Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorWeek proves '90s were awesome w/ Supra, Stealth, RX-7, Corvette, 968, 300ZX

Old 07-24-14, 12:35 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MotorWeek proves '90s were awesome w/ Supra, Stealth, RX-7, Corvette, 968, 300ZX

MotorWeek proves '90s were awesome w/ Supra, Stealth, RX-7, Corvette, 968, 300ZX comparo

Oh, the heady days of 1993, back when the Clinton Presidency was just getting underway, and it seemed like every hot new rock band was coming out of Seattle. Sports cars in the US had finally shaken off the shackles that slowed them during the '70s and '80s, and you could buy any number of legitimately quick vehicles again. MotorWeek recently went digging into its archives to find this six-model test from 1993 showing off some of the best semi-affordable performance coupes that money could buy at the time, and it's priceless.

Featuring the 1994 model year Toyota Supra in twin-turbo guise and MY 1993 versions of the Porsche 968, Nissan 300ZX TT, Mazda RX-7, Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo and Chevrolet Corvette LT-1, MotorWeek definitely covered all of the bases. One thing that might surprise younger readers is these cars' performance. The video only provides 0-60 acceleration times, but several of these vehicles would still be considered pretty potent today – over 20 years since going on sale. The Supra is especially impressive, hitting 60 miles per hour in just 5 seconds. Even today, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Given their performance potential and still-attractive looks, it's amazing that some of these coupes are old enough to drink now. The progress of interior design and safety equipment in the intervening years is pretty shocking, though. In most of these models, having two airbags is touted as a big deal. Scroll down to watch a Throwback Thursday blast from the past about some of the '90s best sports cars.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/24/m...e-stealth-968/
Old 07-24-14, 02:11 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good times for sure, thanks for sharing
Old 07-24-14, 02:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Throwback indeed. Six sports cars of the 90s
Old 07-24-14, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You Tell' Em, John.

Good old John Davis. I've known him (somewhat casually) for years. He's an old acquaintance of mine.....not really a close friend, but I see him at local shows, and we chat. He's a nice guy, and tells it like it is.

While he basically stuck to the reviews in this video, the main reason those high-line Japanese sports cars (Supra, RX-7, Stealth, 300ZX, 3000GT) were withdrawn from the American market in the mid-90s was that their manufacturers, particularly on the top-line models, simply let them get too expensive, too equipment-laden, and too expensive to insure. In short, not many could afford them. John and I, at the time, both agreed that they needed a price reduction and maybe some decontenting if they were going to stay in the American market. But their manufacturers simply refused to do that, preferring instead to simply yank them out and go home.

It is interesting, though, that when some of those cars came back to the U.S. several years later (such as the 350Z and RX-8), they came back in pretty much the same way that John and I had first suggested.....somewhat decontented, lower power, and at a lower price (adjusted for inflation), though the RX-8 had also gained the two rear half-doors. And, the second time, they stayed around a lot longer.
Old 07-24-14, 02:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ The yen was strong in the mid 90's, so prices went up on those expensive sports cars. Here's a review of a car that SHOULD have been on that list IMO, the Acura NSX.

Old 07-24-14, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ The yen was strong in the mid 90's, so prices went up on those expensive sports cars.
The yen/dollar relationship certainly didn't help, but the main problem was that the manufacturers could have taken steps to reduce the prices on these high-line sports-cars, and didn't. Their attitude seemed to be that those cars would either sell at those prices of they would leave. Fortunately, several years later, in the early 2000s, they basically changed their minds, and re-introduced less-expensive successors.
Old 07-24-14, 05:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

What I found interesting is the RX-7 was priced the least, and it was the first to be pulled from the North American market.
Old 07-24-14, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
What I found interesting is the RX-7 was priced the least, and it was the first to be pulled from the North American market.
Price wasn't the only problem with the 3Gen RX-7. Mazda tried so hard to keep the weight down with thin aluminum parts that rough roads and potholes would tend to bend or break a number of parts underneath. Technicians replaced a lot of chassis/steering parts on these cars from road-impacts. In addition, the almost complete lack of sound insulation made it found like the inside of a drum. But the intense weight-cutting worked wonders in the steering/handling department....it was probably the closest thing to Go-Kart handling this side of a Lotus Elise.
Old 07-24-14, 05:26 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Amazing times good music and amazing cars
Old 07-24-14, 05:26 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I never had an issues with chassis/steering parts on my FD. My only complaint was the cheap interior and door handles that only seem to last a few years before breaking.
Old 07-24-14, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I never had an issues with chassis/steering parts on my FD.
FD?

If you're referring to an 3Gen RX-7, You probably wouldn't, if you drove mostly on smooth roads. But hit some bad stretches, or some potholes, and those old RX-7s could definitely bend a few things.

My only complaint was the cheap interior and door handles that only seem to last a few years before breaking.
The 3Gen RX-7's interior wasn't really that stark-looking or cheap per se, but, yes, it did have some lightweight parts.
Old 07-24-14, 05:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
FD?

If you're referring to an 3Gen RX-7, You probably wouldn't, if you drove mostly on smooth roads. But hit some bad stretches, or some potholes, and those old RX-7s could definitely bend a few things.

The 3Gen RX-7's interior wasn't really that stark-looking or cheap per se, but, yes, it did have some lightweight parts.
Yes sir, thats what we call them. I hardly even drive it anymore. Just sits at home for the most part.

Old 07-24-14, 06:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Great time and great cars, those Japanese sports cars simply dominated and are what made me prefer Japanese cars the most. I came close when I was younger to getting a tt 300zx or RX-7 but to insure them at that time was going to cost a fortune based on some quotes, I had a few too many speeding tickets. I loved test driving them though. I still plan on getting a used Supra or NSX as a weekend car.
Old 07-24-14, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDelI came close when I was younger to getting a tt 300zx or RX-7 but t[B
o insure them at that time was going to cost a fortune[/B] based on some quotes,
Yes, high insurance rates, particularly for younger unmarried males with points on their licenses, were one of several cost-related issues that simply drove these cars out of the American market in the mid-90s. And a high accident rate among this class of driver was only part of the reason rates were high. These cars were, understandably, often sought after by car thieves (though not to the extend of the popular Camry and Accord). And, after an accident, they could be quite expensive to repair because of the high cost of parts and their technological complexity. The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, for example, had AWD, all-wheel-steering, a power-retractible hardtop (a feature few cars had back then) and even a device that adjusted the sound of the exhaust note.
Old 07-25-14, 02:55 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even back then they were suffering of No-matter-what-Porsche-does-its-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread stigma. Twenty years after no one even remembers 968 as the competitor to such greats as Supra, 300ZX, RX7 and VR4. Just like no one even mentions first gen Boxster 986 as the competitor to S2000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MotorWeek proves '90s were awesome w/ Supra, Stealth, RX-7, Corvette, 968, 300ZX