Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fit and Finish Issues... Really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't have any recent experience with the systems in Jeep or BMW, but how do they compare to the new Lexus system in the IS, CT, and GX? Do you feel the new Lexus system addresses those shortcomings or are they still behind?
They blow the new Lexus system completely, and utterly away. Its not even a contest.

The "new" system in the IS, CT & GX is not really all that new, its just a further refreshed version of the same old system. I actually like the "look" of the system in my GS better than the new system in the IS, CT & GX.

Back to the LS and in reference to it being a car you just have to experience driving. I agree, but I will say that somewhere between the LS430 and the LS460 they lost some of that "LS magic" somehow. I can't put my finger on it, but driving an LS400 or LS430 the car has this incredible solidity and refinement to the way it rides that somehow is not quite the same in the LS460. The 460 feels more like a really nice car that rides really well, while the LS400 and LS430 felt really special.

I don't know, but the LS460 doesn't have that same magic for me. Still a great, great car but not quite the same. If you read the LS forums a lot of people who went from the 430 to the 460 agree.
Old 07-30-14, 12:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They blow the new Lexus system completely, and utterly away. Its not even a contest.
In what ways, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-30-14, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In what ways, if you don't mind me asking?
The Jeep's uConnect system is what I have the most experience with. Its a matter of functionality, the uConnect has so many more functions, so many more adaptions to the nav system's functionality, the audio options are better integrated, for instance great graphics for XM station logos, the screen quality is better, the icons for all the functions are better looking, higher quality Apple-like, phone integration is better, the icons for the different functions are dynamic so the icon for the phone shows a picture of an iPhone, and my signal strength, whether its 3G or 4G, the nav icon doubles as a compass. Apps are better integrated, you can customize the displays much more, move around where things are displayed. You can dive into traffic, look at alternate routes and see average speeds on certain roadways.

BMW's system has google maps, google street view, same functionality with traffic.

Both systems also just look a lot better with better screens.
Old 07-30-14, 12:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Jeep's uConnect system is what I have the most experience with. Its a matter of functionality, the uConnect has so many more functions, so many more adaptions to the nav system's functionality, the audio options are better integrated, for instance great graphics for XM station logos, the screen quality is better, the icons for all the functions are better looking, higher quality Apple-like, phone integration is better, the icons for the different functions are dynamic so the icon for the phone shows a picture of an iPhone, and my signal strength, whether its 3G or 4G, the nav icon doubles as a compass. Apps are better integrated, you can customize the displays much more, move around where things are displayed. You can dive into traffic, look at alternate routes and see average speeds on certain roadways.

BMW's system has google maps, google street view, same functionality with traffic.

Both systems also just look a lot better with better screens.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like there's some great work that went into the system!
Old 07-30-14, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not exactly sure which specific component you are talking about, but, from my experience, NOTHING blows the LS460 Mark Levinson stereo away. That unit is simply insane.
Old 07-30-14, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The benefit of the newer system is the predictive traffic, 3D maps, 'One-shot address entry', lifetime traffic/weather, displays speed limit of road, freeway turns have proper arrows.

That said it's slow, lags, will reset/freeze from time to time. It's really disappointing and I wish Lexus would address this. It needs refinement.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not exactly sure which specific component you are talking about, but, from my experience, NOTHING blows the LS460 Mark Levinson stereo away. That unit is simply insane.
He's talking about the Navigation system.

And btw the 4GS ML 835 watt system is nothing short of spectacular.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-30-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not talking about audio systems, I'm talking about the infotainment system, the screen interface, menu system, nav system, etc.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like there's some great work that went into the system!
Lexus can do even better, they just have to up their game in this department.
Old 07-30-14, 12:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The benefit of the newer system is the predictive traffic, 3D maps, 'One-shot address entry', lifetime traffic/weather, displays speed limit of road, freeway turns have proper arrows.

That said it's slow, lags, will reset/freeze from time to time. It's really disappointing and I wish Lexus would address this. It needs refinement.
100% agree. The new systems basically addresses every complaint I have about the old system, but adds new ones, like slow responses, crashes, and functions that randomly quit working. It's my one and only complaint with my IS.
Old 07-30-14, 01:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I said it was objective. I happen to like the 2011 interior. You and I are both quite objective (see my previous post above)
I think you're confusing the terms objective and subjective.
Old 07-30-14, 02:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In styling, sure. But when it comes to quality, material quality, etc etc I don't see how you can say that. I had an LS430...and while the interior of the 13-14 LS is not a "downgrade" as I feel the interiors of the ES, RX, IS, GX, are...its not an "upgrade" either. Its simply "as good". I love the LS460, and likely will get one in 1.3 years when my lease is up, but it is what it is.

Look at the new S Class vs any other S Class. Look at the new XJ vs any other XJ, look at the new 7 vs any other 7. The material quality, build, differentiations in available interesting trim, quality leathers, etc is superior. The LS offers what it offered in 2001 inside...two leather options, three wood options, an optional alcantara headliner. Exactly the same.

