Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 11:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the FC stands for Fuel Cell, not coupe. Either way, it looks good, thought Lexus seems to have a hard time bringing concept style to reality
Old 10-27-15, 11:06 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First impressions: wow.

Second impression: not perfect, rear is kinda just the LF-LC's rear on a sedan. I like it better on the LC. The side profile is gorgeous, except the upward rake of the rear door could be a bit more gentle.

A few minutes after: Hmm, how is Lexus positioning this versus the competition? Just from pictures, it seems they have conceded to MB in going for the best luxo-barge crown.

Right now: worried about the production version. The transition from the LF-Gh (gorgeous) to the GS was... a little bit more than unsatisfactory. Even though the GS turned out okay, the LF-Gh just set expectations high only to be let down by the production version.

Though if they can get 85% of the interior to production version, they will have the best interior in class.
Old 10-27-15, 11:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

If this is Lexus' answer to the 6 series GC, I know what car is going to replace my current 3rd gen GS hybrid.

This car looks stunning--classy elegant yet mean at the same time.

I suspect that Lexus will have 2 flagships :

A 6 series GC competitor for those who want stylish sporty top of the line car and an S-class out and out luxury competitor : The LS proper
Old 10-27-15, 11:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
First impressions: wow.

Second impression: not perfect, rear is kinda just the LF-LC's rear on a sedan. I like it better on the LC. The side profile is gorgeous, except the upward rake of the rear door could be a bit more gentle.

A few minutes after: Hmm, how is Lexus positioning this versus the competition? Just from pictures, it seems they have conceded to MB in going for the best luxo-barge crown.

Right now: worried about the production version. The transition from the LF-Gh (gorgeous) to the GS was... a little bit more than unsatisfactory. Even though the GS turned out okay, the LF-Gh just set expectations high only to be let down by the production version.

Though if they can get 85% of the interior to production version, they will have the best interior in class.
speaking of the interior, they really took the S class's rear seats, in the way that the rear deck surrounds the chairs.
Old 10-27-15, 11:26 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to find words to express how much I hate 4 door fastbacks.
Old 10-27-15, 11:31 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Elegant, classy, sophisticated. Bravo. Beautiful car. Wondered when they would get rid of the side view mirrors. That'll further reduce wind noise. Awesome.
Old 10-28-15, 12:47 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, it looks interesting. I hope my theory is dispelled and this comes out as a 2017 model next year, but likely 18 months is the reality instead. Kind of silly how some commentary echoes that Lexus should not "water it down", when it is very much too late do that I figure. UK sources saw the production model in running prototype form 1 year ago, so that aspect of development is well past done with. This is really just a preview, that can't really act as a 5LS influence.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I think the LS renderings were done by someone who had not seen the car, but had its design features described to him by someone who had. Therefore I suspect its a good indicator on the graphic design (though the grill may be an artist interpretation of the spindle), but things like proportions and surfacing are complete guesses.

This will be confirmed when we see the concept, and if its body lines are similar in design to these renderings.
True, that's probably what it was. As we can see now, it was clearly someone who hadn't seen and instead choose to PS the incumbent XF40 / 4LS with that of other Lexus model cues (i.e. RC) . It was too derivative for me to consider it valid, which is why I've rejected it repeatedly.

Fair enough cmk1, but I was right about GS and RX being eerily accurate. That new render posted looks very interesting. The spindle grille is looking best on the bigger, bolder cars such as the new GS and LX. That looks pretty stately and more on the Cadillac/Lincoln side. I don't think that butt fits into a Lexus. It's kind of more old Infinite M ish.

Outside of looks, what can we expect on the technology side? I'm looking forward to seeing how this will be "progressive" and what sort of new, world first technology Lexus will have for their flagship. I hope they will be able to integrate transparent OLEDs into the LS somehow.
The GS and RX were never eerily accurate in the first place, as those renders showed up within weeks of official debut and were easy guesswork for the artists. The 4RX artist saw a verification test prototype build for sure sometime in January 2015.

We are probably 18 months out towards 5LS launch/SOP, so a tighter lid might be kept on the production design than with the 4GS and 4RX. It is not coming out next year, so guesswork is not going to be accurate (my theory now confirmed by LF-FC).

I agree with you, as I like how the LX and GS now wear the Spindle Grille. Ironically enough, those two were amongst the first to do so (along with CT). The first non-US LX facelift, had a molded, monotone spindle grille from February 2010 to December 2011. The most beautiful interpretations just might become that of the LC and LS.

For personal and competitive reasons, I am very interested in how far Lexus intends to take their flagship, especially regarding user interface technology.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I just hope that Lexus won't use the same 10 year old V8. This car needs to debut with everything new.
Let's hope not. Using the 2UR-GSE for the LS500, is not the best idea. A new model after 11 years, needs a fully new engine. Not a recycling.

Originally Posted by ydooby
Everyone else kept seeing it as the next LS, but I was the first to guess the correct answer.
This is a preview of the 5LS, it is not a separate model. I was right, when I said months ago that somehow it will nearly be a 4-door interpretation of the LC coupe with different headlights and some differentiating details.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-28-15 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 12:57 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I love how they have two screens besides the main gauge cluster to show both sides of the car, acting as side view mirrors. Would love to see that in production cars.
Old 10-28-15, 01:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not hating it. Looks bold yet elegant. Weren't lying when they said they'd go after the Panamera, XJ. Some Maserati too.
Old 10-28-15, 01:30 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I do believe this concept will shut down all of the skeptics thinking that the new Lexus design language will kill the LS.

Everyone wants to be the first one to catch the giant off guard.

This is getting my attention as a potential buyer.
Old 10-28-15, 01:37 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus knocked it out of the park.

This will be the LS, the news are already calling it the flagship, probably wording directly from Lexus. Last generation LS debuted with the LS600hL and now again they're pushing the envelope with the hydrogen fuel cell.

Its going to be the LS.

I was starting to get excited for the Aston Martin electric Rapide but Lexus has me grinning ear to ear in anticipation for the LS.

Last edited by G Star; 10-28-15 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 01:44 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't be too worried, Lexus has been very bold lately. I believe it was part of their plan. It started with the LF-GH, they couldn't have just made a massive change immediately, it had to have been gradual, they were easing the market into their plan.
Old 10-28-15, 01:53 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blew my mind, literally!
Didn't expect it to be THAT good. Lexus just took the automotive design to another lever.
Old 10-28-15, 02:41 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the interior. I do some of the styling and characteristics will make it to the new LS
Old 10-28-15, 02:46 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the navi screen will be that long?

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)