Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 10:38 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Wishful thinking, but they need to utilize their carbon fiber loom on the LS. Either that, or basically make all exterior panels out of aluminum. Something to show some sort of engineering thought into weight savings. IT must have full LCD speedo to go along with the 12 inch nav screen. It should be at the forefront of self driving technology and the interior materials should be the current LS to shame. Make a hybrid that is actually worth buying or dont make it at all and a gas powered version that is as powerful as it is easy on fuel. I shouldn't even need to mentioned this points, but if it checks these boxes, then it will at least be a decent competitor.
Does CF have the same sound deadening properties as steel or aluminum?
Old 10-06-15, 10:49 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Not sure, but I haven't heard otherwise. the CF doesn't need to be used on the body, but maybe bits a pieces along the frame and chassis, kind of like BMW with their carbon core
Old 10-06-15, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Rumor has it the 5LS will go after the XJ and Panamera. We've also heard the rumor of a hydrogen model as mentioned above, and we know LS500 and LS500h were patented.
Old 10-06-15, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

putting cf in the LS is going to be a hard sell. it might be cool for the weight but that's not remotely what the buyers are looking for. they don't mind a 2 ton vehicle, they want what it has to offer. phil said it right, features and electronics. both the 7 and s have demonstrated that. making it work flawlessly after 6 years is important too, that's what differentiate lexus from bmw / mb. and yes, power is a problem, no matter how you slice it the current v8 setup in the LS is not as attractive

i will say though, lexus decided to prolong the current platform for another 3-4 years (2013-2016), it was a gamble but i think that's for a very good reason too. they have had plenty of time to see how high mb has set the bar
Old 10-06-15, 03:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current gen is the longest running LS, and it gives Lexus so much time to perfect what they can do for the next. I always love LS, and hope the next one won't disappoint.
Old 10-06-15, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

self-driving is the next big thing and i predict mercedes will be first to have it on a purchasable big luxury car.

besides that, connectivity, sensor packages, integration/coordination, and user experience are the battleground. i believe the car maker that makes a big leap in voice recognition will gain an advantage too - most systems are still pretty bad compared to siri / google now / cortana.

a big luxury car should also have 4G connectivity standard.
germans are currently behind when it comes to automated driving tech though... the fact you dont know what shows how important it is :-).

Currently Volvo, Subaru and Toyota/Lexus have the best auto-brake systems, and all germans are currently behind one generation.

For next LS, they need to create good looking vehicle, that has extravagant interior. Thats the most basic thing that has to happen. I dont doubt that tech will be up to par, as well as hybrid model. New LS should also show us new platform for luxury RWD from Lexus.

But it has to be luxurious, extravagant looking both inside and out, thats the main requirement.
Old 10-06-15, 04:11 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
I don't think of steel or aluminum as being sound deadening at all? Relatively, I would guess since CF is stiffer it might be more resonant.

Last edited by gengar; 10-06-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 04:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
germans are currently behind when it comes to automated driving tech though... the fact you dont know what shows how important it is :-).

Currently Volvo, Subaru and Toyota/Lexus have the best auto-brake systems, and all germans are currently behind one generation.

For next LS, they need to create good looking vehicle, that has extravagant interior. Thats the most basic thing that has to happen. I dont doubt that tech will be up to par, as well as hybrid model. New LS should also show us new platform for luxury RWD from Lexus.

But it has to be luxurious, extravagant looking both inside and out, thats the main requirement.
I'd say look at this video before you claim Mercedes is lagging in self driving

http://youtu.be/VDwMhSobaOg
Old 10-06-15, 05:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I'd say look at this video before you claim Mercedes is lagging in self driving

http://youtu.be/VDwMhSobaOg
thats pretty silly... it is prototype that cant be bought... In the mean time, you can buy 2nd tier auto-brake systems from MB for $3000 that cant compete with Toyota's $500-$650 system.

No amount of PR videos can change that.
Old 10-06-15, 05:14 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

thats pretty silly... it is prototype that cant be bought... In the mean time, you can buy 2nd tier auto-brake systems from MB for $3000 that cant compete with Toyota's $500-$650 system.

Silly? A car that can recognize pedestrians, slow down, brake , steer away is silly?

Check this long distance self driving
http://youtu.be/CKqJccK_EkM
Old 10-06-15, 05:15 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really want to see Lexus double down on hybrid technology. Bigger battery capacity & more powerful electric motors to give the range topping LS h the power of an S63 (550+hp) with 40mpg fuel economy. Lexus can't continue to make hybrids with:

- marginally more power (386hp LS460 vs 438hp LS600h)
- slightly better fuel economy (18mpg LS460 AWD vs 20mpg LS600h L AWD)
- a huge premium over non-hybrid option (current LS600h base price is 40k+ more than the equivalent non-hybrid model)

The current LS600h and it's pricing ($120k base price) makes ZERO sense in a world where you can get a top of the line Tesla P85D with 760hp and 98empg (300+ miles range) for $105k.

Maybe I'll share my thoughts on what the rest of the LS range should look like later.

Last edited by blacksun; 10-06-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 05:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Silly? A car that can recognize pedestrians, slow down, brake , steer away is silly?

Check this long distance self driving
http://youtu.be/CKqJccK_EkM
I have had many a long discussion with Spywolf regarding accident avoidance between MB and Lexus. It is best to just let this one go. The three of us dont have enough energy
Old 10-06-15, 06:07 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I have had many a long discussion with Spywolf regarding accident avoidance between MB and Lexus. It is best to just let this one go. The three of us dont have enough energy
Aye aye captain
Old 10-06-15, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't care so much for engines or any of the fancy automated drive technologies. These automated technologies are a useless gimmick, and even the current LS engine is more than adequate.

I'd love to see them implement either air or magnetic suspension with all the modern trickery, and make the unibody a lot more rigid to make it ride with more authority and confidence at high speeds.

But most of all, I wish they would get rid of their convoluted remote touch interface and just swallow their pride and copy iDrive already.
Old 10-06-15, 08:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I literally can't believe you're still saying this after you got comprehensively schooled in a different thread.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)