be honest with us, than to lie that badly to us. Shame again corporate Toyota people for feeding us this bullcrap story and shame on anyone who believes such silly antics.
The real story in corporate is the regret of ending LFA production prematurely, when demand was still off the chart.
Old 08-09-14, 11:29 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The real story in corporate is the regret of ending LFA production prematurely, when demand was still off the chart.
Lexus should have gone right into make 500 convertible LFA's, take a break then go right into 2LFA.
Old 08-10-14, 05:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they need to make more than 500 this time around
Old 08-10-14, 10:51 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is true about many LFA's being sold to dealerships where they end up just sitting, several have been put on Ebay a while ago too. I think something in the 150K or 160K range would make much more sense and would be able to generate decent sales and allow people to actually maybe see one on the road or at the dealership.
Maybe initially. However, many of them were sold to private owners eventually. Presently, very few LFAs are with dealership. Majority of them have been sold to private buyers. Even the #032 black LFA with over 40,000 miles that was used for many journalists/press events and Scott Pruett hot laps, was sold to a private customer. There were a few that were imported from US to other countries like Canada or Eastern Europe etc. by buyers. There are at least 3 used American-spec LFAs in Canada.

There is definitely an LFA 2 in the works. Way too much evidence. The LFA Code X uses a brand new longer wheel base full carbon fiber chassis (LFA was 70% carbon fiber) with a new re-worked 5.3 Liter V10 that has had great success in racing.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-10-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 02:12 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Rolla, I love you but your representations of fact need some serious reconsiderations.

The high mileage LFA is still waiting for a home.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...73679547&Log=0

Fizz, where did the demand off the chart hoo hah come from. The truth is a large percentage of the US units went to dealerships. Some kept them for themselves and many have been sitting in showrooms for a couple of years now with no buyer.

Back to Toyota, I was told no vert was coming prior to production being started. We also heard from the guy in Atlanta who had 2 LFAs that the cost to produce was really double the selling price (i.e. the project made it to completion but Toyota put a limit on the bleeding).
Old 08-10-14, 05:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Well, I just know corporate Lexus had sold the #032 and only has P014 now for press events etc. I did not know it was to another dealership (or to a private customer who in turn, flipped the car).

#032 might be up for sale, but without looking at the price for an LFA with 31,000 miles, there is no conclusion I can draw. For all I know, they might be asking for $375,000 for a used 31,000 miles LFA. Who knows?

Regarding other LFAs at dealership, one search at DuPont registry would give me some rough approximation of how many are up for sale. There are only 12 of them available for sale (private and dealership sales) with the cheapest price of $335,000 for used LFAs and as high as $465,000 (for NE).

Now doing the math of 12 out of 178 original LFAs that were imported to the US, that is not a high number.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/results/lexus/lfa

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Rolla, I love you but your representations of fact need some serious reconsiderations.

The high mileage LFA is still waiting for a home.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...73679547&Log=0

Fizz, where did the demand off the chart hoo hah come from. The truth is a large percentage of the US units went to dealerships. Some kept them for themselves and many have been sitting in showrooms for a couple of years now with no buyer.

Back to Toyota, I was told no vert was coming prior to production being started. We also heard from the guy in Atlanta who had 2 LFAs that the cost to produce was really double the selling price (i.e. the project made it to completion but Toyota put a limit on the bleeding).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-10-14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 05:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it would be awesome if they did a 'refreshed' lfa in the interim. probably not going to happen though.
An LFA with a spindle grill and another 50 horsepower would qualify as a refreshed car. Let's do it.
Old 08-13-14, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That was the biggest line of BS I've heard all year in car news. No way on earth they'd wait 30 years to do something like the LFA again. By then, the LFA would be a distant memory and all competitors would have had multiple, fresh, high-end products to feed the wealthy. And no way any brand would be crazy enough to only build one exotic car per each generation of people. No premium brand has ever done that because having that few cars to go around with such a big gap would never fly or carry a company's momentum. This make-believe story is just a cover-up to buy time while they have no particular vehicle in the pipeline. I'd rather them be honest with us, than to lie that badly to us. Shame again corporate Toyota people for feeding us this bullcrap story and shame on anyone who believes such silly antics.
I hung out with Brian for a couple of days in Japan and I just want to clear some things up. The man has as outstanding history with the company as anyone and his word is as good as anything. He has a long storied history throughout Toyota and has been a major part of PR for sometime. He is as friendly and knowledgeable as anyone I've ever met I soaked us as much as I could.

It seems some person/people did jump the gun and misinterpret some words from Templin. From my knowledge all eyes are on the LF-LC/SC. I believe we heard a LFA could come 20-30 years from now from Lexus International and that is what Brian is referring too.

While we would love a LFA II, Lexus is not an exotic car company. And to anyone in here still hating on the LFA it is the greatest car Japan has ever produced and will be for sometime. Deal with it.

It seems this thread was linked as part of the misinformation being spread and I was a part of it