Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 08-01-14, 01:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of M, is BMW doing a M7 with the next gen?
Old 08-01-14, 01:26 PM
LexFather

^^ I am sure they will now. No way will BMW let Lexus beat them to the punch....

Old 08-03-14, 12:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I believe spy shots of the new S Class were spotted as early as May of 2011.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ystyles-report

And February of 2013 for the upcoming 7-Series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/2...rst-time-ever/
MB began testing final design prototypes of the W222 in late 2010 and were first caught in December 2010. The W222 was first spotted as a test mule on February 9, 2010, shortly following its design freeze.

I mention this as some have given the impression the car was in its final wrap up in 2008, which is far from correct. The earliest of the final body design was established in 2009 and was roadworthy from Q4 2010. The first seen using production lights (FEP prototypes), were caught February 22, 2012. By the 3rd quarter of 2012, it was pilot production and initial series production from April 2013 (June 2013 assembly). That gives an idea of how they do most of their testing, being that they take the longest against all competitors.

BMW froze the G11 design exactly 2 years ago in 2012, so that does explain the first of them running in February 2013.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I knew that line would get your attention. As a Jaguar owner myself (F-type), I bear no ill will to the brand. I just pray the next XJ debuts with a telematics system that can hold its own against competitors. They constantly outclass JLR in that area. Honestly the nav system in my car is trash and it takes too long to move through infotainment system itself with all of its submenus. I know they're constantly making efforts to upgrade the electrical architecture in these vehicles (I noticed the 2015 RR got upgraded internal computer equipment) but I can't help but think they're always catching up.

I also hope for AWD to be spread across more drivetrains and for the suspension to have more bandwidth. I understand the XJR is supposed to be the dynamic virtuoso of its class but it honestly does not need to ride that hard.
Oh sorry, I forgot about that. Thank you, as I do agree with your opinion about the telematics and share your frustration. That is one area I am most critical of, being a man of technology and innovation. I do not specialize in that professionally due to choices in majoring, but will say there are plans on the horizon concerning that. Usually Land Rover gets the better end of things than or before Jaguar does.

Originally Posted by toyemp
As someone who has grown up as part of the Toyota family (father worked for Toyota for 35 yrs and I was there for 12 yrs before I left), Toyota products will always have a place in my heart. However, in the $100k+ price range that I have been shopping in as of late, the Lexus line just doesn't excite me. Not that the current Jaguar products are perfect (technology features are still significantly behind other comparable products IMO) I'm willing to overlook that because of the emotional connection that I have with the styling/design. Power is nice also, but still room for improvement (for sheer HP potential, I still prefer AMG products) but I like where Jaguar has been going and will probably stick with the brand in the foreseeable future. I admit I am tempted by the new S-class coupe though :-)
Infotainment technology has always somewhat been lagging unfortunately, but that turnaround probably won't be complete for a little while. Investment in such areas is increasing though, as the facelift is focused on that area.

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
With the new "report", could be wrong, but it kinda makes me think those spy photos are of the next gen LS.
I agree with your viewpoint. It could be, but certainly not the final body design in prototype form. I was trying to say it is just a mule at most, but oddly disguised in entirety. If a prototype, I don't see Toyota spending 36-40 months from design freeze Q2 2013 and likely summer 2016. That test vehicle would've taken at least 6 months to build from design freeze. The 2007 LS took at most 20-26 months (2004 to summer 2006) and the LS430 24-26 months (mid-1998 to summer 2000).
Old 08-04-14, 06:18 AM
LexFather

Again it just means the next LS will feature more dramatic styling as did from the LS 430 to LS 460. The fact of the matter is no matter how "young" Lexus or any of these brands want to get, the people with the means to buy these cars are older. Lexus clearly hopes to get some younger buyers with the new car.

While I love my LS F-sport, you can feel even with the improvements, it is still based on the "old" Lexus compared to a GS or IS. The steering feel and chassis are not as tight. I am really excited for the next LS F-sport and LS F. I still don't see Lexus moving away from their traditional customer, they will still make and sell a boatload of base LS's or luxury LS's. As we can see with the 7/XJ/S-class/LS facelift, buyers all like the more styled cars each generation. Remember, people did buy the E65 lol.

Old 08-04-14, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Again it just means the next LS will feature more dramatic styling as did from the LS 430 to LS 460. The fact of the matter is no matter how "young" Lexus or any of these brands want to get, the people with the means to buy these cars are older. Lexus clearly hopes to get some younger buyers with the new car.
Exactly. And, we'll have to see, but that will (probably) be the case with the new one, too.

While I love my LS F-sport, you can feel even with the improvements, it is still based on the "old" Lexus compared to a GS or IS. The steering feel and chassis are not as tight.
You should really love it, than....it seems to give you the best (or at least a good combination) of both worlds.

