Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 02-25-17, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sure. My 03 ES is still in the family at over 190,000 miles, I put 157,000 of those on. The 98 LS400 had 170,000 miles. LS430 had 100,000 miles.
Yeah.....I forgot you had said your aunt still owned the old ES. Josh, of course, just picked up one from the same vintage.
Old 02-25-17, 07:11 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not worried about the TTV6 reliability. The other brands have been using these for years. Do you know of any problems specific to the turbos in the competition? Also, aren't most turbocharged engines lower compression ratios? My current 2 engines are diesel turbo V6 and a V8 twin turbo. The V8 is about 500hp but is super smooth with a very low idle speed. Toyota has a fine history with turbos.
Old 02-25-17, 07:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You still have all five of them? That must take up a lot of your time, attention, and finances looking after them. Even if they are reliable and not breaking down, you still have licensing/registration, insurance, oil changes, safety-inspections, emissions-tests (if applicable), property taxes (if applicable), etc...... that's a lot of service-appointments and paperwork.
I pass my old Lexiis onto other family members like parents and siblings etc.
Old 02-25-17, 09:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I pass my old Lexiis onto other family members like parents and siblings etc.
So you don't "own" five. That is what you said. You pass them down.
Old 02-25-17, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e325rkh
I am not worried about the TTV6 reliability. The other brands have been using these for years. Do you know of any problems specific to the turbos in the competition? Also, aren't most turbocharged engines lower compression ratios? My current 2 engines are diesel turbo V6 and a V8 twin turbo. The V8 is about 500hp but is super smooth with a very low idle speed. Toyota has a fine history with turbos.
Well said. Toyota has been doing diesel turbos for a long while. They will make this engine reliable.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-25-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 11:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So you don't "own" five. That is what you said. You pass them down.
I still own them because they're still under my name.
I service all of them; difficult jobs we out-source.
Me and my missus washes them, because parents too lazy to wash cars.
Old 02-26-17, 06:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

MODERATOR EDIT: lexsctjill exit this thread. This sort of badgering other members isn't productive and simply serves to create ongoing animosity

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-26-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-26-17, 07:18 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what everyone is saying about the Apple and android car play, but what i think lexus is doing is a very smart thing with their enform app. I think as they update that system they would enable more features using the app and i wont be surprised if very soon they allow you to mirror your phone with the car system. and based on the handwriting recognition in the new ls touch pad design i can see this is possible. Honestly I have not used the Apple or Android car play but i think lexus is upto something with the app and system they introduce especially with the handwriting recognition in the LS500.

Now if an apple carplay can perform up to this standard then am interested otherwise i will take this update over any apple or android car play.

Old 02-26-17, 08:27 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

The Audis and BMWs (and now MB) have the handwriting recognition. To me, it does not add much to the experience. It is also why the phone mirroring would be helpful. For folks keeping their cars 5+ years, the tech may be very far behind, however, that one aspect would be fine as the phones could be updated regularly.
Old 02-26-17, 08:30 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Originally Posted by e325rkh
The Audis and BMWs (and now MB) have the handwriting recognition. To me, it does not add much to the experience. It is also why the phone mirroring would be helpful. For folks keeping their cars 5+ years, the tech may be very far behind, however, that one aspect would be fine as the phones could be updated regularly.
I said screen mirroring, however, that may not be enough. Android Auto or CarPlay evolutions, or something like that, where you can control through the car and have 2 way communication would be best.
Old 02-26-17, 11:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Let's see what Porsche can do now, 18 Mercedes-Nenz S 560 is out very soon.
Panamera

Infotainment System
Can you imagine what a security nightmare is the Porsche system? Hackers could literally take over your car and shut the owner out of his own vehicle.
Old 02-26-17, 11:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Can you imagine what a security nightmare is the Porsche system? Hackers could literally take over your car and shut the owner out of his own vehicle.
Is this based on a hunch, or deep knowledge from working with the current backbone in design and deployment?
Old 02-26-17, 12:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
I agree with what everyone is saying about the Apple and android car play, but what i think lexus is doing is a very smart thing with their enform app. I think as they update that system they would enable more features using the app and i wont be surprised if very soon they allow you to mirror your phone with the car system. and based on the handwriting recognition in the new ls touch pad design i can see this is possible. Honestly I have not used the Apple or Android car play but i think lexus is upto something with the app and system they introduce especially with the handwriting recognition in the LS500.

