Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fit and Finish Issues... Really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 03:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Have you ever driven either car? Be honest. My guess is no because two of us have asked you that and you've ignored it both times.The LS460 is absolutely not built better than an LS430. I don't think it's built worse, but it's not better and like I said there's something about the 400 and 430 that's just not there in the 460. I wouldn't buy a 430 now over a 460, it's too old but the difference is there.

As for the LS430, anything can be improved upon. There are better trims, more unique wood options with exposed pores and such, better leathers out there, thicker better carpeting, trim and detailing that can be improved. Lots of ways to improve even an incredible car.

That level of quality isn't unusual anymore.

I'm not saying the BMW and Audi are treat. I'm saying this generation ES has a lower quality interior than the previous ES. That ES had an interior lower quality than the one before it. I owned both of those generations, and when the 2013 came out it wasn't a car I had interest in anymore because of interior quality issues. That's not how it should be, and not how it is with other makes. I want to see each new generation improve upon the previous one in this area.
Yes I have driven both, and the LS460 for 13-14 is a superior design in every way. Not so for 07-12 version.
Old 07-30-14, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Superior design yes...built better no. I'm not talking about design, I'm talking about the quality of the materials and the manner in which they are assembled.

In what ways is the 13-14 LS built better than the LS430? What materials specifically are better?
Old 07-30-14, 04:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is simply not true IMHO... BMW and MB interiors need high end options that are not available in every market. Regular 3 series has worse interior than IS, by far. Regular 3 series that has mid-spec interior has quality that is more comparable to midsize non luxury vehicles from Europe. C class has a nice interior and exterior, but to get there you do have to spend a lot more money. If you spend same amount of money, you get much worse vehicle with halogen front lights.

That goes for 5 series too as well as A6 (E class is far behind), you need to spend a lot more money to get great similar but still worse interior than GS.

Is leather dash even available on 535i in USA? I checked website and couldnt spec it, yet similar vehicle to GS350 with Luxury costs almost $15k more.

As to Genesis being better interior than ES, then it is also surely a lot better than 3 series and A4? Similar pricing to all of them. So hows that "bad" for Lexus, but then BMW and Audi and MB are great?

To go into most recent models, NX blows X1, X3, Q3, Q5 out of the water interior wise. RC fixes few faults of IS and has great interior.

So contrary to you, I felt like there was a never better time for Lexus... lots of new models, great cars that are best handling in the class, new engines coming as well.

This to me is very different than 2009 for instance when brand was pretty booring.

This is just my opinion of course :-). I usually complain a lot about poor interiors in mid-spec European vehicles, as in Europe, most of them are mid-spec and very few are loaded through the roof. So my buddy got 5 series with half-fake-leather and half textile seats that would not look premium in Yaris, let alone in BMW. And they were an upgrade too, base seats are worse... so when you enter an Lexus, it is like different world.
Seems like it might be premature to say the NX blows the competition out of the water. So far haven't we only seen pictures and pre-productions models?

In any case, it seems like other than the really obvious stuff, most of the fit & finish discussion is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder kind of thing.
Old 07-30-14, 04:07 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Superior design yes...built better no. I'm not talking about design, I'm talking about the quality of the materials and the manner in which they are assembled.

In what ways is the 13-14 LS built better than the LS430? What materials specifically are better?

I would say though that the optional Bamboo wood is a treat in the new LS. Other than that, everything else i say is about the same level of craftsmanship imo. The interior design is a killer in the new LS also.
Old 07-30-14, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For me, the way everything comes together and works. Materials, design and operation.

I understand that you might think the 430 is better, and that is fine. Where do you think it is better?
Old 07-30-14, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Seems like it might be premature to say the NX blows the competition out of the water. So far haven't we only seen pictures and pre-productions models?
Exactly lol. I personally have a hard time seeing how a FWD based architecture vehicle based on the Rav 4 can blow away something like an X3...the interior looks very nice, but we need to see it in person.

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
would say though that the optional Bamboo wood is a treat in the new LS. Other than that, everything else i say is about the same level of craftsmanship imo. The interior design is a killer in the new LS also.
I'm personally not a fan of the bamboo. Its beautifully done, just not my thing.
Old 07-30-14, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For me, the way everything comes together and works. Materials, design and operation.

