Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This was a long time coming ever since the LC500 and LC500h trademarks
Old 05-26-15, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zema
Lexus LS500h Trademarked in Europe

Source: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...in-europe.html
turbo v6 hybrid maybe?
Old 05-26-15, 03:20 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from the latest edition of MAG-X. Test mule?

Old 05-27-15, 04:11 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zema
Lexus LS500h Trademarked in Europe

Source: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...in-europe.html
Thanks zema, always interesting to hear more about this. Lexus is taking their merrytime on filing new trademarks, as it gives away their plans. LS460 and LS600h trademarks were filed 18 months before production started in 2006.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Base model hybrid to give the LS a unique selling point compared to the S/7/A8/XJ, with a fuel cell or plugin hybrid version to go up against Teslas. Ballsy but I like the idea.
I wouldn't assume that just yet, there have to be more trademarks registered for LS variants. The LC500 and LC500h both exist, the former is obviously powered by a 5.0 Litre V8. I have been awaiting this day, as LS500 will be next. LS F will be a shocker.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This was a long time coming ever since the LC500 and LC500h trademarks
Yep, finally! Toyota knows what they're doing. Keeping powertrain information close to vest is very typical of them and trademarks release that too easily. LS500 trademark should be next, if not even an LS350 or LS400 trademark for a TTV6.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
from the latest edition of MAG-X. Test mule?

WOW, thank you! See what slips so easily through the cracks CL? We need to be accessing Mag X and other Japanese sources, as it's very clear Western automotive media remains very much out of the loop at times, while things quietly spill around in Japan. Internal people already saw the next LS last fall, as well as regional executives in the summer of 2014, so clearly it is very far along, but not enough for full introduction.

I will love to hear one day how long it took to develop this car, as Toyota product planning would've originally committed to something circa 2008 for the 5LS programme in some form. Perhaps Akio Toyoda taking over in 2009 changed all of that, as its clear that the MY2013 LS was styled before the March 2011 distasters in Japan and wouldn't exactly be a 5 minute job. That's at least 6-8 years behind anything 5LS, even longer than the LS400.

I hope that May 2017 date is inaccurate and applies to a variant of the 5LS. Japanese prototypes of that car must be testing in secret by now, heading to Europe or stateside in the coming months as final evaluation prototypes. For that matter, one hasn't even seen the LC coupe either.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-27-15 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Change in tense
Old 05-27-15, 06:53 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That mule looks like a giant ES with an old Nissan Cefiro rear end. I hope they have a sharp chiseled look like with the RX, that would make the LS stand out in a sea of boring exec limos.
Old 05-27-15, 08:16 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

This looks a lot like the current model. Prob just used for powertrain testing.
Old 05-27-15, 01:49 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

That mule looks like a giant ES with an old Nissan Cefiro rear end. I hope they have a sharp chiseled look like with the RX, that would make the LS stand out in a sea of boring exec limos.
It is quite obvious that it's the current LS, as I had said that in my previous post above. The words "test mule" should never be applied to anything that looks like the upcoming production body of any car, even though lazy bloggers and journalists misconstrue that and create an annoying domino effect of misinformation.

This should be a clean sheet of paper or close to it. The RX is a FWD-based crossover, which is no matter what, not on the same level. Doesn't mean it should ditch the Spindle Grille, but treat it like BMW has always with the trademark kidney grilles, by redesigning around it. A 4-door version of the LF-LC with moderate differentiation would've been interesting though.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-27-15 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 06:00 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That mule has a rounded rear instead of the current LS' sharp edges but you're right, it's just a mule. Anyway I hope Lexus get brave and do something with a CLS, A7 or Panamera-style swoopy roof line. The big spindle and chiseled lines from the latest Lexus designs would work great on a big 4-door coupe instead of a typical luxo-barge.

Last edited by chromedome; 05-27-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 02:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn that LS mule look very long, they have taken many measures to distort a lot of design features. Its going to be epic.

Last edited by G Star; 05-31-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 04:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys it's a mule, a mule means none of the bodywork you see has anything to do with the final design. It's a collection of existing bits and pieces grafted together to cover up the underpinnings.

The only things we can tell are proportion related, i.e. wheelbase, width, etc...
Old 05-31-15, 04:44 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Base model hybrid to give the LS a unique selling point compared to the S/7/A8/XJ, with a fuel cell or plugin hybrid version to go up against Teslas. Ballsy but I like the idea.
hydrogen is a dumb bet, there is no infrastructure for it outside of socal and japan. do you really want to limit your car to two markets?
Old 05-31-15, 05:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
hydrogen is a dumb bet, there is no infrastructure for it outside of socal and japan. do you really want to limit your car to two markets?
there will likely be a hydrogen version, just an showcase of their flagship technology. Dual FC engines with around 300hp, maybe more EV hp total. It will likely be sold only in Japan. There were some rumors already in japanese mags and posted here few months back.
Old 05-31-15, 05:17 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by spwolf
there will likely be a hydrogen version, just an showcase of their flagship technology. Dual FC engines with around 300hp, maybe more EV hp total. It will likely be sold only in Japan. There were some rumors already in japanese mags and posted here few months back.
that doesn't change the fact that its dumb, one quasi main stream model is not enough to push energy companies to build public hydrogen gas stations.

natural gas ls would have been more impressive.
Old 06-03-15, 05:11 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default Front Page News!

great insights! thought we'd let the front page in too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...to-talk-about/
Old 06-03-15, 06:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
that doesn't change the fact that its dumb, one quasi main stream model is not enough to push energy companies to build public hydrogen gas stations.

natural gas ls would have been more impressive.
Lexus LS that costs >$100k in Japan is not going to push hydrogen gas stations... it would be "halo" hydrogen vehicle. Thats what Mirai is for, as well as upcoming Honda model.

Natural gas makes no sense at all, Japanese dont have oil/gas sources, they need renewable energy storage for next millennium.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)