Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fit and Finish Issues... Really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 06:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Agreed...BUT I think the quality of the interior had actually degraded from the LS430 to the 07-12 LS460. The 13 refresh brought back that lost quality...

The shimamoku wood is nice...but its simply another option of wood color. They're just exchanging features and colors and materials for other features, colors, and materials that are the same. Where is the improvement, where is the next level of quality?

The only color that has not always been available on the LS is Flaxen. Other than that we have black, grey and cream. We need different leather options, more color options, bold colors like cabernet and dark browns that are popular. Look at the color palette for the S Class or 7 Series.

Not a leather dash...its an imitation leather dash

But thats just not correct... Shimamoku wood is not same wood... it is completely new process that takes very long time to do - something they never did before. It looks very different from their previous wood.

Leather dash is fake leather sure, and several times better than plastic that competition has. We are talking about $40k cars and not $100k here.

As to the colors - again not the same, as the pics from before have shown, interior looks completely different due to combination of materials being different.

I really forgot what you were complaining about originally because you are moving your complaints left and right. So, it does not matter if NX has double amount of leather than competition, but it matters that LS does not have cabarnet interior (which all other Lexii have, and is new) and at the same time, interior wood does not matter it is all the same (even if it isnt).

I think you need to move to Japan and get L-select, thats your only option now :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It is always an option to import, just way too expensive.

http://lexus.jp/models/ls/l-select/c...rit/index.html

They even offer 5 different stitchings for "Passionate Spirit" interior.
Old 07-30-14, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

L-Select for all !

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-30-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 06:16 PM
LexFather

The LS 430 was superbly crafted but there is no way taking it over a new 460. It has it's place in history and the automotive world. The LS 430 was a one way car, the LS 460 has swb, LWB, awd, hybrid, f-sport etc etc

At this rate some of you want Lexus to stay as they did in 1989 then find a way to ***** about that. The vicious ***** cycle needs to stop. Lexus is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

When the LS 500 comes I have no Intention of expectation to say the LS 460 is better. Reminds me of the GS 400 guys that won't move on.

Old 07-30-14, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Agreed...BUT I think the quality of the interior had actually degraded from the LS430 to the 07-12 LS460. The 13 refresh brought back that lost quality...
i agree with that. the '07-12 ls460 had the silver plastic surround in the center stack for example which looked like it belonged on an ES not an LS. the '13 refresh does 2 things - 1) much better materials, and 2) aligns with other newer model interiors.

besides the weak infotainment and remote controller i've mentioned, the only other change i'd make to the '13- interior is use the ls600hl shifter without the leather boot. looks so much classier. other than that, the current ls interior is one sweet office.
Old 07-30-14, 06:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by spwolf
Plenty of people did see NX in person, it has been touring Lexus dealer showrooms for last 2 months I think.

And of course - what does FWD vs RWD have to do with interior? X1 is RWD vehicle and its interior quality is not even "premium", let alone "quality". At least Euro models I have sit in compare poorly with Rav4 when it comes to fit and finish, with quality of materials going either way depending on what package you got.
The NX interior is definitely very nice, but I don't think it's so good that it's blowing the competition completely out of the water. I say this even though the Q5, GLK, and X3 are old- they came out in 2009, 2010, and 2011 respectively. The upcoming GLK has been spotted wearing an interior that is very similar to the new C-class that will surely be the NX's match. I highly doubt BMW and Audi are sleeping behind the wheel either.
Old 07-30-14, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
*Reminds me of the GS 400 guys that won't move on.
And that is just it, some just can't move on. The 13-14 is leaps and bounds a better car than the 430.
Old 07-30-14, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And that is just it, some just can't move on. The 13-14 is leaps and bounds a better car than the 430.
Of course it is. Nobody is disputing that. I'm just saying that Lexus needs to set the bar even higher when they come out with the all new LS. They're working from the bar they set in 2001 here...and the competition has also reached that bar at this point...and exceeded it in some areas.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Leather dash is fake leather sure, and several times better than plastic that competition has. We are talking about $40k cars and not $100k here.
The GS doesn't cost $40k. Anyways, a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland has a REAL leather dash at $42k. I just don't like fake stuff on luxury cars, no matter how nice it may look or feel to me luxury=real materials.

