Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

People that go out of their way parking next to you...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 06:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To me, if I see a car parked in the boonies, I read it as "leave me alone". And because I apply the same parking practices, I respectfully do not park next to that car.
Old 08-01-14, 07:10 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you DO get minor paint discloration/scuffing, light thin scratches, or other marks that are not deep into the clearcoat paint layer, SCRATCH-OUT can sometimes remove them, though, of course, it won't undo an actual ding or dent. I highly recommend this product....and it is very inexpensive.

Thank you
Old 08-01-14, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
If not, then I've no idea why he did it :I.
Agreed. He could have gotten his a** kicked. Some people don't take kindly to pranks.
Old 08-02-14, 03:38 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To me, if I see a car parked in the boonies, I read it as "leave me alone". And because I apply the same parking practices, I respectfully do not park next to that car.
Agreed
Old 08-02-14, 11:32 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
the funny thing is he didn't even but anything.
a-holes usually don't buy anything he just there for the free ac.
Old 08-03-14, 12:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
This . . . .

If a parking lot has islands, I usually park HARD up against the curb on one side hugging the island, so that only one side is exposed to potential idiots who would hit my car entering/leaving a space or give me a nice door ding.

Also I will huff it a few blocks if I can find "secure" parking, where I feel confident my car will not be door dinged or ran into by a moron who cannot park.
Old 08-03-14, 01:52 AM
PinkBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats so funny ahaha
Old 08-03-14, 02:19 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In your picture here, you see how the doors line up....... You'd still get a bigass dent here.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Friends, there are reasons why I complain about new cars that cheap out and don't provide either standard or optional body-side moldings. (a subject I am sometimes criticized for). I don't spend my time doing that to just hear myself talk.

Old 08-03-14, 04:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Time to resurrect this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post8565772
Old 08-03-14, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
In your picture here, you see how the doors line up....... You'd still get a bigass dent here.
You're correct in some cases...that's why the location and thickness of of the moulding is also important. But in general, even a lousy mouding is usually better than none.

On my present car, I put an aftermarket stick-on moulding myself. They are relatively inexpensive, and take some fairly careful work but not a huge amount of skill to apply. The main issues are keeping the molding aligned/located straight and allowing room at the ends for the doors to open/close without binding. It can usually be done in an hour or so.....depending on the number of pieces needed. I've done it for both myself and other car owners.
Old 08-03-14, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
marshall, I don't have a single ding and I will say at the onset that my overall point here is you can't rely on side moldings to avoid damage of door dings and it is a flawed approach and corrective behavior and action is really the only if you really want to stay beyond reproach and give no probability to it happening to begin with. There are zero dings on my doors and that can be directly attested to previous owner. it is because the previous owner was extreme vigilant and now I have continued his tradition and avoided parking next to anyone without an extreme amount of space between or avoid it altogether by parking an extreme distance. I would agree with the OP and say those who go out of their way to park next to you are Extreme in their behaviors but that is as far as I am willing to take it. Now damage to the door and it would be my fault not to re-park my car as soon as I see it. This is why I think a dash and side cameras should start to be optional in these higher end luxo-sports cars and not just rear cameras to monitor someone flying by behind you although rear cameras are an excuse for not turning your neck 180 degrees just like blind spot monitoring is an excuse to not turn your darn neck 90 degrees and doing a peripheral ogle.
You are correct........mouldings won't prevent everything. But as for side-cameras, I don't think they would make much of a difference with some people, since they are already careless.....and they would just make new cars that much more expensive (even compared to the cost of a molding)
Old 08-04-14, 12:46 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

in 25 years, everything will be made of carbon fiber, and we won't have to worry about this stuff.
Old 08-04-14, 06:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pman6
in 25 years, everything will be made of carbon fiber, and we won't have to worry about this stuff.
Have you had carbon fiber on your car? It cracks, it doesn't bend. So some idiot that slams his door into a carbon fiber door can damage the car still and instead of having to pull a dent, you have to replace the entire door. Carbon Fiber is not fun to deal with.

Door moldings are ugly and their place on cars is long gone.

Classic SC3, I'm surprised you haven't touched on the way the SC door was designed. (unless I missed it) Since the SC had such a long door, Lexus designed it with double hinges so the door opened out and away instead of just away. I wish more doors had that design.

Old 08-04-14, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Have you had carbon fiber on your car? It cracks, it doesn't bend. So some idiot that slams his door into a carbon fiber door can damage the car still and instead of having to pull a dent, you have to replace the entire door. Carbon Fiber is not fun to deal with.
That was a problem, to some extent, with the old Saturn S-series thermoplastic body side panels, which could crackt after a number of years. Until then, though, the plastic side panels usually did a good job of resisting dents/dings, though, of course, the rather soft waterborne paint job (the paint had to dry soft enough to flew wit the panels) could sill be scratched or chipped from careless people.

Door moldings are ugly and their place on cars is long gone.
I know some people feel that way, but I disagree. IMO, dings/dents and paint damage are a lot uglier than the moldings themselves. My own car has a chrome moulding down each side (aftermarket) that I put on myself...and I get many compliments on how it looks.

Subaru, BTW, is now bringing factory moldings back as an option.....mainly because of customer demand. So is GM, on some of their products.

Of course, I'm sure that you and I both agree that mislocated or poorly-designed moldings that are relatively ineffective don't do much good either. A number of them, for example, are mounted too low for optimum protection.

Classic SC3, I'm surprised you haven't touched on the way the SC door was designed. (unless I missed it) Since the SC had such a long door, Lexus designed it with double hinges so the door opened out and away instead of just away. I wish more doors had that design.
Yes, it's a good idea initially, but can also increase the chances for the doors sagging or becoming slightly misaligned over time due to hinge wear.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-14 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 07:45 AM
LexFather

Our SC had nearly 240k miles before it was sold and the doors did not sag lol. They were overbuilt and opened like new. So its not just initially, it is a fantastic proven design.

Quick Reply: People that go out of their way parking next to you...