Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoNews:Lexus lineup aims for younger buyers

Old 07-28-14, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb AutoNews:Lexus lineup aims for younger buyers

We have discussed a lot of this. They acknowledge the GS F showing this winter and to be sold the latter half of 2015.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...801D1376578E3O

Also note the GX/LX seem to be huge profit makers for the brand so anyone talking about sales figures in the USA doesn't see the entire picture.

Lexus has taken an adventurous product direction, splitting its offerings into a traditional luxury channel for its older buyers and a new-product silo of performance-based vehicles to attract Gen X and Gen Y consumers. The next several years largely will involve the latter category, including several high-performance vehicles.

Lexus also will jazz up its engine offerings by following Audi and BMW in having a 2.0-liter turbo engine in several of its entry-luxury vehicles, and as a base engine for mid-sized vehicles with powertrain options. The Lexus turbo is expected to be in the 235 hp to 260 hp range, depending on the application.

Parent Toyota Motor Corp. is hinging much of its future platforms on the Toyota New Global Architecture, which will debut in the next-generation Prius. But the Prius' delay to December 2015 could push back the launches of Lexus vehicles that will share the platform, such as the ES sedan and CT hatchback.

Here is a look at Lexus' future product plans.

CT: A freshening came for the 2014 model year with more telematics features. Because the CT uses many components from the Prius platform, it will follow the Prius' delay by at least six months. That means a spring 2017 arrival as a 2018 model.

IS: The sedan was re-engineered in summer 2013. One possible midcycle change in mid-2016 would be the installation of a 2.0-liter turbo with an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission to replace the aging 2.5-liter V-6 as the base engine. The IS-C coupe goes away with the introduction of the RC nameplate.

ES: Re-engineered in summer 2012. Should follow a five-year cadence, meaning the redesign arrives in summer 2017. It could have a base 2.0-liter 240-hp turbo engine and an optional V-6.

GS: Re-engineered in spring 2012. A concept GS-F high-performance sedan will make an auto show appearance in 2015 -- with the production version to have the same 460-hp V-8 as in the RC-F -- and arrive in late 2015. Lexus has filed a trademark application for GS 200T, meaning a 2.0-liter turbo could join the lineup.

LS: Re-engineered in summer 2012. How will Lexus up the ante when a true redesign occurs in summer 2017? Sources say the V-8 engine will make incredible performance strides to try to pull the flagship out of the "appliance" category and into the "enthusiast" one. But the hybrid version may go away with the redesign.

The RC-F is positioned as a BMW M4 killer.

RC: The coupe will go on sale in late 2014, using the IS/GS platform as its underpinnings and powered by a 3.5-liter, 306-hp V-6 engine. Lexus also has filed a trademark application for RC 200T, meaning a 2.0-liter turbo could join the lineup. The RC uses a double-wishbone front suspension and a multilink suspension at the rear. Perhaps more thrilling is the RC-F -- positioned as a BMW M4 killer -- that will arrive at the same time, powered by a 460-hp V-8. The RC-F was styled not by Lexus' studio, but by Tecno Art Research, an outsourced Toyota design hub. Also, a concept RC convertible, which would bring open-top driving back to Lexus, will appear on the auto show circuit. Expect the convertible to come in spring 2016.

LF-LC: Lexus' flagship coupe concept has gotten the green light from Toyota President Akio Toyoda. Likely to cost about $120,000, this 2+2 hybrid-powered coupe will be more akin to a high-performance LFA "lite," competing against the Mercedes-Benz SL, than a true supercar such as the LFA. Toyoda has fast-tracked it to arrive in early 2017 as a 2018 model. It will share considerable underpinnings with the upcoming Toyota vehicle based on the FT-1 concept and is being co-developed with BMW. Who will provide the engine is unknown, but both automakers are experimenting with turbocharging in a big way.

NX: The NX compact crossover is derived from the Toyota RAV4 platform, but 90 percent of the parts are different, including the 2.0-liter, 235-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The turbo engine is mated to a six-speed automatic. A 194-hp, four-cylinder hybrid also will be offered. With a 104.7-inch wheelbase and a 182.3-inch overall length, the NX is slightly smaller than the Acura RDX and slides between the BMW X1 and X3. It goes on sale in November.

RX: The 2012 midcycle sheet metal freshening was so extensive that Lexus pushed the RX redesign to fall 2015. The RX's five-seat Toyota Camry/Highlander-based footprint will stay the same because it will be a global model. To pacify European and Japanese clients, a turbo-four engine will be offered, although maybe not in the United States. It likely will be unveiled at the 2015 New York auto show.

