Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 07-23-14, 11:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
If the GS moved into that price bracket, what would compete with the E-class and 5-series? Sounds like you're asking for a new model altogether...like a Lexus version of the Gran Coupe or CLS or A7.
Just take the LS platform and add a new bodystyle to it. How hard can it be.
Old 07-24-14, 12:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Spindle can be graceful and it can be dynamic either way there will be Luxury and F-Sport/F bodies.

There's a newer commercial out with several F's and F-Sport's including a red RC F (without it being out but piquing interest nonetheless) and it's clear Lexus is pushing the F marques hard and rightfully so. These cars are dynamic, agile, rewarding performance machines and sales indicate consumers want more. Lexus has pledged one new F or F-Sport addition a year for the next decade. Of course several other offerings including the 5LS will bow shortly. While there will be F treatment, you can bet Lexus won't let you forget it's a Luxury car. If the Lexus Takumi have any part in the 5LS's assembly this will be one of the finest Lexus's to date. Ooodles of new tech, new powertrains, new safety innovations, conveniences and features, luxuries and comforts are what we can look forward to.

NX and RC aren't even out yet and I'm already looking forward to a more premium 4RX, GS full spindle refresh, IS200t/RC200t/GS200t, FI TTV6 and TTV8 powertrains and new gen performance hybrid system, return of the SC, and of course the über 5LS
Old 07-24-14, 01:26 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The formula is not working. The customers for this model are literally dying. They will most likely do the dual trim route with a "touring model/luxury model" and a "sport" model. Customers can pick and chose. Add to this dynamic air suspensions and you can have your cake and eat it to. Don't think of it as changing the nature of the model as much as widening its scope of driving pleasure it provides
Exactly what I am hoping for. I have often read on this forum about Lexus not offering enough "flavors" for customers, and that they should try to avoid scaring off their loyal buyers with such "radical" changes. True loyal buyers will stay with the brand so long as they still receive what they always did, a reliable luxury car with first rate amenities and services. Adding trims adds potential buyers.

I am hoping for just the opposite, in fact, I hope Lexus holds nothing back. And I believe it should be their desire to attack all angles with their whole line up, especially the next LS. Call me crazy or misinformed, but why not make their boldest statement yet (minus the LFA of course)? Become the target. New SC, new LS....

Last edited by GSthe4th; 07-24-14 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 05:42 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Just take the LS platform and add a new bodystyle to it. How hard can it be.
Yeah, just 100's of millions of dollars. No brainer.
Old 07-24-14, 06:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its a little hard to tell, but those spy shots look like a full size sedan (LS5), rather than a 4 door coupe GS no?
Old 07-31-14, 12:16 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I do not believe Lexus truly intends to compete with our upcoming X360 XJ. Media made similar comments about the Avalon in 2011, yet mostly the styling aspect changed. On that note though, I have already halted my 2017 LS personal design project as a result. This "LS vs XJ" news annoyingly came right after I had gotten started on sketching and threw moi off course, in terms of concept/theme direction and became a conflict of interest professionally.

I am not sure why Lexus wants to fully go in that direction, when that is NOT their CORE customer base. I understand an LS F and indirect competition, but I question this full-on direct attack at Jaguar. The X360 is already tying up a lot of development investment for good reason and will be more upmarket.

The X351 facelift will arrive very soon in the meantime, to tide things over and keep this generation fresh. If Toyota continues with these plans against the X360, I can only say Lexus will only win on name in the sales race outside of Britain and Germany. I consider the 2017 X360 to be greatest Jaguar luxury revolution since the XJ40 of 1986, but only is being ensured to be eons more reliable than that and its incumbent predecessor in the X351.

The LS was also benchmarking dozens of Japanese-spec W222s months ago, so where does the XJ come in? Nagoya retailer customer records for the 2013-14 Jaguar XJ are of interest, to see if any were registered to Toyota personnel. If I decide to finish my personal sketching, I might just watermark and PM it to those interested.