Look, a lot of this is me playing devil's advocate. Obviously I love these cars, I bought not only one...but 5! I'm just saying that the competition has gotten MUCH better, and Lexus needs to get MUCH better also and not rest on their laurels.

We need more wood options, different exotic type trims like the Shimamoku wood, open pore woods (the open pore matte wood Audi has is incredible looking with visible grain, so much texture and dimension). We need semi-aniline leather as base on the LS with options for even better leathers with different upholstery schemes, etc (a'la S Class), we need the LS to have options for multi-contour seating, panoramic roof, we need real metal trims and really high end plastics to compliment real leather on the dash and doors in the LS.

The ES needs better materials in the dash and door panels. The IS' interior is pretty good for its price point and with the understanding that its a sport focused car now. Still...luxury options should be available on the F Sport. The GX needs better materials inside, as does the RX. The GS has a great interior, but I'd like to see it be made even greater with the refresh. We know the new E will be excellent judging from the C.

As a Lexus fan I just want to see Lexus build better and better products. Nothing wrong with putting a little pressure when one can.
Old 07-30-14, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Trying to find pictures of the sorts of trims I'm talking about. Its hard to capture in a picture, but this matte, exposed grain wood is so sharp, has so much dimension and texture, and looks so high end and expensive.

In a Maserati:

4 Series coupe concept (the stitching is hideous, I mean the wood):

A7:

This is an A4:

Old 07-30-14, 08:18 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ love that trim. Friend of mine has a Benz E550 with that trim inside (they call in satin ash). I want that in my next luxury car.
Old 07-30-14, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There ya go Lexus, get on it!

MB Satin ash AND real leather dash:

Old 07-30-14, 11:30 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhmmmm the answer is obvious!

The LS400, LS430, SC400, ES300, ES330, RX330 and even 90s Gen Camry etc were all built and based on older Toyota materials that just aren't available today.

I remember Toyota claiming that they used Asphalt between the Chassis and carpet lining to enhance NVH in the 3rd Gen Camry!

Obviously things like that aren't done anymore. Cost cutting is deep and obvious in today's vehicles.

Yea the LS460 is fantastic. But the LS430 and even the LS400 just feel much more substantial..

And the surface is nothing. What really matters is skin deep and those cars were made of quality ingredients to say the least.

Last edited by yowps3; 07-30-14 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-31-14, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I remember Toyota claiming that they used Asphalt between the Chassis and carpet lining to enhance NVH in the 3rd Gen Camry!
And there was a reason for that. It worked. In many ways, the 3Gen Camry was the best one ever produced. I haven't been as impressed with any of them ever since.

Obviously things like that aren't done anymore. Cost cutting is deep and obvious in today's vehicles.
Not totally. Don't forget, auto companies are forced to add a lot of features today they didn't back in the 3Gen Camry days, simply because of government regulations and consumer pressure.
Old 07-31-14, 07:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Uhmmmm the answer is obvious!

The LS400, LS430, SC400, ES300, ES330, RX330 and even 90s Gen Camry etc were all built and based on older Toyota materials that just aren't available today.

Yea the LS460 is fantastic. But the LS430 and even the LS400 just feel much more substantial..

And the surface is nothing. What really matters is skin deep and those cars were made of quality ingredients to say the least.
Nah, you just can't move on from the past.
Old 07-31-14, 11:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Perhaps having owned 6 Lexus vehicles has "ruined" me in terms of elevating my standards on what's expected in a luxury car regarding fit and finish.

I went to check out the competition today, took this pic and video, because I couldn't believe it. Is this acceptable to you???

2014 MB GLK: (not shown, 2014 Audi Q5 had a very similar cheap rubber trim finish and poor cut/fit)

2015 Volvo XC60 T6:
http://youtu.be/3fZ0uLTPLCw

2015 Lincoln MKC: See posts:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8635088-post74.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8635095-post75.html
when you point one finger at the competition, remember your other 3 are pointing at yourself.

The IS250 has had
- interior leather peeling of the door panel.
- windshield weatherstrip cracking and falling apart
- rubber dash showing 2mm gap above central display
Old 07-31-14, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nah, you just can't move on from the past.
Lest you forget...he owns a 2011 IS and I own a 2013 GS. How can we be "unwilling to move on from the past"?

Quick Reply: Fit and Finish Issues... Really?