I understand that you might think the 430 is better, and that is fine. Where do you think it is better?
I don't think the LS430 is better, I've said repeatedly that I think materials and craftsmanship overall are the same. Thats my problem, it should be better not the same. The LS430 had a leather stitched lower dash and leather stitched door panels. The LS460 has a leather stitched lower dash and leather stitched door panels. The LS430 has a standard felt headliner with optional alcantara. So does the LS460. LS430 has vanity mirrors for the rear passengers. So does the LS460. The LS430 had 14 way power seats with a driver length extension. The LS430 has 14 way power seats with a driver length extension. The LS430 has standard spray dyed leather with a semi-analine option. So does the LS460. The LS430 had 3 wood options...the LS460 has three wood options. The only difference is the available executive seating option...which is incredibly rare.

See what I'm getting at? Theres nothing new, nothing different that makes it stand out. If you compare the difference in the interiors between the LS400 and LS430, the difference was huge at that time. Thats what I'm talking about, thats the kind of generational improvement Lexus needs to make again.

When you take aesthetics out of the equation, when you take improved styling out of it...there is nothing that the LS460 has that the LS430 didn't have when it comes to the interior. Right down to the amount of available seat adjustments, they are exactly the same. Materials are the exact same, sourced from the same source I'm sure...plastics are the same...leather is the same. When you compared my 98 LS to the LS430 the difference was huge. The interior was larger, more comfortable, more adjustable seats, more customization options, better materials standard and options for even better materials.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-30-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

In any case, it seems like other than the really obvious stuff, most of the fit & finish discussion is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder kind of thing.
well fit and finish and this thread is actually all objective... it turned out to be design and more talk but originally the thread pointed out pretty major issues in vehicle production that did not get cought by inspection before leaving factory or dealer during the PDI.
Old 07-30-14, 04:58 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the LS430 is better, I've said repeatedly that I think materials and craftsmanship overall are the same. Thats my problem, it should be better not the same. The LS430 had a leather stitched lower dash and leather stitched door panels. The LS460 has a leather stitched lower dash and leather stitched door panels. The LS430 has a standard felt headliner with optional alcantara. So does the LS460. LS430 has vanity mirrors for the rear passengers. So does the LS460. The LS430 had 14 way power seats with a driver length extension. The LS430 has 14 way power seats with a driver length extension. The LS430 has standard spray dyed leather with a semi-analine option. So does the LS460. The LS430 had 3 wood options...the LS460 has three wood options. The only difference is the available executive seating option...which is incredibly rare.

See what I'm getting at? Theres nothing new, nothing different that makes it stand out. If you compare the difference in the interiors between the LS400 and LS430, the difference was huge at that time. Thats what I'm talking about, thats the kind of generational improvement Lexus needs to make again.

When you take aesthetics out of the equation, when you take improved styling out of it...there is nothing that the LS460 has that the LS430 didn't have when it comes to the interior. Right down to the amount of available seat adjustments, they are exactly the same. Materials are the exact same, sourced from the same source I'm sure...plastics are the same...leather is the same. When you compared my 98 LS to the LS430 the difference was huge. The interior was larger, more comfortable, more adjustable seats, more customization options, better materials standard and options for even better materials.

I see your point but from what i can see Lexus is taking a different approach with "more". IMO, their "more" comes in the form of technology. The amount of tech in the 460 compared to the 430 is marginally better. Yes you can offer 100 different wood options and 1000-way seats but from what i see, its a waste of resources that's better used in offering better/usable tech such as the face monitoring thingy for example. My guess is that Lexus doesn't get a lot of request for customization so they don't really focus on it. They're sticking to core selling items that gives the best return. Meat and potatoes of options you can say.
Old 07-30-14, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Exactly lol. I personally have a hard time seeing how a FWD based architecture vehicle based on the Rav 4 can blow away something like an X3...the interior looks very nice, but we need to see it in person.
Plenty of people did see NX in person, it has been touring Lexus dealer showrooms for last 2 months I think.

And of course - what does FWD vs RWD have to do with interior? X1 is RWD vehicle and its interior quality is not even "premium", let alone "quality". At least Euro models I have sit in compare poorly with Rav4 when it comes to fit and finish, with quality of materials going either way depending on what package you got.
Old 07-30-14, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good post. What made the original 90s-vintage LS400 such as good car was not necessarily having the best interior in its class (actually, in some ways, it really wasn't that impressive-looking inside, at least IMHO). Nor was the LS400's sheet metal necessarily anything to write home about.....except for a nicely-done paint job. But it was what was under the LS400's skin that really matterd. Even today, I still routinely see 90s-vintage LS400s running around the D.C. area with 200K or more miles on them.
Old 07-30-14, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of people did see NX in person, it has been touring Lexus dealer showrooms for last 2 months I think.
Still a preproduction model.

