Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm sure the price will get closer to the S Class but it's not going to be similarly priced yet. Bear in mind even BMW value prices the 7 Series compared to the S Class.
Old 02-20-17, 09:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The LC is a "flagship" coupe by all accounts. I think Lexus even states that or at least infers that.

But you saying it doesn't have to be priced the same due to size is no different than me saying the LS shouldn't be priced the same as the V8 S550 due to engine.

The CT6 is 204 inches I think. That's longer than the LS 460 SWB and just shy of the LS 500 and S550, but many would consider it a step down from both. I certainly do simply because of the V6 engine. But those are my standards.

In any case, in a few years, if they price this thing $90k MSRP, as a prospective brand new LS buyer, I would say that's just way too much for what it currently offers. I'm not saying the LS will languish like the RCF and GSF (or maybe it will at that price), but I think many consider those over priced. I would seriously consider something else if I'm paying that much and plan on leasing.

I chose my current car based on two factors: reliability (one) and frankly, it was a lot cheaper than a comparable German counterpart and it still had that "luxury" brand recognition, more so than Acura. I got a deep discount off the MSRP of this model, which by all accounts is already much less than the current German cars. $20-30k more in sticker is $200-300 more per month in lease payments easily. Not everyone that buys or leases this car is ultra rich. I'm certainly not or I would be driving a brand new Porsche 911 or Mclaren or Maybach (I wish).

If I'm spending that much, especially through leasing, alternatives will definitely come to mind.
Old 02-20-17, 09:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I would seriously consider something else if I'm paying that much and plan on leasingd
Fair enough, there is a Genesis G90 waiting for you that that has 5 more horses and your V8.
Old 02-20-17, 09:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The LC is a "flagship" coupe by all accounts. I think Lexus even states that or at least infers that.
For now it's the flagship coupe. I do think there will eventually be a LS500 coupe that will be priced higher.
Old 02-20-17, 10:09 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

While I'm sure the G90 is a fine car, the point I was trying to make is that the car choices at $90k become more appealing. You've already crested that near $100k benchmark, I'm saying that if I'm going to spend that much, I may as well get something else that has everything that I want. Why compromise at that price?

I personally would consider an S7 before the G90. Or, why not throw caution into the wind and just get the S550. I know dealers are discounting optioned up $110k S550 models for below $100k, which is probably going to the price of an optioned up $90k MSRP LS 500.
Old 02-20-17, 10:19 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't need to battle with price. If it is too high, the demand will be low and they will have to reprise accordingly. If the price is set high and the sales at consistently high, they will introduce higher performance/$$ versions including that V8. This is be a longer game to watch. So far, I think Lexus does well pricing at the lower tiers which correspond to their offerings.

When the price is a few dollars cheaper (I.e fully loaded Avalon vs ES), the Lexus dealership experience, warranty, etc. are worth it vs Toyota. In the high end models, what would another high end buyer get from moving to Lexus? That is why that hasn't been done, and pricing it higher won't get them there. My opinion.

Jill, can you clarify why the changes from the 460 to 500 alone make it an S class competitor? As the LS evolved from the 460 debut in 2006 to the 2013 refresh and then then 500 at the end of this year, the S class also debuted in 2006 and the gap continued to widen with refreshes, new engine choices, all new in 2014 and another refresh due soon after the LS debut.

Similarly, other than size, when did the LS become squarely an S class competitor when it was originally set as an E-class facsimile? I have this same view with the Genesis both models. They are priced at the middle luxury area and want to compete as a value to the luxobarges bases on their size and not much else.

On a separate topic, did you know you. An still get the Infiniti with the V8? Who even knew the car (M/Q70) still even existed. Talk about marketing.
Old 02-20-17, 10:21 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm sure the G90 is a fine car, the point I was trying to make is that the car choices at $90k become more appealing. You've already crested that near $100k benchmark, I'm saying that if I'm going to spend that much, I may as well get something else that has everything that I want. Why compromise at that price?

