Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

but it will happen.
While I respect your opinion, I'm not quite as certain of that as you are. I've been around long enough to see a lot of predicted so-called "space-age" things in the future never materialize. In my lifetime, we were all supposed to have flying cars, travel in magnetic tunnels, ride 300MPH trains, miracle-cures for cancer, walk around in heated/cooled suits, take shuttle-trips at warp-speeds to a colonized moon and other planets....the lists go on and on.

Now....could self driving cars happen? Of course.....given enough other things coming into place. But I'll be very surprised if I see it in my lifetime....which, BTW, is the way I prefer it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've been around long enough to see a lot of predicted so-called "space-age" things in the future never materialize.
autonomous cars were just made legal in britain.

google autonomous cars are driving on public roads in california and i believe in nevada also. this is not a fantasy - it's already real.

and as has already been shown in this thread, the Q50 can practically drive itself and the s-class video i posted showed that it can actually drive itself, even in complex in city conditions.

but yes, it won't be for everyone, but its popularity will make 'human driving' seem laughable in the future and a waste of time and dangerous.
Old 08-10-14, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I dont understand how you can equate autonomous cars to "space aged" things when you see it with your own eyes lol. It exists.

So we don't have flying cars, look at all the things you thought were "space aged" we DO have? Do you honestly not believe we'll have a cure for cancer? Just think of the technology we will have in all sectors of life in 20-30-40 years.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-10-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I dont understand how you can equate autonomous cars to "space aged" things when you see it with your own eyes lol. It exists.
It doesn't exist for the American masses. It probably won't for some time, if ever.

So we don't have flying cars, look at all the things you thought were "space aged" we DO have?
With the exception of cellphones, GPS, and the Internet, many of us live pretty much the same way we did decades ago.....eat the same food (hopefully a more healthful diet), wear most of the same clothes, and sleep in the same beds. What's different today is mostly in communications.....which are far more advanced.

Do you honestly not believe we'll have a cure for cancer? .
I honestly don't know........if the truth be told, nobody knows. Cancer has eluded a cure because we still don't completely know all the things that trigger it and how it spreads. People still are unwilling to give up some of the things that we DO know, though, causes it....like tobacco and marijuana smoke.
Old 08-10-14, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are google cars on the road in America with this technology today lol. Put your head in the sand if you want, but the tech is coming. The car that is the subject of this thread is for sale now and available in America. And it's an entry level luxury car!

Do you think Google and Mercedes and whoever else have invested millions and millions on this tech to not sell it to the public? Why would they do that? What's the purpose?

I see many differences in how we live our lives compared to how we lived our lives when I was a kid, let alone when you were a kid. Technology should add to our lives, not necessarily fundamentally change our lives. I'm sad for you that you find change and progress so difficult to accept.
Old 08-10-14, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
There are google cars on the road in America with this technology today lol. Put your head in the sand if you want, but the tech is coming. The car that is the subject of this thread is for sale now and available in America. And it's an entry level luxury car!

Before you accuse me of putting my head in the sand, just stop and think a minute. Where is the infrastructure for all of those self-driving cars coming from? GPS satellites themselves can't do it all simply through NAV systems....it will also take electronic roadways. That will take a lot of money and a lot of time....especially at the glacial pace that today's governments take to get anything accomplished because of red tape. Then, once you get electron roadways, you have to protect them from the elements. That will require another whole level of research, time, and money. I'll probably be long gone by the time it's even anywhere near complete....and then you guys can deal with the mess.

I'm sad for you that you find change and progress so difficult to accept.
There's nothing wrong with change when it makes sense. If I didn't accept change, I wouldn't be posting this, on the Internet, using a computer, right now, as we speak. But not all change can be labelled "progress".

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-14 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Watch the videos. The car reads it's surroundings itself. It uses GPS, google earth, etc to find a route. . Do some research, it's remarkable. These cars are driving themselves without electronic roadways, they aren't necessary.

I did some research into what Google is doing after what was posted here. I was wrong, this tech is here, it will only get better with more time
Old 08-10-14, 11:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Dyslexia moment, just read the title as This 'Mormon'
Old 08-11-14, 01:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Cops should issue huge tickets for these kind of stuff. If the system fails, or anything goes

wrong, the driver is not only putting his own life on the line, but people around him as well.

I don't think we are ready yet.
we are not ready for a car, let alone a self driving car if I had to go by your reasoning.

According to your logic, Which moron gives a 16year old a car that can drive 100mph with 4 friends?
Old 08-13-14, 12:07 PM
LexFather

What I find very interesting is Infiniti used to be the "Japanese BMW" and here is a video showing their new car not being driven. This has been posted on quite a few news blogs so they are getting press for it one way or the other.

Its the future and while he is crazy and this was dangerous it shows the system at work. What is really ridiculous though is he can do this but he cannot use the NAV while driving lol

Old 08-13-14, 04:35 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually might make since. Would this be a good car for a person that has seisures or like sleep apney or something that might fall asleep at the wheel accidently? And if so, would the car automattically stop or something? either out of gas or something?
Old 08-13-14, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sleep apnea doesn't make you fall asleep at the wheel, but the answer is no. If you have seizures and they are uncontrolled, you shouldn't be driving a car...period.
Old 08-13-14, 05:06 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

This feature is pretty neat, not that I would use it but it shows us how far technology has advanced. I'd still take a manual transmission any day lol!
Old 12-23-14, 05:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Self Driving Vehicles News thread

To be tested in Northern California in 2015

Google has taken the wraps off its self-driving vehicle in production guise.

“The best holiday gift”, as described by the company, now features several legally required items, such as the functional headlights and indicators, larger side mirrors, new wheels, the addition of steering wheels and pedals and a restyled terrain sensor on the roof. Google explains this is the “first complete prototype for fully autonomous driving”.

The car will be tested “on the streets of Northern California in the new year”. Interestingly, test drivers will continue to oversee the vehicle, “using temporary manual controls as needed while we continue to test and learn”.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412238...roduction-form
Old 12-23-14, 06:00 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Google unveils fully autonomous, hands-free car prototype [w/videos]

In concept form.

Click here to view photo gallery

Welcome to the future, friends. Google has unveiled its first self-driving car. This isn't like past attempts, though. It's not a Toyota Prius or Lexus RX with a bunch of bulky computer equipment, but Google's very own car, built from scratch. That'd be a big enough deal in and of itself, but this car is exciting for another reason – there are no manual controls. No brake pedal, gas pedal, gear shift or steering wheel. It's completely and totally autonomous, requiring nothing more than an address.

"On the inside, we've designed for learning, not luxury." – Chris Urmson
As is the case with most autonomous cars, Google's latest effort depends on a series of cameras and sensors to let the computer know what's happening around it. We've already detailed Google's most recent advances in this regard.

The car, which was unveiled by CEO Sergey Brin yesterday, is limited to 25 miles per hour. The interior is as basic as the car's top speed, with little more than a set of seats. Interior trim is limited – the roof, for example, looks like bare sheetmetal with an integrated roll cage.

"On the inside, we've designed for learning, not luxury, so we're light on creature comforts, but we'll have two seats (with seat belts), a space for passengers' belongings, buttons to start and stop and a screen that shows the route-and that's about it," wrote the director for Google's self-driving car project, Chris Urmson, in a blog post.

According to Urmson, Google will build about 100 prototypes, with testing set to begin later this summer. As for public use, the tech giant is aiming to launch a California-based pilot program "in the next few years."

Of course, we'll be sure to follow up on this project as it progresses. In the meantime, scroll down for a short video from Google, which shows the first impressions of some of the car's very first public drivers.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/28/g...ree-car-video/

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles