Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Luxury Products Conquest Non-Luxury Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New Luxury Products Conquest Non-Luxury Owners

One of the most competitive parts of the U.S. new vehicle market is the lower end of the luxury space, where the Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class, Audi A3 sedan and BMW 320 all serve as gateways, at least on the car side, from the non-luxury makes up to the prestige brands. An IHS Automotive analysis of Polk new vehicle registration data indicates that the CLA-Class and A3 sedan are both succeeding in this effort as both appear on the list of models most likely to conquest non-luxury drivers. But they are not alone, and actually not at the top of the list. Among the ten premium models most likely to conquest non-luxury owners, the Volvo C70 ranks number one with more than two thirds of its conquests coming from non-luxury makes, followed by the JX and ILX (see table below). Nine of the ten models on this list are entry-level models based on price and/or size, but the Infiniti JX is a midsize crossover slotted above the EX. This situation speaks to the relative weakness of the EX, which will soon be replaced.

At the other end of the spectrum, the list of luxury models with the fewest percentage of non-luxury conquests indicates that Mercedes-Benz and BMW remain strong premium makes; each has three models on this top ten list. Note that only one of every ten S-Class conquests is from a non-luxury make, the lowest rate of any luxury model. Also note the overall difference in brand composition between the two lists, with the stronger luxury makes with broad product portfolios dominating the list of makes with low non-luxury conquests.

The fact that some luxury models are pulling more than half of their conquests from non-luxury makes suggests the line between luxury and non-luxury is blurry at best. As more luxury makes join Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi in the entry-level arena, and as mainstream makes continue to offer sophisticated products at the top of their portfolios, the division between luxury and non-luxury may fade even more.
Ten Models with Highest Conquests from Non-Luxury Segments | % Total Conquests
  1. Volvo C70 68.01%
  2. Infiniti JX35 63.89%
  3. Acura ILX 59.66%
  4. Audi A3 57.34%
  5. Cadillac ATS 56.88%
  6. Acura RDX 56.53%
  7. BMW 128 53.93%
  8. Lexus CT200H 53.17%
  9. Land Rover LR2 52.47%
  10. Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class 51.83%

Ten Models with Lowest Conquests from Non-Luxury Segments | % Total Conquests
  1. Porsche 911 18.86%
  2. Porsche Panamera 18.19%
  3. BMW 550 17.76%
  4. Land Rover Range Rover 16.52%
  5. Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class 15.81%
  6. Lexus LS 15.45%
  7. BMW 640 14.97%
  8. BMW 750 14.91%
  9. Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 14.03%
  10. Mercedes-Benz S-Class 10.35%
    Old 07-25-14, 02:25 PM
    pbm317
    Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

those all make sense to me. although the C70 is kind of interesting. Generally it's the lowest priced model in each respective lineup.
    Old 07-25-14, 03:47 PM
    LexFather

Some of those are not luxury. They have a badge. A loaded Accord is a more luxurious car than those Acuras for example with more features.

It shows the power of the badge. Which is fine it is what it is.

Old 07-25-14, 03:51 PM
    corradoMR2
    The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
    Some of those are not luxury. They have a badge. A loaded Accord is a more luxurious car than those Acuras for example with more features.

Was going to say something very similar. I don't consider the Acura Civic, I mean ILX, luxury whatsoever.
    Old 07-25-14, 03:55 PM
    Hoovey689

With the success of the Evoque I tend to forget the LR2 exists lol
    Old 07-25-14, 05:17 PM
    Toys4RJill
    Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think most of the cars are luxury brands. Maybe not luxury cars but they should be a tier 1 or 2 luxury brand. I surprised the writer did not add the Chevrolet Verano on the list.
    Old 07-25-14, 06:52 PM
    mmarshall
    Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
    I think most of the cars are luxury brands. Maybe not luxury cars but they should be a tier 1 or 2 luxury brand. I surprised the writer did not add the Chevrolet Verano on the list.
    Simple. The writer knows that the Verano is not a Cruze. in other words, he or she did their homework.