(Though it's admittedly a much less expensive car than yours, that's one reason I like my own car......it gives some of the best from both the old Buick (quietness, refinement, decent ride) and new (Opel) Buick (sharper handling, better materials/reliibility/fit-finish), in a compact package that's easy to park in my tight condo parking-spaces)

Remember, people did buy the E65 lol.
Did you mean S65? The 65, of course, is a V-12, and Lexus, to date, has apparently decided not to go that route.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-14 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 08:39 AM
LexFather

^^ Thanks Mike. I meant "E65" as in the 2003-2009 or so 7 series

Old 08-04-14, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

While I love my LS F-sport, you can feel even with the improvements, it is still based on the "old" Lexus compared to a GS or IS. The steering feel and chassis are not as tight. I am really excited for the next LS F-sport and LS F. I still don't see Lexus moving away from their traditional customer, they will still make and sell a boatload of base LS's or luxury LS's. As we can see with the 7/XJ/S-class/LS facelift, buyers all like the more styled cars each generation. Remember, people did buy the E65 lol.
not a fair comparison when GS and IS are on new chassis designs (focused on rigidity and performance) while the LS is still on the old design (alongside 3gs and 2is). i strongly believe lexus is able to make a platform in the size of LS being more rigid and capable like that of the new GS and IS, while maintaining the ride comfort and quality

4gs and 3is both drives better and more fun than the 5/3 and e/c, but the current LS drives soft compared to both the 7 and w221 s. i think lexus can easily do better if they are able to implement new chassis
Old 08-04-14, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
not a fair comparison when GS and IS are on new chassis designs (focused on rigidity and performance) while the LS is still on the old design (alongside 3gs and 2is). i strongly believe lexus is able to make a platform in the size of LS being more rigid and capable like that of the new GS and IS, while maintaining the ride comfort and quality

4gs and 3is both drives better and more fun than the 5/3 and e/c, but the current LS drives soft compared to both the 7 and w221 s. i think lexus can easily do better if they are able to implement new chassis
Right I think we are agreeing here. I'm sure the new LS will be one hell of a chassis especially with plans for a LS F and the success of the F-sport.

I just read on Autonews BMW is now studying an AWD M7.......

Old 08-04-14, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Right I think we are agreeing here. I'm sure the new LS will be one hell of a chassis especially with plans for a LS F and the success of the F-sport.

I just read on Autonews BMW is now studying an AWD M7.......
clearing bmw is trying to "catch up" (as in damn mb is killing us)

yes, i have high expectation on the next LS, the current LS is limited by the chassis, rest are all step up
Old 08-04-14, 03:12 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

yes, i have high expectation on the next LS, the current LS is limited by the chassis, rest are all step up
I'm sure you also meant to include the "same engine" also
Old 08-16-14, 04:58 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next LS coming to LA?

New Lexus Model to Debut at LA Auto Show in November?

The LA Auto Show has announced that twenty-five production & concept vehicles will have their world debut at this year’s show in November, and will include a new model from Lexus.

Here’s a press release quote with all the details so far:

This year’s debuts will deliver production and concept vehicles representing the ever-growing luxury, performance, low and zero emission categories. The debuts range from flagship SUVs and ultra luxury sedans to new compact entries and zero-emission production and prototype debuts.

Among the 25 global premieres scheduled for Los Angeles this year will be models by Acura, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, General Motors, Hyundai, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Scion, Toyota, Volvo and Volkswagen.

A November debut comes at a strange time for Lexus — the RC/RC F and NX will just be arriving at dealerships, so something like an RX or GS F concept might be confusing to potential buyers.

My first guess? A concept for the next-generation LS. Outside of a brand-new model altogether, the LS is far enough away from the NX & RC that it won’t cause second guessing among consumers — it would almost fit with the “ultra luxury sedans” mentioned in the press release, and would also explain why senior Lexus executives are unconcerned with the declining sales of the current LS model.

It’s all speculation at this point — what do you think? Take a guess in the comments.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/08/1...show-november/
Old 08-16-14, 05:12 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus plans new LS for 2016

A replacement for Lexus' LS flagship sedan is currently under development and should be ready for launch in about two year's time, a new report finds.

Lexus' current LS is starting to get a little long in the tooth, but it won't be too long before a replacement is on the market. According to Motor Trend, Lexus is prepping its next-generation LS for a 2016 market launch as a 2017 model year.

Throughout its existence the LS has been a luxury cruiser along the lines of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but that will reportedly change for the next iteration of the Lexus range-topper. Instead, Lexus will aim toward the sportier end of the market, with vehicles like the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera in the LS' crosshairs.

To that end, the LS' base engine will be bumped form a 4.6L V8 to a more powerful 5.0L V8. The 2017 LS range will also finally see the addition of a high-performance F model. The LS F is expected to use a twin-turbocharged version of the 5.0L V8 good for 600 horsepower.
Naturally, Lexus will continue to offer a hybrid version of the LS. However, look for the gas-electric sedan to boast much better fuel economy numbers.

It might be a couple years until we see the production version of the 2017 LS, but expect Lexus to trot out a concept version sometime during the upcoming auto show season.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-ls-2017.html
Old 08-16-14, 08:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

To that end, the LS' base engine will be bumped form a 4.6L V8 to a more powerful 5.0L V8. The 2017 LS range will also finally see the addition of a high-performance F model. The LS F is expected to use a twin-turbocharged version of the 5.0L V8 good for 600 horsepower.
Naturally, Lexus will continue to offer a hybrid version of the LS. However, look for the gas-electric sedan to boast much better fuel economy numbers.
Recirculated news but a good reminder nonetheless. A strong base NA V8, a hybrid system that i'm hoping will see the 30mpg threshold and a F.
Old 08-17-14, 08:12 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Hoovey2411, do you know what Lexus vehicle will be debuting in LA?
Old 08-17-14, 08:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So more confirmation that the LS will be leaning on the sportier side of the spectrum to target the A8 and XJ. I have to say, that area of that segment is getting quite crowded.

More Sport:
Jag XJ
BMW 7-series
Audi A8
Lexus LS
Maserati Quattroporte (more $$$ though)
Porsche Panamera

More Lux:
MB S-class
Cadillac LTS (maybe?)
Kia K900 (value)
Hyundai Equus (value)