Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:39 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yardie876
Enform offers this for free right now. I can't tell you the last time I attempted to input an address with the car's interface. Still a bit clunky, but worlds better finding the address on your phone.
Most systems offer this, most don't like the extra step. The best system I've used by far is the one in the Audi. It is intuitive and has the Google satellite live overlays. They've had that since 2012. I assume other car makes (especially ones with Android Auto) can now do that?

Most all car tech seems behind the times. The bar is so low, as long as it is not laggy, it will be fine for me.
Old 02-25-17, 06:42 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
infotainment system being outdated wouldn't automatically means bad sales right? what is the logic behind that? there are still a lot of other good things about lexus cars

but comparing the infotainment on lexus vs bmw. vs audi vs mercedes, i would say each has their goods and bads. decade ago lexus was clearly in front but now imho lexus is clearly not in front. a lot of times they are trying to catch up on certain areas still. i really hope lexus can take charge on this area again
I don't think Lexus was ever at the forefront of technology or innovation. That was never their model and I don't think that is what moved people to purchase Lexus. The tech just needs to work and stay working.

Any idea of updated age demographics for the LS?
Old 02-25-17, 02:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by e325rkh
I don't think Lexus was ever at the forefront of technology or innovation. That was never their model and I don't think that is what moved people to purchase Lexus. The tech just needs to work and stay working.

Any idea of updated age demographics for the LS?
Lexus was first to market with an automatic reverse parking feature. Lexus was the first luxury brand to offer a hybrid vehicle.
Old 02-25-17, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Those are two examples, overall I have to agree with him. Every Lexus I've ever had was lacking technology I could get elsewhere at the price point
Old 02-25-17, 02:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Lexus was first to market with an automatic reverse parking feature. Lexus was the first luxury brand to offer a hybrid vehicle.
Apparently that self reversing feature has been phased out now, because it didn't work too well, is that right?

Meanwhile, hybrids have evolved into hybrids with larger capacity battery packs with bigger electric motors for feistier acceleration, and much longer battery powered range PHEV's, thus bridging the gap to full blown electric vehicles.
Old 02-25-17, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Those are two examples, overall I have to agree with him. Every Lexus I've ever had was lacking technology I could get elsewhere at the price point
Lexus, however, seems to put more time, money, and attention into quality control and careful assembly than other luxury automakers. One cannot expect an auto company to spend limitless amounts of money on everything. Where it excels in one area, it may sometimes have to skimp in others. Look at Mercedes and BMW, for example. For years, they were the opposite......loads of technology and advanced electronics, but a high level of unreliability and electrical gremlins. Now, they are finally getting their QC gremlins under control. Lincoln is another luxury car manufacturer that, IMO, could use some more QC at their plants.
Old 02-25-17, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, very high quality well made cars, never on the cutting edge. Clearly that's a setup that has worked for me, I've bought 6 of them.
Old 02-25-17, 05:04 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While I might say I would consider this if it were priced right, even if it is priced right, the only thing that does give me pause is that engine.

While I have no doubts that Lexus does indeed put a lot of effort into quality, there's no recent history of these engines and long-term quality.

It's not like a new NA engine, this is different imo.

Unfortunatelty only time will tell if Lexus can bullet-proof these pressurized engines as much as their NA engines. While this impact may not really matter to new buyers, unless they plan on holding onto this car for a long time. The secondary effects could be bad on the used car market a decade from now if they aren't reliable.
Old 02-25-17, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
While I might say I would consider this if it were priced right, even if it is priced right, the only thing that does give me pause is that engine.

While I have no doubts that Lexus does indeed put a lot of effort into quality, there's no recent history of these engines and long-term quality.

It's not like a new NA engine, this is different imo.

Unfortunatelty only time will tell if Lexus can bullet-proof these pressurized engines as much as their NA engines. While this impact may not really matter to new buyers, unless they plan on holding onto this car for a long time. The secondary effects could be bad on the used car market a decade from now if they aren't reliable.
The new LS500 is going to blow away expectations. Toyota has made Turbo engines for a very long time, keep that in mind. Once the new LS500, the current 4.6 V8 will be distant memory for Lexus cars, however they may still use it in the GX and base Tundra trucks.

I
Originally Posted by Rhambler
The secondary effects could be bad on the used car market a decade from now if they aren't reliable.
Why on Earth are worried about this? Come on' seriously? Now you are just posting negatively for the sake of posting negatively.
Old 02-25-17, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really think that your concerns about reliability on these engines is way overblown. You talk as if this sort of engine is some new cutting edge design, it's not, been around a long time...
Old 02-25-17, 05:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh absolutely.

These aren't new, but there isn't much in regards to recent history from Toyota to benchmark against. They could ultimately prove to be very reliable, but the past doesn't always predict the future and frankly this engine, at least from Toyota, doesn't even have that past, at least not yet.
Old 02-25-17, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Exactly, very high quality well made cars, never on the cutting edge. Clearly that's a setup that has worked for me, I've bought 6 of them.
Well, then the obvious question comes up...........if you've owned six of them, did you actually keep each one long enough to gauge its true long-term reliability? I tend to keep cars about 5-6 years, but I don't put a huge number of miles on them, as I rarely take long trips and am (now) free from everyday commuting.
Old 02-25-17, 05:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have owned five since 1996, and I still have all five doing well.
My oldest has done over 200,000 miles, and is still doing beautifully.

TMC has been making twin turbos since at least the 1980's.

Now is the era of fuel economy and environmental friendliness.
Turbos are a compromise.
However, electric motor driven compressors with exhaust driven turbos are already used in F1 Racing, and Mercedes is debuting the same on their in-line sixes later this year, and this should make the turbos much better in the next several years, to fill the gap, as it will take at least 10 years for electric vehicles to really kick in.
The other gap filler will be the big battery capacity, big electric motor PHEV.
Neither of these two technologies are coming in the 5LS, but I'm sure they will come eventually.

I think that 5LS's main issue will be styling; not engines.
You can never tell, because I never liked the 2000-07 3LS styling, yet it sold very well...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-25-17 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have owned five since 1996, and I still have all five doing well.
My oldest has done over 200,000 miles, and is still doing beautifully.
You still have all five of them? That must take up a lot of your time, attention, and finances looking after them. Even if they are reliable and not breaking down, you still have licensing/registration, insurance, oil changes, safety-inspections, emissions-tests (if applicable), property taxes (if applicable), etc...... that's a lot of service-appointments and paperwork.
Old 02-25-17, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, then the obvious question comes up...........if you've owned six of them, did you actually keep each one long enough to gauge its true long-term reliability? I tend to keep cars about 5-6 years, but I don't put a huge number of miles on them, as I rarely take long trips and am (now) free from everyday commuting.
Sure. My 03 ES is still in the family at over 190,000 miles, I put 157,000 of those on. The 98 LS400 had 170,000 miles. LS430 had 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)