Originally Posted by hlee12
it's gonna be a new trend. flagships will be more sporty. times are changing, i guess.

i bet bmw will do it with 7 too.
Not exactly the VFL, as this is closer to the G11, according to 3 BMW insiders and a 2012 design clinic participant I've spoken to. The VFL also previews the X7, so it was an amalgamation. BMW since following the W140 MB bulky ideals with the E65, has not made a truly sleek 7er since the 2000-01 E38. The G11 will hopefully come close.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^New front and rear bumpers, exhausts, wheels and rocker panels are enough differentiation for F models, IMO. Lexus has done a great job with the body work on the IS, NX and RC, so I am pretty confident that the LS will be a stunner in luxury or F sport trim. I imagine that the next LS will end up looking more coupe-like anyway, just because of how Lexus design is progressing. I just wouldn't want something like a Panamera which is less comfortable and usable, but something with leaner and meaner like the XJ is great in my book!
I think that is all that will happen, as it's not as if the XJ is completely alien to the current LS.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's the GS that should target the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera.

The LS should target the MB S-Class and honestly every other luxo-limo such as Bentley and Maybach...
Why would this happen, when the XJ is quite larger than the GS? Do you mean positioning the GS as a coupe instead? Interesting idea If not, the GS only concerns the XF. The XJ is not a midsize/executive saloon nor a 4-door coupe like the Panamera. It is a limousine/saloon and will remain as such.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I hope they don't take it too far. I sure don't want the LS turning into a 4 door coupe. That segment sells in tiny numbers vs what the current LS, S-class, And 7 Series sells. The new S class is selling huge, why would you abandon that traditional stately luxury style in favor of a small niche style?
Ironically, the XJ was the most stately looking, consistently for 41.5 yrs in this segment (W220 wasn't as stately). Everyone derided it for that, against the sublime (yet derivative) LS430, nightmarish E65, and lemony W220. A reason my father is an owner of three (2000.5, 2006, & 2009).

He hated the X351, so my mother eventually bought him an A8. Hasn't bought a Jaguar nor Bentley since seeing both the redesigned XJ and cartoonish Mulsanne days apart in 2009. Besides that, the XJ is not a 4-door coupe! It is a 5-seater saloon. Lexus truly should not make a similar mistake and go too radical, but just a right balance.

Originally Posted by toyemp
For a GS to compete with the XJ, it would have to grow significantly in size. As is, my XJL is 16" longer than the GS. The extra leg room in back is the whole point of a large luxury sedan.
Congrats on your 2 Jaguar products! I hope they're both treating you well. Thank you. I'm not sure why some think otherwise, but the XJ is a full-size saloon in the US and the GS is not. The XJ and LS compete, but not directly at the moment.

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Maybe its a little hard to tell, but those spy shots look like a full size sedan (LS5), rather than a 4 door coupe GS no?
I'm not sure what that is still. These are photos from late 2013, so I doubt they'll be representative of the production body design. Not even the W222 was seen as a prototype this early and that already looks to be an L10 body with an altered greenhouse and lengthened.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm sure they'll do great things with it and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

However, I do hope they stay away from the whole "four door coupe" style. It is not a design trend that I like.
I can see your point regarding the Panamera, but the X351 XJ is not a 4-door coupe. Just like the Avalon it inspired, it is a 5-seater large saloon and that will not change. The lines have been blurred a bit with the current model.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You certainly did call it. I'm excited, this car could potentially occupy the 7-series' traditional position in the market. I doubt it will be as dynamic as the Panamera, but that isn't a bad thing. Jaguar will really need to step it up (and so will the Quattroporte).

This is all very interesting as Mercedes seems to have planted itself even more firmly on the luxury side of things, even with the S-class AMG models.
As in what? Things are going well on that end (X360) anyway, as it is really Lexus that needs to stay committed to anything new(ly proposed) that sets its next LS apart from competitors and not compromising based on cost/conservatism. Seeing how they continue to omit/not offer features and options at launch from key markets (see NX, GS), one hopes it wouldn't happen on the LS level too.
Old 07-31-14, 12:55 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I believe spy shots of the new S Class were spotted as early as May of 2011.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ystyles-report

And February of 2013 for the upcoming 7-Series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/2...rst-time-ever/

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-31-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-31-14, 02:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. People took my response out of context.