Actually, the Verano IS getting at least some of the sales that the ill-fated ILX is losing. But neither one is really priced high enough to be in the "luxury" range....though the Verano drives like a mini-luxury car.

Notice, however, that the first group (conquests from non-luxury brands) are not all, but mostly, relatively inexpensive entry-level luxury models (by those automaker's standards). That shows that they are basically doing what they were intended to do......drawing in buyers to their entry-level category from other makes. In other words, those new-time buyers to that brand are walking before they run....and starting off on the lowest level in the brand.
    Old 07-25-14, 06:55 PM
    mmarshall
    Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The Evoque, IMO, is clearly an example of a vehicle that sells mostly because of image and the Land-Rover nameplate. Its rear-end styling, with the low, slant-down roofing and the slit-windows, makes it quite difficult to see out the back. I'm also not terribly impressed with its interior.
    Old 07-25-14, 07:39 PM
    Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
    The Evoque, IMO, is clearly an example of a vehicle that sells mostly because of image and the Land-Rover nameplate. Its rear-end styling, with the low, slant-down roofing and the slit-windows, makes it quite difficult to see out the back. I'm also not terribly impressed with its interior.
    The LR2 is admittedly more "rugged" looking than the similar sized Evoque (both even share that 2.0 EcoBoost now), but not many off road a Land Rover unless it's a Range Rover or Discovery (LR4). Point being consumers seems to like this City Chić Evoque's looks more. A LR2/Freelander replacement is supposedly in the works.
    Old 07-25-14, 08:18 PM
    LexFather

The Evoque is fantastic and priced and equipped like a luxury car. The style alone trumps most in this group.

Just noticed the JX35, so most buyers are not from other luxury brands. Makes sense as they would have lower expectations so they are impressed by a pretty lackluster "luxury" vehicle.

Old 07-25-14, 08:29 PM
    mmarshall
    Lexus Fanatic

The Evoque is fantastic and priced and equipped like a luxury car. The style alone trumps most in this group.
    I'll respect your opinion, but I guess it depends on what you mean by "fantastic". It certainly does not have what I would consider fantastic outward vision or a plush interior. And reliability with almost any Land Rover product is (or can be) a potential issue.

Just noticed the JX35, so most buyers are not from other luxury brands. Makes sense as they would have lower expectations so they are impressed by a pretty lackluster "luxury" vehicle.
    A number of them may (?) also be step-ups from Highlanders, Pilots, Pathfinders, Equinoxes, etc..... by people who still want a mid-sized SUV but a little more panache in the nameplate. For them, the RX and MDX may not cut it for some reason (maybe towing ability).
    Old 07-25-14, 10:19 PM
    LexFather

Consumers and the market consider the Evoque a luxury SUV. The car was purposely designed with an emphasis on design so poor visibility doesn't matter. Something had to be sacrificed for style. I think sales might have levels off but for awhile they couldn't build the Evoque fast enough.

Old 07-25-14, 11:01 PM
    Toys4RJill
    Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
    Was going to say something very similar. I don't consider the Acura Civic, I mean ILX, luxury whatsoever.
    I think in a few years, the real luxury brands are going to seriously eat into the premium upmarket (non luxury) cars like Acura, Buick, and the Avalon. The luxury makers have done a good job at attracting new buyers.
    Old 07-25-14, 11:39 PM
    Aron9000
    Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
    HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't know they still sold the LR2, I thought it had been out of production for 4 or 5 years by now lol. I know the "Freelander", when that came out around 2000 or 2001, man what a pile of junk. The LR2 was better, but I could think of a million better SUV's out there for similar $$$$.
    Old 07-26-14, 12:29 AM
    Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Aron9000
    HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't know they still sold the LR2, I thought it had been out of production for 4 or 5 years by now lol. I know the "Freelander", when that came out around 2000 or 2001, man what a pile of junk. The LR2 was better, but I could think of a million better SUV's out there for similar $$$$.
    Haha yeah it's easy to forget with the success of the Evoque. They share the same 240hp EcoBoost 2.0 but their approaches to styling, one is more traditional, the other more modern chić

Quick Reply: New Luxury Products Conquest Non-Luxury Owners