TX: Toyota has applied for a trademark for the TX nameplate. Lexus division General Manager Jeff Bracken has said a seven-seat car-based crossover is being thoroughly studied, although whether it will be an extended-wheelbase RX from the Highlander platform, or a separate, larger platform has yet to be announced. It's likely to go on sale a year after the RX redesign, meaning a late 2016 arrival.

GX: Midcycle change happened in early 2014. Although its low volumes would seem to make it a candidate to get cut from the lineup, its gross profit margins are huge. And since it comes from the global Toyota Land Cruiser Prado platform, it's not that hard to rebadge the GX for this market. Expect a spring 2017 introduction for the redesign.

LX: Because the incremental volume and huge profits of the top-line SUV help justify Toyota's investment in the Land Cruiser, the LX is a keeper. Expect a stretched cycle, well beyond the normal seven years, to at least calendar 2016.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-28-14 at 10:16 AM.

Old 07-28-14, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

IS: The sedan was re-engineered in summer 2013. One possible midcycle change in mid-2016 would be the installation of a 2.0-liter turbo with an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission to replace the aging 2.5-liter V-6 as the base engine. The IS-C coupe goes away with the introduction of the RC nameplate.
I'm not buying this one yet.

ES: Re-engineered in summer 2012. Should follow a five-year cadence, meaning the redesign arrives in summer 2017. It could have a base 2.0-liter 240-hp turbo engine and an optional V-6.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Good and bad to this one

GS: Re-engineered in spring 2012. A concept GS-F high-performance sedan will make an auto show appearance in 2015 -- with the production version to have the same 460-hp V-8 as in the RC-F -- and arrive in late 2015. Lexus has filed a trademark application for GS 200T, meaning a 2.0-liter turbo could join the lineup.
Septemeber 2015.

RC: The coupe will go on sale in late 2014, using the IS/GS platform as its underpinnings and powered by a 3.5-liter, 306-hp V-6 engine. Lexus also has filed a trademark application for RC 200T, meaning a 2.0-liter turbo could join the lineup. The RC uses a double-wishbone front suspension and a multilink suspension at the rear. Perhaps more thrilling is the RC-F -- positioned as a BMW M4 killer -- that will arrive at the same time, powered by a 460-hp V-8. The RC-F was styled not by Lexus' studio, but by Tecno Art Research, an outsourced Toyota design hub. Also, a concept RC convertible, which would bring open-top driving back to Lexus, will appear on the auto show circuit. Expect the convertible to come in spring 2016.
September 2015.

IS C dropped. RC convertible possible soooo... RC C ? lol

RX: The 2012 midcycle sheet metal freshening was so extensive that Lexus pushed the RX redesign to fall 2015. The RX's five-seat Toyota Camry/Highlander-based footprint will stay the same because it will be a global model. To pacify European and Japanese clients, a turbo-four engine will be offered, although maybe not in the United States. It likely will be unveiled at the 2015 New York auto show.
So April. Very likely. Hope they up the luxury quotient
Old 07-28-14, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Lexus has filed a trademark application for GS 200T, meaning a 2.0-liter turbo could join the lineup.
sad but inevitable. has nothing to do with younger buyers except that's what they'll be used to because it will be the norm due to regulations. not blaming lexus, but it's something not very wicked.

obviously to survive you must adapt.
Old 07-28-14, 11:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

CT: A freshening came for the 2014 model year with more telematics features. Because the CT uses many components from the Prius platform, it will follow the Prius' delay by at least six months. That means a spring 2017 arrival as a 2018 model.
Ouch, that's an 8-year model run. I owned the CT and although I enjoyed it and power was adequate for me, it will desperately need a powertrain bump to maintain 15-18K in sales yearly against stiff, higher performing competition. The optional 2.5 Hybrid powertrain in a CT300h would be nice...

