Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 09:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think no matter how you slice it it is still 2014? if it's 1990 model, then 2015 model is 25th?

damnit paul, stop stirring things up!
Old 08-12-15, 09:15 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Lexus LS flagship sedan has been with us since the 2007 model year. It was given a major update for 2013 that will see the car up to the end of its life, expected to be the 2016 model year. The good news is that a new generation of the LS is planned for the 2017 model year, and according to Motor Trend it will be unlike any previous generation of the car.

While the previous LS sedans have targeted stately sedans like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Lexus insiders say the next version will target the sportier end of the segment, comprised of models like the Jaguar XJ, Porsche Panamera and perhaps even a new offering from Infiniti. This means we could be looking at a new four-door coupe for the 2017 Lexus LS.

And the new car should have the performance to back up its shapely form. The base model is expected to be powered by a version of Lexus’ new 5.0-liter V-8 debuting in the 2015 RC F. A new LS H model will also be offered, powered by a V-6-based hybrid setup, and at the top of the range should sit an LS F complete with a twin-turbocharged version of the base model’s V-8 good for 600 horses.

According to the same Motor Trend report, this three-tiered powertrain lineup will also be offered in a production version of the stunning Lexus LF-LC coupe concept, the new SC. The new SC is also expected to arrive for the 2017 model year and will share its platform with the new LS.
I think Lexus definitely has something good going for them. Theyre now up and coming with the stylish trends of the this new "sports saloon era" and are well on their way to (if they havent already) making a name for them selves in the performance department as well. A newly styled LS as a 4dr coupe i think would look very stylish and definitely be a thriller to see, but as the flagship model, it may hurt their sales. The LS is supposed to be an executive level saloon designed and aimed as a competitor to models like the 7 series and S-Class sedans. If they were to stray from that field, theyd be losing their top end flagship car.

Instead i think if they wanted to compete in that market, they should release an entirely new model, of course the more cost effective way to go would be to redesign whats already there.. but if they were to release an entirely new model saaay ohh i dont know the "RS350" or "RS460" as a sportback 4 door coupe, they would be increasing their competition to Audi, BMW, and Benz without losing or changing the "status/name/vision" people see the LS line as.

Also as far as an F model for the LS goes, i think thats a long shot. With gas prices climbing to outrageous heights and this new mentality of "go green and gas efficiency" I could see Lexus possibly just redesigning their current 4.6L setup to maybe a 4.8L with just a tad bit more power. The idea of a turbo charged 2UR 5.0L pushing a whopping 600+ horses seems excessive for the target market the LS was originally designed for. I think we'd all like to eventually see something like that in the future of Lexus's to come, but for now i think theyd want to watch and study how the sales of the GSF go. Even so, if they did decide to produce an LSF model (which would be a dream come true) the car would have little to no competition, a very limited market in other words. I mean theres the Jag XJLR and the Merc Benz S63AMG thats about it; heck BMW hasnt even attempted an M7 yet despite the 400 different models they have

For the performance i think Lexus would want to focus that department on their new debut of the LF-LC. That car seems to be the competitor to the new S Coupe, the M6, or the RS5. I could see the new SC coming base model with the 5.0L as an SC500/F-sport and option of SCF with a 600+ horse powertrain.

Lexus definitely has much excitement and passion in their bright future, and I as well as many others too, cant wait to see what the engineers and design teams come up with in the years to come. Lets keep our eyes and ears open for more updates!
Old 08-12-15, 09:21 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Well since renders are few and far in between I will periodically post my own sketches:

I think the headlights came out too Audi A8-esque which I'm not too happy with.

But basically what I'd like to see in a big lux sedan is:

- Strongly defined beltline positioned high along the doors.
- Door handles positioned high along doors
- Strong horizontal themes up front emphasizing the width of the car.

The rest can be filled in with the Lexus design language.
Great rendering! But what that looks like to me, is an Audi A6 fused with the IS250 side lines and tailights and grill. I personally am not a fan of the the swooping side lines of the new IS. And with a shape like that, the LS, at least to me, now looks like its should be placed above the ES but below the GS. Theres something about that particular body shape that just doesnt quite fit the LS status...maybe a longer wheel base with a slightly longer nose?
Old 08-12-15, 10:06 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Well since renders are few and far in between I will periodically post my own sketches:

I think the headlights came out too Audi A8-esque which I'm not too happy with.