I personally would consider an S7 before the G90. Or, why not throw caution into the wind and just get the S550. I know dealers are discounting optioned up $110k S550 models for below $100k, which is probably going to the price of an optioned up $90k MSRP LS 500.
If you lease your cars, the S550/7 series is even more appealing. Was just shopping for an S6/S7 and they leased out worse than the BMW or S class. Audis don't lease well, will the LS?
Old 02-20-17, 10:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ok. Get the S550 or an S7. Obviously the LS500 is not for you.
Old 02-20-17, 10:46 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e325rkh
If you lease your cars, the S550/7 series is even more appealing. Was just shopping for an S6/S7 and they leased out worse than the BMW or S class. Audis don't lease well, will the LS?
I know. When I checked a year ago their residuals were low and while their money factors were good, the monthly lease payments were high, almost as much as an S550 that costs $15k more. This was through VAG finance and I think they set the residuals. Even with multiple security deposits, since the money factor that was offered was so low to begin with, it didn't help. It was the residual. I know the Audi loyalty programs can help, but you have to have already owned one.

But I do like that car a lot.
Old 02-20-17, 11:58 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Who knows what the prices will be like, but I can't imagine it being too much higher than the current model.
The better the all new package is, the more they can charge, but styling and V6 TT are already set backs, while wheelbase will actually increase the pricing.
Just have to wait and see, and then, if the car sells well, prices will hold or rise, while if it sells poorly, then they must give discounts like the hydrogen fuel cell Mirai.
Old 02-20-17, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree with you.

I personally would consider an S7 before the G90
I wouldn't, the S7 is just not my kind of car, way too sporty. Its also way more money than a G90. G90 is VERY similar to our LS460.
Old 02-20-17, 12:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Yes, a love for the Audi S7 or Lexus F Sport indicates that a person has niche sporty tastes, which is something different from what the mainstream market is after, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with niche tastes; just that the manufacturer may target the mainstream market first.
Democracy is about majority power.
The majority market is catered first.
Old 02-21-17, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus LS 350 Trademark Registered in Japan

I was on Lexus Enthusiast reading about the LC F Nameplate being trademarked which is big news, but I also saw that LS 350 is being trademarked in Japan.
Old 02-22-17, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

For those thinking this car can be priced towards the German V8 equivalents, here's a question: why didn't Lexus price the LC towards the same price as the S-class coupe?

The S-class coupe MSRPs north of $120k. The S550 at $97k.

If the LC is the same "flagship" in regards the LS being the same "flagship" against the S550, why is it priced $30k less than the S-class coupe?

But you saying it doesn't have to be priced the same due to size is no different than me saying the LS shouldn't be priced the same as the V8 S550 due to engine.

The CT6 is 204 inches I think. That's longer than the LS 460 SWB and just shy of the LS 500 and S550, but many would consider it a step down from both. I certainly do simply because of the V6 engine. But those are my standards.

In any case, in a few years, if they price this thing $90k MSRP, as a prospective brand new LS buyer, I would say that's just way too much for what it currently offers. I'm not saying the LS will languish like the RCF and GSF (or maybe it will at that price), but I think many consider those over priced. I would seriously consider something else if I'm paying that much and plan on leasing.

I chose my current car based on two factors: reliability (one) and frankly, it was a lot cheaper than a comparable German counterpart and it still had that "luxury" brand recognition, more so than Acura. I got a deep discount off the MSRP of this model, which by all accounts is already much less than the current German cars. $20-30k more in sticker is $200-300 more per month in lease payments easily. Not everyone that buys or leases this car is ultra rich. I'm certainly not or I would be driving a brand new Porsche 911 or Mclaren or Maybach (I wish).

If I'm spending that much, especially through leasing, alternatives will definitely come to mind.
being a flagship doesn't mean they compete against each other, there is no logic behind that. as much as people want to paint it or even how lexus want to push for it, the LC just doesn't compete with the s coupe. two extremely different cars
Old 02-22-17, 10:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

LC Coupe is sporting luxury.
S Class Coupe is mostly luxury.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)