ES: Re-engineered in summer 2012. Should follow a five-year cadence, meaning the redesign
arrives in summer 2017. It could have a base 2.0-liter 240-hp turbo engine and an optional V-6.
Whereas the CT is on the long-end of the model run at 8 years and the last gen ES ran for 6 years, this is on the short end (for Lexus) at 5 years and I question the accuracy of this statement.
Old 07-28-14, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sad but inevitable. has nothing to do with younger buyers except that's what they'll be used to because it will be the norm due to regulations. not blaming lexus, but it's something not very wicked.

i have no problem with having that setup actually, more market is better (which i consider more important).
Old 07-28-14, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have no problem with having that setup actually, more market is better (which i consider more important).
agreed, i don't have a 'problem' with lexus doing it - as i said, lexus like all brands must adapt, and if it helps lexus, great. i just don't find the idea of a 4cyl turbo GS very appealing, but that's just me. it actually aligns well with competitors, particularly outside of the u.s. though.
Old 07-28-14, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Audi sells FWD I-4 210hp CVT A4s and A6s in droves, I don't see anyone on the internet *****ing about that.

The GS sorely needs an entry level engine, the 3.5 V-6 cannot be the only engine choice as the hybrid is a very very small seller. The GS than should have

GS 200t- 240hp
GS 350-306hp
GS 450h-340hp
GS F - 475hp

Old 07-28-14, 12:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Audi sells FWD I-4 210hp CVT A4s and A6s in droves, I don't see anyone on the internet *****ing about that.

The GS sorely needs an entry level engine, the 3.5 V-6 cannot be the only engine choice as the hybrid is a very very small seller. The GS than should have

GS 200t- 240hp
GS 350-306hp
GS 450h-340hp
GS F - 475hp
The 3.5 v6 is over 10 yrs old.
When will Lexus upgrade this thing?????
Old 07-28-14, 12:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

What appealed to me with Lexus in the 90s and 00s was the meticulous craftsmanship which is why I bought my first Lexus (RX) 10 years ago second-hand, in my late twenties. (Definitely not the demographic/age for buying a Bamboo Pearl RX330).

However, much like a swiss-watch, yes boring, but wreaks quality, and quality can be exciting even to the younger crowd. Today, I also enjoy the sporty side of Lexus from a design and performance standpoint, which is why it's F-Sport for me all the way. So I'm all for the new direction Lexus is going towards as I get to enjoy the best of both worlds which is definitely attracting the buyer in their 20s, 30s and 40s more than ever.

My only "concern" I have with Lexus moving forward on this focus is how much fewer R&D dollars will be allocated to the quality/materials area and placed into the "sport" area. Case in point, the 3IS. Class-leading sports sedan performance, but compared to my previous 2IS, some interior material richness (lower door panels and lower dash) has gone down a notch. Thankfully though, my 3IS's build quality/robustness is superior to my past 2IS which had a squeaky/creaky HVAC center stack and trim.
Old 07-28-14, 01:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I'm hearing the year 2038....give or take a couple years....

Old 07-28-14, 01:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I think it's a good move to line up with the competition but I do believe it dilutes the line somewhat - though adding the F (which is the wicked coming ) seems to balance out. Should drive volume, having a more attainable GS with decent mileage and 250*hp.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I personally believe this is a wild card, and is likely a TTV6 unit with 350hp as the replacement for the decade old 2GS-FSE. That said the 200t and F come first, 350 replacement is likely around the time the 5LS and SC arrive in '16/MY17. And that unit should spread to IS, GS, RC and possibly LS if they want to line up against 740i
Old 07-28-14, 01:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see them revamp the GR V6 like they just did the UR V8 from ISF to RCF, and keep it N/A. I guess we'll see if that happens.
Old 07-28-14, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I would like to see them revamp the GR V6 like they just did the UR V8 from ISF to RCF, and keep it N/A. I guess we'll see if that happens.
I do love the linear NA, but enjoy now because 2-3 years from now a new generation of Lexus mills will snuggle in Lexus engine bays
Old 07-28-14, 01:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I am hoping for: An update with some of the Otto/Atkinson cycle fanciness that will last us 2-4 more years, until a lineup of FI V6s arrive.

I'd like to buy another GS down the line, and would prefer something N/A if I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Old 07-28-14, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
That's what I am hoping for: An update with some of the Otto/Atkinson cycle fanciness that will last us 2-4 more years, until a lineup of FI V6s arrive.

I'd like to buy another GS down the line, and would prefer something N/A if I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off.
That's a great point, less to possibly go wrong (though a car is a car and not immortal regardless of badge). For what it's worth these new FI mills have been in the making for some time now you can bet every 'i' is dotted and 't' crossed before release. We're also hearing that that these FI mills are supposed to best the competition in power and efficiency. A blanket statement but enticing nonetheless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoNews:Lexus lineup aims for younger buyers