Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hellaflush Rides Declared Illegal in Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 06:35 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hellaflush Rides Declared Illegal in Quebec

Ever wondered if a car that's hellaflush and stanced as hell is street legal? Because it's probably not. And the authorities up in Canada have decided to make that perfectly clear, and even used the hellaflush in their description of offending cars. Which, regardless of your stance on stance, is kind of funny.

Here's the breakdown from MontrealRacing.com.

Since I've always been a fan of cars that turn and stop and can be driven into a parking lot without a gut wrenching scrape, the whole hellaflush scene has never appealed to me.

That said, I used to work for CarDomain, back when it was a automotive social networking site that covered events, and not a neglected graveyard of poorly aspected car pictures. Back then, high-risers--donks, boxes, bubbles--were hot, and even though they were dangerously high and almost-always using brakes which probably couldn't stop a tranquilized kitten, I got a huge kick out of those crazy rides. They were just straight hilarious.

So I'm not going to poke too much fun at this recent ruling. Because I'd really rather cops just make decisions regarding custom cars on a case-by-case basis, as most of the cops I've dealt with are pretty cool--as long as you aren't being a jerk.

What do you think?
Old 07-24-14, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What do you think?
What do I think?

It's one thing for a car with a stance like that to sit in a showroom.and attract attention. It's quite another to actually try and DRIVE something like that on a public road. To attempt the latter would, IMO, be a case of engaging the shift lever before putting one's brain in gear.
Old 07-24-14, 09:08 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To be fair, the car in the pic is probably on air. There is no way he drives at that height lol.
Old 07-25-14, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
To be fair, the car in the pic is probably on air. There is no way he drives at that height lol.
I've seen some morons try and drive on public roads (with humps/ramps) at ride-heights almost that low. And then they wonder why their lower body-work rips off.
Old 07-25-14, 09:59 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To lower your car to that extend and to drive it at that height is the owner's personal preference. If they want to avoid every pothole and go up every driveway sideways then it's their choice. We all may not like it on our personal vehicles but that's the freedom of personal preference and customization. I don't understand how this even became a concern of the police, I'm sure they have more important things they need to worry about.
Old 07-25-14, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The war against static drivers has begun
Old 07-25-14, 10:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikobangz
If they want to avoid every pothole and go up every driveway sideways then it's their choice.
The problem with their choice is that it affects the traffic around us.

I have been behind cars that are so low that they need the widest angle and clearance to get up a curb, and if there is another car in the way (like one entering and one leaving a driveway), they just block traffic until one car backs up to make room.

Is it an inconvenience to other drivers? Yes. Do we need to make laws against it? No.
Old 07-25-14, 10:53 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The problem with their choice is that it affects the traffic around us.

I have been behind cars that are so low that they need the widest angle and clearance to get up a curb, and if there is another car in the way (like one entering and one leaving a driveway), they just block traffic until one car backs up to make room.

Is it an inconvenience to other drivers? Yes. Do we need to make laws against it? No.
You have a point, that is very inconvenient to surrounding drivers. I've never been behind a car lowered to that extent which is probably why I didn't consider that. Of all my friends who have GSs mine is the lowest and I only scrape over high speed bumps, I can only imagine blocking traffic to get into a driveway.
Old 07-25-14, 01:41 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .............

What a coincidence...........ran into this on highway 22 a few weeks ago.

Hellajunk

I tell you this cant be safe!
Old 07-25-14, 02:01 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do I think?

It's one thing for a car with a stance like that to sit in a showroom.and attract attention. It's quite another to actually try and DRIVE something like that on a public road. To attempt the latter would, IMO, be a case of engaging the shift lever before putting one's brain in gear.
Agreed. Ha ha!
Old 07-25-14, 02:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've seen some morons try and drive on public roads (with humps/ramps) at ride-heights almost that low. And then they wonder why their lower body-work rips off.
Well, if there's one freedom still left in USA, its the freedom to be a moron.

I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but when it comes to those ridiculous modified cars, I'm with ya.
Old 07-25-14, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Although driving is, legally, a privilege and not a right, you are still probably correct on both counts. I'm not convinced that more traffic laws or regulations is the answer.
Old 07-25-14, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but when it comes to those ridiculous modified cars, I'm with ya.
Thanks. That's the difference between here and the debate forum. There, we argue and debate political and world issues. Here, we talk about CARS.....and only the politics that deal with cars.
Old 07-25-14, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
What a coincidence...........ran into this on highway 22 a few weeks ago.

Hellajunk

I tell you this cant be safe!
I must have been sitting in the back seat .

(just kidding)
Old 07-25-14, 09:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I personally dont blame them for making these mods illegal. I can imagine that these cars cant stop very well with 1/3rd of the tire contact patch on the ground at an angle. Add to this that I have heard of people hitting bumps and losing tires with these super stretched set ups.

If you modify , at least dont for performance. If you want to just go for looks make sure you dont hurt anyone else with your modified cars or stop traffic when a tire comes off. lol

Quick Reply: Hellaflush Rides Declared Illegal in Quebec