But basically what I'd like to see in a big lux sedan is:

- Strongly defined beltline positioned high along the doors.
- Door handles positioned high along doors
- Strong horizontal themes up front emphasizing the width of the car.

The rest can be filled in with the Lexus design language.

Good skills, but not a result I like. I hate anti-wedge style, why I dislike all current Mercedes. That dropping line should never be on any Lexus, or car in general. I hope the LS will not look like that. Mercedes S Class does not look good. New 7 Series is not better, an A8 has never been good, Quattroporte is not Italian but Korean, so I really hope the new LS will be excellent.
Old 08-14-15, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think no matter how you slice it it is still 2014? if it's 1990 model, then 2015 model is 25th?

can't help math skills.
Old 08-22-15, 02:25 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
We won't have to wait much longer, it would seem.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1508_we_he...auto_show.html
I really hate some of those U.S. magazines sources as, many have them prove not very credible regarding the Lexus brand via stubborn indifference. Their recent lazy bouts of reporting, wrongly suggests the LF-LC is the SC, when it has been obvious for many months, that it will drop the prefix and hypenated concept designation of "LF" to become LC.

It is unnerving to constantly see stupid commentary outside of CL like, "LF-LC is a mouthful. Lexus and Infiniti have stupid naming schemes! Why do Jap automakers have the most pointless names?"

Back in mid-2005, it was suggested that the 4LS would be "revealed" at Tokyo '05. In reality, the LF-Sh was shown, which was tinted to 100% to obscure the interior design of the production XF40 LS. The fourth generation was unveiled 3 months later at NAIAS,

I bet that what will be shown is none other than a "concept", (a la 2013 LF-NX vs. NX) and that the LS might see a very early production unveiling in late 2016. The LX570 was unveiled 9 months before the first customer deliveries in January 2008 and so was the 4LS (January 2006 vs October 2006 USM). Production reportedly begins in May 2017, which points toward a July-August 2017 launch date.

I really hope what I am saying is not true, but it seems more likely if coming directly from Japanese media, who have been right about all future Lexus models' production dates.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Doesn't get more special than debuting the line that started it all in their home market for its 25th anniversary

I'm expecting to see a LS500 and LS500h, with the possibility of a LS350/V6 model somewhere down the line this generation.
Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. Lexus did not really do much during the 2015 model year to celebrate 25 years. I understand skipping CY2014 (only N. Amer. received LS in Sept. 1989), but 2015 should've counted for something on that front.

The LS was launched in June 1990 in the UK and mainland Europe, just as work pretty much began on the second generation for a late 1994-January 1995 global launch (design freeze by mid-1992). So June 2015 marks 25 years of Lexus overall in the Western Hemisphere.

I have a feeling that, despite Lexus Japan celebrating 10 years, they chose somehow to forgo making a display of 25 years. I wonder if this has anything to do with Nagoya command...

Regarding the V6, it will be a 3.0 twin-turbo unit powering the step-up 5LS (from TTI4 LS250t), if not also the LC down the road. That engine may never spread to any New N platform Lexus models (L10 II GS, XE30 IS, XC10 RC), as the 3IS (XE30 II) facelift will likely miss that opportunity for MY17. The modular platform 5GS will get that engine probably for the 2019 model year, due for design freeze next year.

Somehow, I believe Toyota is likely spending a fortune on the 200B and 950A programmes (if not preliminary work on an LFA successor as well), which may explain the meagre changes to the 2GR-FSE for the L10 II (GS facelift).

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Interesting. So if we have a Oct 28th Tokyo debut, I wonder when we'd see it on the market? Makes me wonder if it will be a year and be a 2017 model, I wouldn't think so.
Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing it so soon in production form. According to some Lexus senior personnel, it will be a concept like the LF-Sh, but that the 5LS may not even reach showrooms until mid-2017 as a 2018 model.

