Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wireless charging of electric vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 07:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wireless charging of electric vehicles?

Wouldn't that be just great?!?

RideApart News Link

Frankly it's a pain to find the right battery tender or charger, and it's cumbersome to drag out the cables, extension cord and charge the bike (or car). Then, if you're like some of us, you may also forget to charge it and end up with a bad battery. Well, all that may be a thing of the past in a few months as CTEK, a company known for making high end chargers, is working on new tech that'll charge batteries wirelessly.

CTEK Corporation, one of the leading manufacturers of battery chargers has joined forces with WiTricity, the industry leader in wireless power transfer over distance. The two together are working to commercialize this tech, the wizardry of which involves wireless power transfer using magnetic resonance. The technology and patent license agreement will let CTEK mass produce charging units based on WiTricity’s patented technology.

Future plans include development of charging systems which will allow drivers to simply park the vehicle over a contact patch and charge the batteries from there. This will of course simplify the whole process for the drivers.

Sounds more feasible than an electrified road...
Old 02-17-15, 07:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I have been clamoring for such ever since I was a child. No wires. Charge using radio waves.
Old 02-17-15, 08:22 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good until you wallk into the path of that microwave beam and your phone will burn a huge hole in your pants.
Old 02-17-15, 10:06 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wireless charging (inductive charging) does not use microwaves, it uses magnetic fields, the same principle behind the Qi wireless charger for smartphones now being offered in the Camry, Avalon and Lexus NX (except on a larger scale, of course).

In fact, it is safe enough to be used to charge embedded (in the body) medical devices: the charger sits outside the body and the in-body device has a receiver. The skin is not burned (or cooked) by microwaves.
There is no radiation from radio waves (e.g. microwaves) in inductive charging.

It would be great for EV owners: place a charging pad on the floor of the garage and then drive your EV (with the receiver on the underside) over it and charging starts automatically. There is no need to plug it in or turn it on; just drive in over the charging pad and charging is automatic.
Old 02-17-15, 10:18 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was where GM wanted to go when they invested in PowerMat a few years ago.
Old 02-17-15, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Wireless charging (inductive charging) does not use microwaves, it uses magnetic fields, the same principle behind the Qi wireless charger for smartphones now being offered in the Camry, Avalon and Lexus NX (except on a larger scale, of course).

In fact, it is safe enough to be used to charge embedded (in the body) medical devices: the charger sits outside the body and the in-body device has a receiver. The skin is not burned (or cooked) by microwaves.
There is no radiation from radio waves (e.g. microwaves) in inductive charging.

It would be great for EV owners: place a charging pad on the floor of the garage and then drive your EV (with the receiver on the underside) over it and charging starts automatically. There is no need to plug it in or turn it on; just drive in over the charging pad and charging is automatic.
there is no need for this in garage... it is expensive and you will lose 10-15% of energy... but for public parking places, this would be great and everyone would automatically always use charging.
Old 02-17-15, 10:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no need for this in garage... it is expensive and you will lose 10-15% of energy... but for public parking places, this would be great and everyone would automatically always use charging.
I don't think it's about "need" or "efficiency" it's about convenience. If I had an electric or plug in hybrid I'd definitely look into this rather than having to plug in each and every time I came home.
Old 02-18-15, 07:08 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it's a cool idea.

I use Qi wireless charging for my Galaxy Note 4, and it's really handy.

But, the OPs argument is clearly being made by someone who does not, and has never, owned an electric vehicle.

You don't use extension cords. You don't spend 5 minutes rolling up the cable and putting it away when you leave for work in the morning, only to have to "remember" to take the cables out, unroll them, and laboriously hook them up once you're home.

I have a power outlet installed conveniently close to where I park my car at home (and anyone who owns an electric vehicle does the same thing - it's called "Common Sense").

It takes me ALMOST 5 seconds, after I'm out of the car, to flip the cover open, grab the connector, and plug it in. 5 seconds each morning, 5 seconds each night. That's 50 seconds a week.

Is there anyone that can fill their gas tank with gas in under a minute? Oh, and I don't ever have to go to the gas/charging station to do it.

This is a solution in search of a problem.
Old 02-18-15, 07:12 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I look forward to the days when the black asphalt on the road IS the powermat and the cars charge as they drive along.
Old 02-18-15, 10:06 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have concern about the effect such large, powerful magnetic fields would have on their surroundings. For example - safe to be around if you have a pacemaker? Will it erase a hard drive? etc. etc.

The fields used to charge phones are very weak relative to what would be needed to charge a car.
Old 02-18-15, 11:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Some Qi users report up to 25% loss in available charging efficiency, although I suppose that's largely dependent on the charger. With a 25% loss, that four or five hour charge would take an extra hour - since battery charging is non-linear, tending to taper off toward the end of the cycle. That wouldn't be significant if your car were in your garage and you were in bed, asleep, but used in a car park, it could mean you'd have to wait and have a couple extra cups of coffee before proceeding.