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I see your point but from what i can see Lexus is taking a different approach with "more". IMO, their "more" comes in the form of technology. The amount of tech in the 460 compared to the 430 is marginally better. Yes you can offer 100 different wood options and 1000-way seats but from what i see, its a waste of resources that's better used in offering better/usable tech such as the face monitoring thingy for example. My guess is that Lexus doesn't get a lot of request for customization so they don't really focus on it. They're sticking to core selling items that gives the best return. Meat and potatoes of options you can say.
But none of that tech is cutting edge, it and more is available from everybody. I recognize that when it comes to things like seat adjustments, theres a point of diminishing return, I'm just saying they need to improve the car...not just make it look different...and if I upgrade from my GS to an LS I shouldn't have to give up features...i.e. my adjustable front seats.

As for customization. Go on the website for every competitor. Build an S Class...build a 7 Series, build an XJ, build an A8. Everybody else offers customization, leather options, color options, trim options, etc. Is it more likely that all of these competitors are appealing to a desire in the consumer and that Lexus is behind in that regard, or is it more likely that everybody else has misread and Lexus is the only one who realizes nobody cares?

I have read from many CL members who left Lexus for other brands that a big reason they did was their inability to spec out a Lexus exactly as they want it. Like I said...options are a true luxury.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good post. What made the original 90s-vintage LS400 such as good car was not necessarily having the best interior in its class (actually, in some ways, it really wasn't that impressive-looking inside, at least IMHO). Nor was the LS400's sheet metal necessarily anything to write home about.....except for a nicely-done paint job. But it was what was under the LS400's skin that really matterd. Even today, I still routinely see 90s-vintage LS400s running around the D.C. area with 200K or more miles on them.
Absolutely...one of those running around with 200k+ miles was ours! lol

But...if you look at every generation, it improved. They offered better...the car was more.
Old 07-30-14, 05:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

To me difference between 2012 model and before is way bigger, and it was "just" a facelift. It introduced different front and and completely different interior... Frankly previously LS was pretty boring car that I never considered - new LS looks pretty darn great, both inside and out.

But you are talking only about options, which I really dont understand at all. Just because previous LS had xx way seats and new one has xx way seats, they are not the same. And just because it previously had wood, it is not the same as new shimamoku wood. Comparing old LS430 wood and new shimamoku wood, they are from different planet.

We also got a lot more interior options and technology. From climate concierge to huge screen to all led lighting with interior illumination, to that shimamoku wood and finally great interior colors - to me, the difference is night and day in interior. New interior colors and wood is a lot nicer looking than before - there are 5 leather colors and 4 wood options, all looking good - even light gray due to different colors in interior.

On the other hand, Lexus will always look like a Lexus... it has indenity now. Just like BMW will be BMW and Audi Audi. Obviously when you sit down in different brand, all is new and great compared to looking at "same" interiors before.

So it is not bad to change brands sometimes because that gives you all new perspective on things and gives you amount of change that no new model can (from same brand)
Old 07-30-14, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Still a preproduction model.
well they started producing them and it still has leather dash and amounts of leather everywhere that nobody from competition can match, options or no options :-)

Heck, it was first Lexus that German media said it had excellent interior... they didnt find GS to be able to compare to 5/A6 in interior, so it really has to be something :-))))
Old 07-30-14, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me difference between 2012 model and before is way bigger, and it was "just" a facelift. It introduced different front and and completely different interior... Frankly previously LS was pretty boring car that I never considered - new LS looks pretty darn great, both inside and out.
Agreed...BUT I think the quality of the interior had actually degraded from the LS430 to the 07-12 LS460. The 13 refresh brought back that lost quality...

But you are talking only about options, which I really dont understand at all. Just because previous LS had xx way seats and new one has xx way seats, they are not the same. And just because it previously had wood, it is not the same as new shimamoku wood. Comparing old LS430 wood and new shimamoku wood, they are from different planet.
The shimamoku wood is nice...but its simply another option of wood color. They're just exchanging features and colors and materials for other features, colors, and materials that are the same. Where is the improvement, where is the next level of quality?

to that shimamoku wood and finally great interior colors - to me, the difference is night and day in interior. New interior colors and wood is a lot nicer looking than before - there are 5 leather colors and 4 wood options, all looking good - even light gray due to different colors in interior.
The only color that has not always been available on the LS is Flaxen. Other than that we have black, grey and cream. We need different leather options, more color options, bold colors like cabernet and dark browns that are popular. Look at the color palette for the S Class or 7 Series.

well they started producing them and it still has leather dash and amounts of leather everywhere that nobody from competition can match, options or no options :-)
Not a leather dash...its an imitation leather dash

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-30-14 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Fit and Finish Issues... Really?