The S Class by comparison has 4 leather options, 4 or 5 wood options, a ton of exotic color choices and combinations. basic quality materials and the options for even higher quality.

Its not just the current S either, look at the outgoing S vs the previous S. Same thing. Evolving, improving. More options, more choices, more quality. Not the same or less. Its not 1999 anymore when you could put a wood/leather wheel in a car, have nice padded plastics and nice leather and its instantly luxurious.
To be honest, can you really get any better than the LS430 in terms of interior build quality and materials? Is there a car today outside of RR and Bentley that can match the 430 in that area? Maybe the new S-class but look how long it took to get here. Lexus itself is even hard pressed to match the craftsmanship of the LS430. I'm not just saying that because i own on but really. Most high end cars of today matches the 430 at best imo. Of course my words are open to debate.
Old 07-30-14, 02:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
To be honest, can you really get any better than the LS430 in terms of interior build quality and materials? Is there a car today outside of RR and Bentley that can match the 430 in that area? Maybe the new S-class but look how long it took to get here. Lexus itself is even hard pressed to match the craftsmanship of the LS430. I'm not just saying that because i own on but really. Most high end cars of today matches the 430 at best imo. Of course my words are open to debate.
Sorry but the LS460 for 13-14 beats the previous gen LS430 in every way. Materials, build, HP the list goes on. Design as well.
Old 07-30-14, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Not much debate from my point of view. Most of what you said is correct. The LS430 does, in some ways, represent the zenith of both Lexus interior materials and ride-comfort.
Old 07-30-14, 02:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

The IS will be blown out of the water by the new C Class, and as it is now its not really "better" than a well optioned 3 series. The ES is blown away by the new Genesis, and has an interior similar in quality to a Buick Lacrosse now, because Buick has improved their interior. BMW and MB don't have a competitor.
This is simply not true IMHO... BMW and MB interiors need high end options that are not available in every market. Regular 3 series has worse interior than IS, by far. Regular 3 series that has mid-spec interior has quality that is more comparable to midsize non luxury vehicles from Europe. C class has a nice interior and exterior, but to get there you do have to spend a lot more money. If you spend same amount of money, you get much worse vehicle with halogen front lights.

That goes for 5 series too as well as A6 (E class is far behind), you need to spend a lot more money to get great similar but still worse interior than GS.

Is leather dash even available on 535i in USA? I checked website and couldnt spec it, yet similar vehicle to GS350 with Luxury costs almost $15k more.

As to Genesis being better interior than ES, then it is also surely a lot better than 3 series and A4? Similar pricing to all of them. So hows that "bad" for Lexus, but then BMW and Audi and MB are great?

To go into most recent models, NX blows X1, X3, Q3, Q5 out of the water interior wise. RC fixes few faults of IS and has great interior.

So contrary to you, I felt like there was a never better time for Lexus... lots of new models, great cars that are best handling in the class, new engines coming as well.

This to me is very different than 2009 for instance when brand was pretty booring.

This is just my opinion of course :-). I usually complain a lot about poor interiors in mid-spec European vehicles, as in Europe, most of them are mid-spec and very few are loaded through the roof. So my buddy got 5 series with half-fake-leather and half textile seats that would not look premium in Yaris, let alone in BMW. And they were an upgrade too, base seats are worse... so when you enter an Lexus, it is like different world.

Last edited by spwolf; 07-30-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sorry but the LS460 for 13-14 beats the previous gen LS430 in every way. Materials, build, HP the list goes on. Design as well.
Have you ever driven either car? Be honest. My guess is no because two of us have asked you that and you've ignored it both times.The LS460 is absolutely not built better than an LS430. I don't think it's built worse, but it's not better and like I said there's something about the 400 and 430 that's just not there in the 460. I wouldn't buy a 430 now over a 460, it's too old but the difference is there.

As for the LS430, anything can be improved upon. There are better trims, more unique wood options with exposed pores and such, better leathers out there, thicker better carpeting, trim and detailing that can be improved. Lots of ways to improve even an incredible car.

That level of quality isn't unusual anymore.

Originally Posted by spwolf
As to Genesis being better interior than ES, then it is also surely a lot better than 3 series and A4? Similar pricing to all of them. So hows that "bad" for Lexus, but then BMW and Audi and MB are great?
I'm not saying the BMW and Audi are treat. I'm saying this generation ES has a lower quality interior than the previous ES. That ES had an interior lower quality than the one before it. I owned both of those generations, and when the 2013 came out it wasn't a car I had interest in anymore because of interior quality issues. That's not how it should be, and not how it is with other makes. I want to see each new generation improve upon the previous one in this area.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-30-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 03:32 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would irritate the crap out of me. huge no-no to subpar quality

Quick Reply: Fit and Finish Issues... Really?