Now if an apple carplay can perform up to this standard then am interested otherwise i will take this update over any apple or android car play.
First off, Huge LOL at the Note 7 used by beats sonic. Optics is key when demoing a product, and we all know the optics people see with a product associated with the Note 7

Anyways, secondly i love figuring out solutions to add features to my cars. Yes, they may not be clean, or "OE" but at least I can say 1) I figured out something 2) I have said feature I wanted. However lets put this as gentle as possible, Luxury cars at the time of sale dont have too many folks looking for tinkering. The Beatsonic solution is a solution to the tinkers, but out of the box, its a pretty bad solution. 1) The device will not relinquish control to Lexus Nav controller, so as a customer you would need to either hold your phone, switch through everything while driving, or mount the device close to you but in line of sight so you can touch input the device while looking at the nav system. Dangerous for the most part.

Right now, as it stands and without use and knowledge of how the LS or LC's infotainment is, Lexus is basically dead last in the infotainment system setup in the luxury atmosphere. Navigation needs better maps, better voice control (this one is not really of utmost concern since only recently have 1 or 2 companies been able to offer a better product), better smartphone control, wifi integration with a faster OTA modem, better UI, better unification of what is the best controller going forward (none of the RC gets a touch panel, and RX gets a clicker).

. I however highly commend Lexus's ongoing dispute with Apple and Google with integration of their popular overlays since their justification is with the handling of user data and privacy. However as with everything we, at least me as the consumer doesnt know whether this is because with the current participation agreements, does the data Google and Apple Collect during a trip become the sole property of those two companies leaving Lexus high and dry and having to pay for such as data, or is Lexus the golden privacy knight who believe their customer data belongs soley to their customers and its their responsibility to protect us from the data miners ???
Old 02-26-17, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Bringing it back to pricing. I was helping a friend negotiate a deal on a new Range Rover Sport. On a whim since I was in the mode and had all my calculators up, I got a price quote on a new BMW 740. MSRP $95,845, which is pretty much what I would want in a 740. Executive package which gets you thenappa leather, multi contour seats, leather dash and doors, Driver Assistance Plus I & II which gets you adaptive cruise, semi-autonomous driving, etc. Opening offer is $13k off, with no effort at all, I'm sure $15k off would be achievable with some back and forth. So that takes us down to $82k.

Got the lease terms and computed a lease, with taxes & tags out of pocket, $1,067/mo which is damn good for a $95k 7 Series. Thats $117 more than my $80k MSRP LS460.

So like I said, they need to be conservative on price...like I said, this was with no negotiating effort at all.
Old 02-26-17, 03:03 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Bringing it back to pricing. I was helping a friend negotiate a deal on a new Range Rover Sport. On a whim since I was in the mode and had all my calculators up, I got a price quote on a new BMW 740. MSRP $95,845, which is pretty much what I would want in a 740. Executive package which gets you thenappa leather, multi contour seats, leather dash and doors, Driver Assistance Plus I & II which gets you adaptive cruise, semi-autonomous driving, etc. Opening offer is $13k off, with no effort at all, I'm sure $15k off would be achievable with some back and forth. So that takes us down to $82k.

Got the lease terms and computed a lease, with taxes & tags out of pocket, $1,067/mo which is damn good for a $95k 7 Series. Thats $117 more than my $80k MSRP LS460.

So like I said, they need to be conservative on price...like I said, this was with no negotiating effort at all.
Good information. I recall in 2014 when I was getting my GS, Lexus had seriously inflated residuals and a very low money factor (this was a 27 month) in order to move units. That is what BMW does (not to that extreme), if Lexus does that, it would help the lease amounts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)