Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hellaflush Rides Declared Illegal in Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 01:16 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Slammed cars and lifted trucks are just 2 things I'll never understand.

I couldn't care less about wheel gap.
Old 07-26-14, 02:25 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, if there's one freedom still left in USA, its the freedom to be a moron.

I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but when it comes to those ridiculous modified cars, I'm with ya.
Freedom to be a moron until you kill someone with a "Hella stance car"..

I was driving thru New Orleans, spotted a GS Hella Flush barely able to keep it straight going 55 on a 70 mph hwy.. And he was on the fast lane.. I just blew by him doing 80 mph (no effort) my GS430 totally stock ride height.. but the whole time, i'm thinking this guy can lose control and ram into anyone around him is why I quickly blew by him with a big grin on my face..
Old 07-26-14, 02:33 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally, I like the stance cars at shows. I def would not attempt to drive it.. First time i saw a stance car in Texas when I first moved here. Meet some cool guys at a meet but when i saw them leaving.. Asked how fast can they go? "not very fast" and that they had trouble exiting a mild incline driveway boggles my mind.. My GS400 with a 2 inch drop (with me in it) and full body kit with extra wide rims. I have no trouble getting around..
Old 07-26-14, 01:24 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said. I love the way stance burritos slammed at the show, but when they become danger to others on the road, they are not sitting well in my book

Last edited by tzu911; 07-26-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 10:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Holy crap.

Look at that amount of NEGATIVE CAMBER

NEGATIVE CAMBER

I guess I can understand why the government in Montreal made this law.

Such cars only belong on the showbooth AND NOT ON THE STREETS
Old 07-29-14, 10:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks like Ty's car in the beginning post. To me cars that low make them non functional and could possibly pose a threat to other drivers like Phil said but making a law about it is a bit much IMO.

sounds like the Canadian government has nothing better to do. Has stanced cars created deaths? if not then why a law?
Old 07-29-14, 10:38 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Slammed cars and lifted trucks are just 2 things I'll never understand.

I couldn't care less about wheel gap.
dont need lifted trucks in vegas eh
Old 07-29-14, 11:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

isnt it great, spend money on a fast excellent handling car like that S2000 to make it slow and undriveable?

One problem I see is how are they going to legally define "hellaflush" without stomping on people who arent stanced?
Old 07-29-14, 11:52 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do I think?

It's one thing for a car with a stance like that to sit in a showroom.and attract attention. It's quite another to actually try and DRIVE something like that on a public road. To attempt the latter would, IMO, be a case of engaging the shift lever before putting one's brain in gear.
Like attempting to wear fashion show outfits when going to a mall or a movie
Old 07-29-14, 11:55 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Safety is #1 priority (in east european accent)
Old 07-29-14, 01:07 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
isnt it great, spend money on a fast excellent handling car like that S2000 to make it slow and undriveable?

One problem I see is how are they going to legally define "hellaflush" without stomping on people who arent stanced?
This, it pains me to see people lowering their S2000's for perceived performance, when all they are doing is ruining the hard work the original engineers were doing. I can understand lowering a car thats setup to be comfortable, but the S2000 was engineered for performance from the start. Honda, one of the preeminent engineering firms in the world spends billions on setting up the car perfectly, then Bob comes in with his 199 dollar eBay springs and thinks he's making the car perform better,
Old 07-29-14, 01:23 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, lowering car has always been prohibited in the SAAQ's Laws (Society that rule the laws and the application regarding cars/trucks). Stretching tire was also against waaayyy back. They just issued a statement reminding everyone that it is prohibited. However their laws are so unclear that the officers can't really control what is acceptable and what isn't. The law states that you can't modify your car such as:
-Lower your car to prevent efficiency (okay what is the arbitrary measure there to say it prevents efficiency?)
-Stretch your tires that would cause premature wear (What is stretching? 1'' of stretching, 2 ''? Also they accept having 4 different tires on 4 different sizes on all corners)

So yeah, I never saw a police officer arrest anyone that was ''reasonably''lowered. Like on springs or regular coils. So the ''vagueness'' of the law makes it really difficult for officers to enforce and it makes it easy for a lot of people to go in those dark areas. I just can't understand how people can drive their cars on a regular basis the way they are dropped on our really bad roads. My last car was lowered 2 inches on coils and I was still scraping everywhere at regular speeds. I have to be careful even in my stock WRX.

So there you go with the whole ordeal happening in Quebec.
Old 07-30-14, 03:45 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man the govt has declared war against slammed people,
Old 07-31-14, 08:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Vehicle height does not bother me as much as the negative camber. Not only does it look ridiculous, but the reduced tire track makes it very dangerous to drive in wet conditions. With limited grip, your car tends to wander left and right when you hit even the slightest imperfection on the road. To me, hellaflush is the same thing as pepboys special, except it's more expensive.
Old 07-31-14, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Hey if they want to wear tires every two weeks fine with me. I have no issue with it. I think people have a mental block with the style and hate it and the govt in this case took action.

I mean we have stock ****ing cars driving with worn tires, brakes, etc which are just as much if not more of a threat and danger than this. I don't see those rides declared illegal.

Quick Reply: Hellaflush Rides Declared Illegal in Quebec