It's nice to see something after waiting 3-5 years, but a replacement REALLY needs to arrive SOON! The only luxury firm to keep a flagship for 11 years was Mercedes-Benz with the venerable W126, because of the W140 S-Class being delayed for 18 months. If my projection (hopefully not true) is accurate, the 5LS (200B programme) will be going on sale 3-4 years after final design approval.

MB did that back then and badly predicted trends. The W140 final styling was reached in late 1986, barely going on sale in mid-late 1991. One hopes Toyota made wise commitments with suppliers and affiliates. There were mistakes made in the X351 XJ programme between 2004 and 2007, in terms of choice of suppliers and interface design. That has changed thankfully with the next iteration of course...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, wouldn't the 25th anniversary of the 1989 show be 2014?
For the United States and Canada, yes, but not necessarily in Europe and other territories. The LS was launched in mid-1990 in Europe, unlike September 1989 stateside and October 1989 as the Toyota Celsior (UCF10) in JDM.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Think they meant 25 years of LS. Debuted as a 1990 model at Detroit '89
That's the thing, as would've very much up to Lexus USA to make recognition of that over the past 18+ months, but they didn't and dropped the ball. They made more noise in late 1999-early 2000 about the 10th anniversary LS400, even though the LS430 had been unveiled. Why there wasn't even at least a 25th LS and ES continues to elude me.

Not really. It is shameful how they haven't bothered to do something by now, as it has become too late to celebrate the 25th, now in entering the 2016 model year. The LS was launched in September 1989 and June 1990 respectively, yet now it is August of 2015. By this time in 1990, announcements and press information on the MY1991 LS400 and ES250 changes was coming out or being finalised.

One can't be rolling out special edition models in response to that at this point. These decisions should've been made 2 years ago to provide adequate lead time for preparation and implementation, so clearly they decided against that. The Crafted Line shouldn't have taken priority over that.

Originally Posted by DreamGS4
I think Lexus definitely has something good going for them. Theyre now up and coming with the stylish trends of the this new "sports saloon era" and are well on their way to (if they havent already) making a name for them selves in the performance department as well. A newly styled LS as a 4dr coupe i think would look very stylish and definitely be a thriller to see, but as the flagship model, it may hurt their sales. The LS is supposed to be an executive level saloon designed and aimed as a competitor to models like the 7 series and S-Class sedans. If they were to stray from that field, theyd be losing their top end flagship car.

Instead i think if they wanted to compete in that market, they should release an entirely new model, of course the more cost effective way to go would be to redesign whats already there.. but if they were to release an entirely new model saaay ohh i dont know the "RS350" or "RS460" as a sportback 4 door coupe, they would be increasing their competition to Audi, BMW, and Benz without losing or changing the "status/name/vision" people see the LS line as.

Also as far as an F model for the LS goes, i think thats a long shot. With gas prices climbing to outrageous heights and this new mentality of "go green and gas efficiency" I could see Lexus possibly just redesigning their current 4.6L setup to maybe a 4.8L with just a tad bit more power. The idea of a turbo charged 2UR 5.0L pushing a whopping 600+ horses seems excessive for the target market the LS was originally designed for. I think we'd all like to eventually see something like that in the future of Lexus's to come, but for now i think theyd want to watch and study how the sales of the GSF go. Even so, if they did decide to produce an LSF model (which would be a dream come true) the car would have little to no competition, a very limited market in other words. I mean theres the Jag XJLR and the Merc Benz S63AMG thats about it; heck BMW hasnt even attempted an M7 yet despite the 400 different models they have

For the performance i think Lexus would want to focus that department on their new debut of the LF-LC. That car seems to be the competitor to the new S Coupe, the M6, or the RS5. I could see the new SC coming base model with the 5.0L as an SC500/F-sport and option of SCF with a 600+ horse powertrain.

Lexus definitely has much excitement and passion in their bright future, and I as well as many others too, cant wait to see what the engineers and design teams come up with in the years to come. Lets keep our eyes and ears open for more updates!
The LS is very much conservative, but I expect it to be a melding of the likes of the Panamera and that of the incumbent model. If it has been done well enough, they shouldn't have any issues. Overall LS sales since the 1990 model year, reached a peak for the 2007 model year. The economic crash toppled that for MY2008 and MY2009, followed by issues in the 2011-12 period.

