Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fit and Finish Issues... Really?

Old 07-26-14, 02:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Fit and Finish Issues... Really?

Perhaps having owned 6 Lexus vehicles has "ruined" me in terms of elevating my standards on what's expected in a luxury car regarding fit and finish.

I went to check out the competition today, took this pic and video, because I couldn't believe it. Is this acceptable to you???

2014 MB GLK: (not shown, 2014 Audi Q5 had a very similar cheap rubber trim finish and poor cut/fit)

2015 Volvo XC60 T6:

2015 Lincoln MKC: See posts:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8635088-post74.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8635095-post75.html

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-26-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 02:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Why does that trim look so weathered and old?
Old 07-26-14, 02:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The trim on my C class is the same as that of the GLK, not in terms of the rubber lining up, but in terms of the dull weathered look. A simple coat of Back to Black makes a huge different.
Old 07-26-14, 02:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

A car with the soft black plastic on the exterior has always been a turnoff for me. I know it will look weathered soon.
Old 07-26-14, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Perhaps having owned 6 Lexus vehicles has "ruined" me in terms of elevating my standards on what's expected in a luxury car regarding fit and finish.
True, I've found plenty of 'short cuts' on all makes and models including Lexus, though Lexus tends to lead. Acura also assembles their cars with Swiss-watch like quality
Old 07-26-14, 03:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interior trim pieces in my C class do not align perfectly. This doesn't bother me as much as rattles, squeaks, other noises, which drive me up the wall. Everything in otherwise solid in the benz
Old 07-26-14, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True, I've found plenty of 'short cuts' on all makes and models including Lexus, though Lexus tends to lead. Acura also assembles their cars with Swiss-watch like quality
Yeah, no one is immune from these glitches. Some do it better than others though. The ES for example has taken its share of lumps not so much for fit, gut for less than stellar materials.
Old 07-26-14, 06:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah, no one is immune from these glitches. Some do it better than others though. The ES for example has taken its share of lumps not so much for fit, gut for less than stellar materials.
Yes the plastics are not as nice, but the assembly is still above much of the industry
Old 07-26-14, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

interior trim pieces in my C class do not align perfectly. This doesn't bother me as much as rattles, squeaks, other noises, which drive me up the wall. Everything in otherwise solid in the benz
Same here, which is why the XC60 would never see my money just from the squeaky door handle, which BTW, was a problem with all four doors, on BOTH XC60s in the showroom! I don't understand how that passed initial design or even assembly quality inspections. From the "Lexus book", this first of all would not have left the design stage, but if it hit the assembly stage, this would have been fixed with some felt tape in between the plastic trim pieces to eliminate the gap, flex, and hence the squeak.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-26-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 08:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a Buick LaCrosse at work that I walk past in the parking lot almost every morning. The driver's side front and rear doors do not align and it is REALLY obvious in the chrome trim around the door window frames. The trim takes a big, obvious jog where the rear of the front door meets the front of the rear door. Just looking at it is painful and makes me wonder how the doors could seal against the rain.

Sorry that I don't have a picture.

I guess what makes it worse is that it is sitting in the parking lot of an aircraft manufacturer. If our aircraft had such obvious misalignments they would not be allowed to fly.
Old 07-27-14, 02:31 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top tip: sit in a car you're interested in, grab the front center tunnel (where the cup holders are) with both hands (one on either side) and try to move it side to side. In some cars (Dodge/Chrysler, Mazda) it will actually move, others (Honda) it remains rock solid.
Old 07-27-14, 05:47 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very normal with German cars.

The trim pieces, fittings and panel gaps are no where as good compared to even cheap Japanese cars.

Let alone luxury brands like Lexus or Acura..
Old 07-27-14, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
This is very normal with German cars.

The trim pieces, fittings and panel gaps are no where as good compared to even cheap Japanese cars.

Let alone luxury brands like Lexus or Acura..
Lol. Have friends with few year old e-class and 3 series and others and they're like tanks with no trim issues. Audi on the other hand I think is more like fancy vw and not on the same level.
Old 07-27-14, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Top tip: sit in a car you're interested in, grab the front center tunnel (where the cup holders are) with both hands (one on either side) and try to move it side to side. In some cars (Dodge/Chrysler, Mazda) it will actually move, others (Honda) it remains rock solid.
Good tip! Thanks.
Old 07-27-14, 10:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Everyone cheaps out in certain places. You make a good point but I was disgusted when recently riding in the back of a brand new Honda Accord. The door panel noticeably flexed when the window was rolled down and then rolled all the way back up- it made the entire assembly seem cheap and flimsy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit and Finish Issues... Really?