Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 07:29 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I was going to say the same thing, yowps3. This feature will give people more reasons to not pay attention behind the wheel: texting, surfing, playing video games, etc. When things go wrong, let's sue the car manufacture. Afterall, it's not our fault the system didn't work.
sho nuff.
Old 08-07-14, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdak25
Not sure how much I can ever really trust these "self-driving" autonomous cars. Sure in a perfect world they sound good, but with the types of drivers I have to put up with on a daily basis I like having control of my vehicle.
those 'types of drivers' will also be reigned in by tech in years to come. they can 'pretend' to drive, or the car will do it by itself.
Old 08-07-14, 08:06 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since this tech is already being built into the smaller less expensive vehicles as well, I'm guessing within 15 years my daughter may not have to worry about driving around, have a 32 point airbag system, I can keep track of the vehicles whereabouts, know who's in the car, and the destination. She may hate me but I think I like this direction
Old 08-07-14, 08:40 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Since this tech is already being built into the smaller less expensive vehicles as well, I'm guessing within 15 years my daughter may not have to worry about driving around, have a 32 point airbag system, I can keep track of the vehicles whereabouts, know who's in the car, and the destination. She may hate me but I think I like this direction
Might as well put all cars on rails or a conveyer belt.
Old 08-07-14, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. A car driving down an interstate highway by itself is one thing, but we're a long ways still from cars driving themselves on surface roads, knowing where a house is, or a driveway, or negotiating a parking lot. Not saying that won't happen, but we're a long way from that.

Another thing to remember is that for this to become truly mainstream, everybody has to adopt it. We're still going to have older cars on the road, used cars, cars without this technology.
Old 08-07-14, 11:48 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
This tech isn't new at all.

Japanese Domestic Market vehicles such as the Toyota Crown, Celsior & Lexus have had this feature for about a decade now
Right, but Toyota's ACC hadn't been able to slow down to a stop until very recently, so one couldn't really have trusted the system enough to pull off the same stunt.
Old 08-07-14, 01:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. A car driving down an interstate highway by itself is one thing, but we're a long ways still from cars driving themselves on surface roads, knowing where a house is, or a driveway, or negotiating a parking lot. Not saying that won't happen, but we're a long way from that.

Another thing to remember is that for this to become truly mainstream, everybody has to adopt it. We're still going to have older cars on the road, used cars, cars without this technology.
actually quite easy. just a lot of grunt work required.
Old 08-07-14, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
actually quite easy. just a lot of grunt work required.
I think you're underemphasizing the technology at work here. In order for a car to drive autonomously, around other cars not being driven autonomously on a surface or neighborhood road the car needs to have a level of intelligence and decision making skills...something that is beyong our technology now. A highway is different when everybody is just driving along at a set speed, it can read lines, check on the location of cars around you, and keep you moving on its own at a set speed.

But, when you get on a neighborhood surface street, or a more rural route, etc there are things it has to be able to deal with that require another level of intelligence. Animals and people in the road. Crosswalks, red lights, yellow lights, people running lights, driving around cars making left turns. Abrupt maneuvers from others without signaling. It goes on and on. Unltil you get to a point where everything on the road is controlled access and automated, we're still going to be driving cars ourselves on surface roads for several decades IMHO, even if we let the cars take over on the highway.
Old 08-07-14, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you're underemphasizing the technology at work here. In order for a car to drive autonomously, around other cars not being driven autonomously on a surface or neighborhood road the car needs to have a level of intelligence and decision making skills...something that is beyong our technology now. A highway is different when everybody is just driving along at a set speed, it can read lines, check on the location of cars around you, and keep you moving on its own at a set speed.

But, when you get on a neighborhood surface street, or a more rural route, etc there are things it has to be able to deal with that require another level of intelligence. Animals and people in the road. Crosswalks, red lights, yellow lights, people running lights, driving around cars making left turns. Abrupt maneuvers from others without signaling. It goes on and on. Unltil you get to a point where everything on the road is controlled access and automated, we're still going to be driving cars ourselves on surface roads for several decades IMHO, even if we let the cars take over on the highway.

Until recently, yes. But Google seemed to have figured it out. Recently (like two-three months ago), they moved their self driving car from the freeways to city driving and the car still worked flawlessly. In 5 years time, its entirely possible to have all scenarios programmed into the vehicle.

Old 08-07-14, 05:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Just like this:
except one is done in closed course / track
Old 08-08-14, 01:04 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as these videos popped up car makers are probably developing software that will disable the system if no one is in the drivers seat buckled in. At least if i were a car company thats what i would implement. I can see tons of lawsuits being made from the use of this tech in the first 10 years or so. It will eventually taper off soon after. Other than that, that was pretty awesome to watch.
Old 08-08-14, 01:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cops should issue huge tickets for these kind of stuff. If the system fails, or anything goes

wrong, the driver is not only putting his own life on the line, but people around him as well.

I don't think we are ready yet.
Old 08-08-14, 01:44 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy. On the other hand I can't wait to get one!
Old 08-09-14, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those 'types of drivers' will also be reigned in by tech in years to come. they can 'pretend' to drive, or the car will do it by itself.
One of these should quickly solve that problem

Old 08-09-14, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of these should quickly solve that problem

except using one of those will likely cripple the car entirely. it's only a matter of time before it's all integrated and simply won't be able to turn all this stuff off and for the most part, consumers won't want to. only control freaks.

I think you're underemphasizing the technology at work here. In order for a car to drive autonomously, around other cars not being driven autonomously on a surface or neighborhood road the car needs to have a level of intelligence and decision making skills...something that is beyong our technology now.
i think you need to watch this. we're close...

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles