Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 06:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I like that. It looks Lincoln-esque in profile. I highly doubt it would look like this but...i wouldn't mind if it did.
Old 10-23-15, 07:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
So the headlight shape is somewhat similar, but we'll see if the whole car matches that. The rendering as a whole better not be representative of the 5LS, as it is not attractive and very much a tasteless regression. I trust the concept is much better overall and different from it. Ironically enough, the headlights are only tolerable design cues from that rendering.

These renderings were shown in 2011 of the 2014 IS, but one can see how close that even was at least with sedan.. Bear in mind, that the exterior design for the 3IS was established by the end of 2010. As we see, these others (except wagon) were shown to be different in reality than assumed by the artists.
I think the LS renderings were done by someone who had not seen the car, but had its design features described to him by someone who had. Therefore I suspect its a good indicator on the graphic design (though the grill may be an artist interpretation of the spindle), but things like proportions and surfacing are complete guesses.

This will be confirmed when we see the concept, and if its body lines are similar in design to these renderings.
Old 10-24-15, 02:19 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough cmk1, but I was right about GS and RX being eerily accurate. That new render posted looks very interesting. The spindle grille is looking best on the bigger, bolder cars such as the new GS and LX. That looks pretty stately and more on the Cadillac/Lincoln side. I don't think that butt fits into a Lexus. It's kind of more old Infinite M ish.

Outside of looks, what can we expect on the technology side? I'm looking forward to seeing how this will be "progressive" and what sort of new, world first technology Lexus will have for their flagship. I hope they will be able to integrate transparent OLEDs into the LS somehow.
Old 10-24-15, 08:58 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Outside of looks, what can we expect on the technology side? I'm looking forward to seeing how this will be "progressive" and what sort of new, world first technology Lexus will have for their flagship. I hope they will be able to integrate transparent OLEDs into the LS somehow.
Indeed. With latest generations of the S-class and the 7-series claiming so many world's firsts in technologies, I really wish Lexus can wow us again with tons of world's firsts too just like it did back in 2000 and 2006.
Old 10-24-15, 11:37 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rumors say new LS will be widest Toyota/Lexus vehicle ever... since Japanese usually have narrow vehicles due to narrow streets, LS was always narrower than competition which was a negative point always raised in Europe.
Where did you see these rumors?
Old 10-24-15, 12:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Damn, I like

LS needs more road presence.
Old 10-24-15, 12:51 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I just hope that Lexus won't use the same 10 year old V8. This car needs to debut with everything new.
Old 10-24-15, 01:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I just hope that Lexus won't use the same 10 year old V8. This car needs to debut with everything new.
it will certainly use variation of new UR engine first used in RC-F. If you consider that 10 year old engine, so they will use 10 year old engine most certainly... it will be 11 years old by then I guess.
Old 10-24-15, 05:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

it will certainly use variation of new UR engine first used in RC-F. If you consider that 10 year old engine, so they will use 10 year old engine most certainly... it will be 11 years old by then I guess.

The lump -- the non-moving engine block itself -- will be the same but the moving parts, especially the valvetrain will be new, for example, on-demand Atkinson Cycle for higher efficiency.

Toyota builds the only engines in the world that use a combination of Atkinson Cycle for high efficiency at low loads and Otto Cycle for power at high loads.

The mistake is keeping the UR engine family name, leading everyone to think that it is an 11-year old engine when it is only a 1- or 2-year old engine.
Old 10-24-15, 07:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The lump -- the non-moving engine block itself -- will be the same but the moving parts, especially the valvetrain will be new, for example, on-demand Atkinson Cycle for higher efficiency.

Toyota builds the only engines in the world that use a combination of Atkinson Cycle for high efficiency at low loads and Otto Cycle for power at high loads.

The mistake is keeping the UR engine family name, leading everyone to think that it is an 11-year old engine when it is only a 1- or 2-year old engine.
mistake is in people who think it is the same, not in Toyota. It is probably the most advanced NA V8 engine in the world, bar some exotic engines but even they dont have all the tech that fits latest UR engine.

Rumors in the mag above also mention V6 hybrid with over 400hp... thats likely to be turbo engine though since there is no way to extract that power from just having hybrid powertrain added.
Old 10-24-15, 08:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

all the LS drawings are ugly
Old 10-25-15, 03:46 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

More LS news with a render...

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015...flagship-54719
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-image.jpeg  
Old 10-25-15, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Default Next Lexus LS To Arrive As 2017 Model

That's mostly just a 4RX smoothed and stretched into a sedan.
Old 10-25-15, 06:59 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
It's saying there are new technologies like LED headlights, which theyve had since 2008!!
The side windows look terrible - too Chysler 300-esque. Awful front. Please make something stately and elegant again!!
Old 10-25-15, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

more lame guesses and a horrible (guess) rendering.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)