Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 10:13 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very very much looking forward to self-driving cars and kicking back as my or a rented vehicle takes me where i need or want to go.
Agreed! I cannot wait to take a nap in the car while it drives me to work each day
Old 08-09-14, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

i think you need to watch this. we're close...
I will admit...its a lot further along than I thought.
Old 08-09-14, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Agreed! I cannot wait to take a nap in the car while it drives me to work each day

Some drivers are basically taking naps NOW.
Old 08-09-14, 02:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the next S class 6-7 years from now may actually debut with self driving technology. Automakers have said that we should have them by 2020. We just need the law to catch up.

Pretty amazing when you realize that the car is using only stereoscopic camera and radar. Only a few years ago did they have to use a spinning lidar mechanism on top of the vehicle to get a 360 view
Old 08-09-14, 07:02 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

except using one of those will likely cripple the car entirely. it's only a matter of time before it's all integrated and simply won't be able to turn all this stuff off and for the most part, consumers won't want to. only control freaks.
Nothing that a simple software tune won't fix..
Old 08-09-14, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think the next S class 6-7 years from now may actually debut with self driving technology. Automakers have said that we should have them by 2020. We just need the law to catch up.

Catch up? It will probably be trial-lawyers, and the fear of mass litigation, that actually prevent self-driving cars from becoming widespread. I can't see Republicans in Congress, who have made tort-reform a high priority for years, allowing a system that is likely to become even more of a cash-cow for the ABA.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-14 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Good point, yowps3.....except that it might play into the hands of an overeager litigation system that I just described above.
Old 08-09-14, 08:57 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Catch up? It will probably be trail-lawyers, and the fear of mass litigation, that actually prevent self-driving cars from becoming widespread. I can't see Republicans in Congress, who have made tort-reform a high priority for years, allowing a system that is likely to become even more of a cash-cow for the ABA.
It will probably be decided per state. The law does not address this topic and in order for Google to test their self driving vehicles, Nevada had to set precedence and pass the law. California followed after.
Old 08-09-14, 09:47 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the dearlership today to see the autonomous Q50. It's a mid size car if even that: felt snugged, not much bigger than the 2IS in the driver's seat.

So guys what other cars got the lane keep or autonomous driving feature? Hyundai Genesis, Volvo V60, MB E, S class, what else? I can't wait to liberate my lead foot from the LA traffic.
Old 08-09-14, 10:59 PM
RXSF

Practically all mercedes cars can be optioned with the new Distronic plus with steering assist (not to be mistaken with the distronic plus which doesn't come with steering assist)

Currently available on the S, E and the new C class.
Old 08-10-14, 07:27 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what happens during a hairpin bend? does it slow down or does it drift?
Old 08-10-14, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It will probably be decided per state. The law does not address this topic and in order for Google to test their self driving vehicles, Nevada had to set precedence and pass the law. California followed after.
Federal law does determine much of what can and cannot be sold on new vehicles. States determine things of lesser importance, like percentage of window tint, how headlights are aligned during safety-inspections, etc....
Old 08-10-14, 09:50 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practically all mercedes cars can be optioned with the new Distronic plus with steering assist (not to be mistaken with the distronic plus which doesn't come with steering assist)

Currently available on the S, E and the new C class.
Thank you. I've found this following the pointers in your post.

Old 08-10-14, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Catch up? It will probably be trail-lawyers, and the fear of mass litigation, that actually prevent self-driving cars from becoming widespread. I can't see Republicans in Congress, who have made tort-reform a high priority for years, allowing a system that is likely to become even more of a cash-cow for the ABA.
yep... one accident and i see big lawsuit coming up.
Old 08-10-14, 05:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
yeah right, the old "just chip it"? uh, nothing that highly encrypted software and locked software won't stop. as far as i know, the toyota/lexus engine ecu software has never been 'cracked' by any third party.

Catch up? It will probably be trial-lawyers, and the fear of mass litigation, that actually prevent self-driving cars from becoming widespread. I can't see Republicans in Congress, who have made tort-reform a high priority for years, allowing a system that is likely to become even more of a cash-cow for the ABA.
there will no doubt be fits and starts as our luddite politicians and regulators fear progress. but it will happen. probably initially with public vehicles like school buses, delivery trucks and taxis before the unwashed masses.

Originally Posted by chikoo
what happens during a hairpin bend? does it slow down or does it drift?
good question! i'd guess it can see pretty far ahead and would beep/brake like crazy, possibly stop, and not take the turn if it couldn't negotiate it.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles