Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Warren Buffett Shares The Inside Scoop: He Bought A Cadillac, Not A Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 09:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Warren Buffett Shares The Inside Scoop: He Bought A Cadillac, Not A Subaru

Pretty much anything that billionaire Warren Buffett says or does makes news, it seems. So last week, when the influential investor was photographed sitting alone in a new Subaru Outback, a hungry blogger at AutoEvolution turned it into a story, which then went viral, including this post explaining how the no-nonsense Subaru is a perfect fit for the Wizard of Omaha’s frugal investing style. CNBC tweeted the news to its 1.5 million followers and Subaru even jumped on board, posting the grainy photo and story on its Facebook page.

Buffett, whose modest tastes are well-known, was flabbergasted by the attention — especially because the story was wrong. “I’ve never driven a Subaru in my life,” he told me in an interview. On the day in question (July 8), he happened to be sitting in the passenger seat of the Outback — a courtesy car provided by organizers of last week’s Allen & Co. conference in Sun Valley, Idaho — while his daughter went inside to pick up their room keys and credentials. “I stayed in the car and somebody snapped that picture,” he said.

Everybody knows Buffett is partial to American nameplates anyway. “Once, in the 1960s, when the (Volkswagen) Beetle came out, I had one for a year or so,” he told me. And in high school, he was half-owner of a Rolls Royce. Mostly, though, he favors cars made by General Motors GM -0.74% or Ford Motor F -0.88%. “The truth is, I only drive about 3,500 miles a year so I will buy a new car very infrequently.”

In fact, his 2006 Cadillac DTS DTSI -0.96%, which had just 19,000 miles on it, was barely broken in when he became convinced recently it was time to replace it.

The sales pitch came from none other than GM Chief Executive Mary Barra, who had flown to Omaha in mid-May to meet one of GM’s largest shareholders amid a growing safety crisis that threatened to stall the automaker’s comeback. The meeting came around the same time Buffett’s holding company, Berkshire Hathaway, disclosed that it had cut its stake in GM by 25 percent, to 30 million shares, during the first quarter.

As they motored through Omaha in his eight-year-old DTS, Buffett asked what made the new generation of Cadillacs better. “She really let me have it,” Buffett said. “She told me about 50 things that were better” than his current set of wheels. “By the time we got to lunch — and it’s only 5 or 6 minutes — she sold me.”

Worried, however, that the world’s third-richest man, worth $65.8 billion, might not get a good price, the 83-year-old Buffett dispatched his daughter, Susie, down to Huber Cadillac in Omaha to make the purchase on his behalf. There she was met by a young saleswoman named Madison Willers, who Buffett said “couldn’t have been more helpful.”

Barra had suggested he buy the widely acclaimed Cadillac CTS sports sedan, but Willers convinced Susie that her anonymous dad might want to go a different way. In a letter to Barra later, Buffett wrote: “My daughter said that her dad’s ‘car-guy friend’ (that’s you) said he should buy a CTS, but Madison said the XTS would be more appropriate. I think this reflects an evaluation on her part that from Susie’s description I must be hopelessly over the hill (a unanimous view among my family).” He also praised the owner of the dealership, Brett Huber, describing him as “extremely accommodating.”

Barra penned a hand-written response: “Dear Warren, Thank you very much for buying a GM vehicle. The XTS is a great choice! If you ever have a question or concern, please let me know. It was great to hear that Madison and Brett demonstrated our company value — the customer is our compass. I will look forward to riding in your XTS the next time I visit. Thanks again, Mary Barra.”

Did he get a good trade-in price on the old DTS? Nope. He donated it to Girls Inc., a charitable organization for girls.

As for Barra and General Motors? Buffett thinks she’s “terrific” and said he offered her some advice, based on his own experience steering Salomon Brothers through a devastating bond-trading scandal in the early 1990s. “When you have a problem, get it right, get it fast, get it out and get it over. That’s what I told her.”

He says GM’s current crisis will pass. “In the end, it will be what they do over the next 10 years that counts. They’ve got to deal with the past. It’s not easy, but she’s the person to do it.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...-not-a-subaru/
Old 08-06-14, 06:21 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Our family are long time Berkshire Hathaway investors.

Kind of sad that the oracle does not shop for his own car and sadder that he rolls a crapilac.

I guess he tries to generate a proud American image.

As Berkshire Hathaway owns Stahl truck bodies, I would rather see him in an F150 with a custom Stahl set up.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 08-06-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

We'll see, of course, but I don't think he's going to be as satisfied with the XTS as he was with his earlier DTS. Ganted, the new XTS powertrain is more efficient, it has nice interior trim, and it has the AWD option for snow that the DTS never got, but the overall ride comfort and refinement just isn't the same.....which is important to many buyers like him. I know more than one DTS owner that won't touch an XTS.
Old 08-06-14, 07:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We'll see, of course, but I don't think he's going to be as satisfied with the XTS as he was with his earlier DTS. Ganted, the new XTS powertrain is more efficient, it has nice interior trim, and it has the AWD option for snow that the DTS never got, but the overall ride comfort and refinement just isn't the same.....which is important to many buyers like him. I know more than one DTS owner that won't touch an XTS.
At only 3,500 miles per year (<300/month) he obviously doesn't spend much time in his car so he just might be impressed with the changes over the model years.

I'm sure that Cadillac will enjoy any halo effect from his choice.
Old 08-06-14, 08:33 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I don't know any BH shareholders with a Caddy

A halo effect may be too optimistic
Old 08-06-14, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

doesn't have to affect shareholders, but just the fact that one of the richest guys on the planet bought a cadillac is a nice vote of confidence for everyone. but in the end it doesn't mean a whole lot either way.
Old 08-06-14, 09:48 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I love your cat Bit

If Buffet owning a Caddy mattered, how come the DTS he had was killed off?

The folks that care the most about what he says and does are us shareholders and we say phooey to Caddy

I do like to support the companies in his portfolio (though not a fan of Brooks running shoes) so it must be time to hit Dairy Queen
Old 08-06-14, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
doesn't have to affect shareholders, but just the fact that one of the richest guys on the planet bought a cadillac is a nice vote of confidence for everyone. but in the end it doesn't mean a whole lot either way.
I agree on both counts. Maybe a few old guys with some money will see this and think I'll get one too.
Old 08-06-14, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
At only 3,500 miles per year (<300/month) he obviously doesn't spend much time in his car so he just might be impressed with the changes over the model years.
With his income, too, he can easily afford a driver/chauffeur if he wants one. (maybe he already has one?)

I'm sure that Cadillac will enjoy any halo effect from his choice.
Yes, auto companies often trumpet the fact that famous people or celebrities drive them. Fiat, for instance, did TV and magazine ads, long go, stressing that Enzo Ferrari Himself, the Dean of Italian sports cars, drove a lowly Fiat 128 econobox as his personal car (without a chauffeur). Tom Cruise, I remember, bought the second Chevy SSR to come off the assembly line....the first went to the Chevy museum.
Old 08-06-14, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree on both counts. Maybe a few old guys with some money will see this and think I'll get one too.
A lot of old guys with money are already driving Caddys. They love their DTS's, though, and getting them into an XTS may not be a sure thing. Of course, their DTS's won't last forever, and sooner or later it will be time to trade.

Buick Verano sales, though (I drive one myself) seem to have been helped when Donald Trump did TV ads for it stressing how well it was done, considering its low price.
Old 08-06-14, 11:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

A lot of old guys with money are already driving Caddys. They love their DTS's, though, and getting them into an XTS may not be a sure thing. Of course, their DTS's won't last forever, and sooner or later it will be time to trade.

Buick Verano sales, though (I drive one myself) seem to have been helped when Donald Trump did TV ads for it stressing how well it was done, considering its low price.
I'm not sure how much DT touting the Verano effected sales. Same with Tiger Woods and Shaq advertising the Buick brand. Interesting but WAY off of the target market.
Old 08-06-14, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I'm sure that the oldsters among us will find suitable replacements for their DTS's.
Old 08-06-14, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure how much DT touting the Verano effected sales. Same with Tiger Woods and Shaq advertising the Buick brand. Interesting but WAY off of the target market.
The older Tiger Woods ads seemed at least halfway credible, but I agree that the Shaq ads were an insult to one's intelligence. He's over 7 feet tall, and built like a bear. I know the LaCrosse....there's no way he's going to have that kind of stretch-out room in it, even with the front seat all the way back. Those ads were probably doctored visually.
Old 08-06-14, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

When the RWD Flagship Cadillac and Elmiraj coupe come to fruition that may change
Old 08-06-14, 04:37 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Cadillac still make cushy cars?

Or are they too all "Sports" now lol?

Quick Reply: Warren Buffett Shares The Inside Scoop: He Bought A Cadillac, Not A Subaru