There is possibility that 4-door coupe is being developed and some spy photos have shown that. Whether that is the 5LS, 4-door RC variant, or a model situated between the GS-LS is the question.

By the way, the 4.6L is going to be retired, so no new Lexus models will be bearing XX460. Especially the crown jewel. If no demise at the end of J150 life cycle, the GX might change its power plant in 2017. Possibly becoming GX300t (3.0TT), GX400 (4.0L NA V6), or GX500.

I only say this, as clearly the LS500 is the replacement base V8. The LF-LC is going to be LC500 and LC500h as well. There's no point really in any of us including it in speculation and eventually confusing each other.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 08-22-15 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 11:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

great info and thoughts cmk1, thanks.
Old 08-22-15, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree, very informative read.
Old 10-05-15, 11:02 PM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

The 2000 and earlier LS's were ground breaking
Clearly an outstanding value.
Since then, not much major progress

MB has clearly surpassed the LS in terms of all around luxury car performance w/ the current S550
(drive one, you'll know in an instant)
Yes, reliability is good, but it's only a part of why someone buys a car

We know the 2017 will have more HP, but is that what is going to open people's checkbooks?
For me, it's not more HP or lower profile tires (not good for potholes)

I have a few ideas on what would make me trade in my 09, what are yours?
Also curious, any current owners contacted on what they want?
No one is more likely to buy/offer opinions on your product than a former customer...

Yes, I've heard Hydrogen. I suspect not many of us want to go back for service for the techs to learn hydrogen tech on our time.

I occasionally drive a friends 2001 LS.
8 years older and there is minimal difference

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-19-15 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 04:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I truly think Lexus will bring their A-game when it comes to the 2017 LS. They've spent a ton of development time and $$$ on it and I think it will more than hold its own in the class. Lexus knows they can't afford to mess this one up- the S-class has reset the standard and the new 7-series and next Audi A8 aren't resting on their laurels.
Old 10-06-15, 05:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

have no doubt the new LS will be a wonderful vehicle. but i don't expect it to make the german car makers freak out like the first LS.
Old 10-06-15, 08:38 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They should bring parts of the LF-A into it to be a game changer.
Old 10-06-15, 08:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS's success will depend on its technology.

The LS will succeed not by giving it a big engine (although it will need something strong to haul a car its size); but by giving it the most advanced displays, lighting, creature comforts, safety assistance, and connectivity that any automaker has to offer.

Otherwise, it's just another big car with some nice features...
Old 10-06-15, 09:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The LS's success will depend on its technology.
agree but whereas lexus was bold and WAY out in front in the early years (cd based nav in mb/bmw anyone? vs hard drive / touch-screen based lexus), now they seem conservative, mostly me too, even if some of the interior design is very nice and unique.

toyota/lexus may need to (or already has) turn to a real tech (hardware/software) powerhouse to do something bold - car makers doing stuff in house is mostly very limiting. in japan that might be sony.

in s. korea hyundai could turn to samsung for example, and in the u.s., google, microsoft, and apple and countless other smaller players are good choices.

besides the obvious s-class, bmw's new 7 series seems to be a tech powerhouse and no doubt players like tesla, audi, porsche, and others will be continuously upping their game too.

self-driving is the next big thing and i predict mercedes will be first to have it on a purchasable big luxury car.

besides that, connectivity, sensor packages, integration/coordination, and user experience are the battleground. i believe the car maker that makes a big leap in voice recognition will gain an advantage too - most systems are still pretty bad compared to siri / google now / cortana.

a big luxury car should also have 4G connectivity standard.
Old 10-06-15, 10:34 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Wishful thinking, but they need to utilize their carbon fiber loom on the LS. Either that, or basically make all exterior panels out of aluminum. Something to show some sort of engineering thought into weight savings. IT must have full LCD speedo to go along with the 12 inch nav screen. It should be at the forefront of self driving technology and the interior materials should put the current LS to shame. Make a hybrid that is actually worth buying or dont make it at all and a gas powered version that is as powerful as it is easy on fuel. I shouldn't even need to mentioned this points, but if it checks these boxes, then it will at least be a decent competitor.

Last edited by RXSF; 10-06-15 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)