I was talking about shape, not size.
Old 07-31-14, 04:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
As in what? Things are going well on that end (X360) anyway, as it is really Lexus that needs to stay committed to anything new(ly proposed) that sets its next LS apart from competitors and not compromising based on cost/conservatism. Seeing how they continue to omit/not offer features and options at launch from key markets (see NX, GS), one hopes it wouldn't happen on the LS level too.
I knew that line would get your attention. As a Jaguar owner myself (F-type), I bear no ill will to the brand. I just pray the next XJ debuts with a telematics system that can hold its own against competitors. They constantly outclass JLR in that area. Honestly the nav system in my car is trash and it takes too long to move through infotainment system itself with all of its submenus. I know they're constantly making efforts to upgrade the electrical architecture in these vehicles (I noticed the 2015 RR got upgraded internal computer equipment) but I can't help but think they're always catching up.

I also hope for AWD to be spread across more drivetrains and for the suspension to have more bandwidth. I understand the XJR is supposed to be the dynamic virtuoso of its class but it honestly does not need to ride that hard.
Old 07-31-14, 08:00 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmk1
Congrats on your 2 Jaguar products! I hope they're both treating you well. Thank you. I'm not sure why some think otherwise, but the XJ is a full-size saloon in the US and the GS is not. The XJ and LS compete, but not directly at the moment.
As someone who has grown up as part of the Toyota family (father worked for Toyota for 35 yrs and I was there for 12 yrs before I left), Toyota products will always have a place in my heart. However, in the $100k+ price range that I have been shopping in as of late, the Lexus line just doesn't excite me. Not that the current Jaguar products are perfect (technology features are still significantly behind other comparable products IMO) I'm willing to overlook that because of the emotional connection that I have with the styling/design. Power is nice also, but still room for improvement (for sheer HP potential, I still prefer AMG products) but I like where Jaguar has been going and will probably stick with the brand in the foreseeable future. I admit I am tempted by the new S-class coupe though :-)

Last edited by toyemp; 07-31-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-01-14, 08:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

With the new "report", could be wrong, but it kinda makes me think those spy photos are of the next gen LS.
Old 08-01-14, 10:22 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus LS Targeting Porsche Panamera, LS F Hero Planned: Report

Lexus is planning to give its LS badge a kick in the pants for the next generation, if talk of a more sporting and powerful limo is to be believed.

According to American magazine Motor Trend, the LS, traditionally aimed at the likes of the S-Class, will turn its sights on models like the Porsche Panamera.

That suggests the next LS will get a sleek and more coupe-like profile, meaning that models like the Jaguar XJ will also be on its radar.

The S-Class won’t be completely dropped from the big Lexus’ kill list however, with the new Merc already sleek-looking in its own right.

And, with powerful S 63 and S 65 AMG options to choose from, Mercedes buyers will need more than fast looks to become Lexus conquest sales.

Lexus may have just the thing for that, though, with the report adding that the Japanese luxury brand is planning not only a GS F hero but also a flagship LS F performer.

Both top-shelf Lexus models will likely get the same 5.0 litre V8 that will drive the new RC F coupe, although the report claims the LS F will tack on a pair of turbochargers for a boost to around 450kW - true S 63 AMG rivalling power.

And if Lexus needs inspiration for its new F model, it could look to the TS-650 Concept developed by Toyota Motorsport GmbH in 2012.

A highly modified version of the current LS, the TS-650 is powered by a 478kW/710Nm twin-turbo version of the IS F's existing 5.0 litre V8.

That ought to do the job.

Still, the current LS is expected to soldier on a little longer, with the all-new model not due until sometime in 2016.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/594...planned-report

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 08-01-14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-01-14, 10:58 AM
LexFather

LS F .......

Toldya.....but what do I know

Old 08-01-14, 11:13 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

After doing a better search, it appears that we already have two threads for LS5. Sorry for making a new thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-for-last.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...test-mule.html
Old 08-01-14, 01:04 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can hear them, the competition, trebling in their boots! Now that everyone( AMG,M,S,F,R) will be evenly equipped, get ready for a heavyweight saloon showdown in 2017.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)