Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 07-23-14, 08:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

The current Lexus LS flagship sedan has been with us since the 2007 model year. It was given a major update for 2013 that will see the car up to the end of its life, expected to be the 2016 model year. The good news is that a new generation of the LS is planned for the 2017 model year, and according to Motor Trend it will be unlike any previous generation of the car.

While the previous LS sedans have targeted stately sedans like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Lexus insiders say the next version will target the sportier end of the segment, comprised of models like the Jaguar XJ, Porsche Panamera and perhaps even a new offering from Infiniti. This means we could be looking at a new four-door coupe for the 2017 Lexus LS.

And the new car should have the performance to back up its shapely form. The base model is expected to be powered by a version of Lexus’ new 5.0-liter V-8 debuting in the 2015 RC F. A new LS H model will also be offered, powered by a V-6-based hybrid setup, and at the top of the range should sit an LS F complete with a twin-turbocharged version of the base model’s V-8 good for 600 horses.

According to the same Motor Trend report, this three-tiered powertrain lineup will also be offered in a production version of the stunning Lexus LF-LC coupe concept, the new SC. The new SC is also expected to arrive for the 2017 model year and will share its platform with the new LS.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...anamera-report

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-31-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Verifying what I stated lol..

LS F... Oh goodie....

Old 07-23-14, 08:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see a thread for LS5, so I just made one. Hope this isn't a repost.
Old 07-23-14, 08:33 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds very enticing..
Old 07-23-14, 09:10 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

it's gonna be a new trend. flagships will be more sporty. times are changing, i guess.

i bet bmw will do it with 7 too.
Old 07-23-14, 09:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I like this news as an enthusiast, it concerns me. Lexus has a very dedicated core group of buyers who have come to expect the "LS formula" from this car, and they've been very successful with it. Changing it significantly could backfire, all depending on execution.

I like the idea of there being an F-Sport version of a luxury car (LS), but am unsure of a luxury version of a sporty car, so to speak. I do have faith in Lexus ability to execute here, and a more dramatic, sportier LS is very enticing.
Old 07-23-14, 09:29 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As much as I like this news as an enthusiast, it concerns me. Lexus has a very dedicated core group of buyers who have come to expect the "LS formula" from this car, and they've been very successful with it. Changing it significantly could backfire, all depending on execution.

I like the idea of there being an F-Sport version of a luxury car (LS), but am unsure of a luxury version of a sporty car, so to speak. I do have faith in Lexus ability to execute here, and a more dramatic, sportier LS is very enticing.
+1 the LS needs to be more of an S class competitor, have an LS based car to compete with the Panamera/CLS/A7 but please keep the LS as a strict luxury car.
Old 07-23-14, 09:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree, I think it would work well if they differentiated the LS-F / LS F-sport with the new sporty handling but left the base LS as a comfy cruiser.
Old 07-23-14, 09:31 AM
LexFather

i simply interpret it as the LS will have more dynamic styling. I don't seem the foolishly completely alienating a long time happy core audience. Their strategy is working
LS
F-sport
hybrid

and some
F

Considering how many variants we have of the LS now, it looks like we will have more. If anything the report is likely talking about the LS F, which is surely what a reporter/editor etc would be asking about.

Old 07-23-14, 09:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm sure they'll do great things with it and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

However, I do hope they stay away from the whole "four door coupe" style. It is not a design trend that I like.
Old 07-23-14, 09:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^New front and rear bumpers, exhausts, wheels and rocker panels are enough differentiation for F models, IMO. Lexus has done a great job with the body work on the IS, NX and RC, so I am pretty confident that the LS will be a stunner in luxury or F sport trim. I imagine that the next LS will end up looking more coupe-like anyway, just because of how Lexus design is progressing. I just wouldn't want something like a Panamera which is less comfortable and usable, but something with leaner and meaner like the XJ is great in my book!
Old 07-23-14, 09:40 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus is struggling with do we take the LS into a 4 door coupe type profile, vs the "LS formula" as MPLexus put it.

Ideally, and like every other auto maker, they'd do both, but Japan doesn't want to do that. So maybe a choose one that straddles the line and is not a homerun for either design case.
Old 07-23-14, 09:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Verifying what I stated lol..

LS F... Oh goodie....
You certainly did call it. I'm excited, this car could potentially occupy the 7-series' traditional position in the market. I doubt it will be as dynamic as the Panamera, but that isn't a bad thing. Jaguar will really need to step it up (and so will the Quattroporte).

This is all very interesting as Mercedes seems to have planted itself even more firmly on the luxury side of things, even with the S-class AMG models.
Old 07-23-14, 09:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next Lexus LS To Arrive As 2017 Model, Target Jaguar XJ And Porsche Panamera: Report

It's the GS that should target the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera.

The LS should target the MB S-Class and honestly every other luxo-limo such as Bentley and Maybach...
Old 07-23-14, 09:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well times are changing and Lexus should definitely have two flagship models just like they do have two entry models with IS and ES.

One would be your classic LS and the other one could be more of a Panamera-A7 competitor, named LFS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)