Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 07:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

'91 mr2 turbo? lol. that had a 1.6 (or maybe 1.8) single turbo i believe - and given how old it is, and how primitive the parts and software were, no doubt loads of lag.
Old 02-10-17, 07:24 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'91 mr2 turbo? lol. that had a 1.6 (or maybe 1.8) single turbo i believe - and given how old it is, and how primitive the parts and software were, no doubt loads of lag.
The second generation 3S-GTE in the MR-2 was a 200hp, 2 liter, single turbo engine. This turbo featured a twin scroll turbine.

I owned an '88 Celica All-Trac with the first gen of this engine/turbo, which was single scroll turbine. It quickly got a T3/T4 put on it along with a large intercooler. Ah, the good old days. More lag meant mo' powah.
Old 02-10-17, 07:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Aren't these both old cars and single turbo? Also, I don't think the G80 has the turbo engine yet, the G90 does.
I think the Sport G80 has the TTV6 from my understanding.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I've owned a 1991 MR2 Turbo and driven, extensively, an N54 BMW 335.

I've felt lag in both. Granted I owned the MR2 for years and got use to it and if you would have asked me during ownership, especially during the latter stages, I would have shrugged my shoulders and said lag isn't a big deal because I was use to it just as you probably are, but my next car reminded me about it.

The BMW coast lag was really perceptible to me versus dead-stop throttle. Drive the car on freeway, throttle off for more than a second then throtttle and see for yourself.
The 4cyl turbo MR-2 would be considered laggy, your feedback on the N54 is surprising since it's an inline 6 with small 46mm TD03 turbos, never drove one I know they are around 9psi stock boost and the twins come on very early. Witnessed some runs against a single turbo supra and modded 335 the 335 jumped out quickly before the 76mm turbo on supra spooled up. Most of us were surprised it jumped that much but Supra ran it again using rolling brake boost and that solved that lol.

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The second generation 3S-GTE in the MR-2 was a 200hp, 2 liter, single turbo engine. This turbo featured a twin scroll turbine.

I owned an '88 Celica All-Trac with the first gen of this engine/turbo, which was single scroll turbine. It quickly got a T3/T4 put on it along with a large intercooler. Ah, the good old days. More lag meant mo' powah.
One of my neighbors had a MR-2 with upgraded turbo that was a fun little car. More lag means it hit harder up to when going with bigger singles lol. It's worth the wait ha ha.
Old 02-10-17, 07:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The more modern twin turbo BMW had higher discernible lag to me, at least while moving versus dead stop, where the MR2 felt way more laggier.

Granted I got use to it in the Toyota versus driving the BMW periodically as a loaner when I had my 330, but it was definitely there and felt.

Especially around 3000 RPMs and throttling off. There was a half second to full second delay where it felt lethargic. Would I have gotten use to it and adjusted my driving behavior? Probably, but it was annoying as heck and I can't imagine anyone not having driven a turbo before to not notice that.
Old 02-10-17, 06:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

A lot of times, slow throttle response is confused, or used interchangeably with a peaky shaped torque curve.

Small throttle openings are very important, because at small throttle openings, the turbine takes longer to spool up, hence slower throttle response and a peakier shaped torque curve with a flat spot down low followed by a boom as the turbo kicks in.

Old 02-12-17, 10:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Neither 5LS nor G90 looks great.
Sometimes, the G90 looks more conventional and easier to swallow.
Judging by the recent RX, ES and LC etc, the 5LS could have looked much better.

Old 02-13-17, 04:53 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^ I think the 5LS looks great, better than the G90 to me especially the interior.
Old 02-13-17, 05:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I also disagree, I think the 5LS looks great on the whole, really the only design theme I don't like is the shape of the rear door windows.

As for the G90, I don't think it's unattractive, I think it's just a little plain next to the competition. Which is kind of interesting because the LS was always the one that looked plain next to the competition.

As I said before the G90 is a real natural move for LS fans.
Old 02-13-17, 09:35 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I also disagree, I think the 5LS looks great on the whole, really the only design theme I don't like is the shape of the rear door windows.

As for the G90, I don't think it's unattractive, I think it's just a little plain next to the competition. Which is kind of interesting because the LS was always the one that looked plain next to the competition.

As I said before the G90 is a real natural move for LS fans.
Upon the expiration of your Kia lease, you should lease the G90 then tell us your long term review. =)
Coming from a 2010 LS owner, I genuinely am intrigued by the G90. Time will tell how it holds up, my true test is if it drives as good with 10 miles as it does with 100k miles (my LS does for the most part).
Old 02-13-17, 02:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Im not in love with the exterior of the G90, but the interior is quite remarkable.

The LS, after seeing in person, though some may have their opinions of its aesthetics-interior and exterior, in my opinion, there isn't a car out right now in this segment that is as stunning as the LS is.

For me, there are a few visual hang-ups regarding the exterior/interior of the LS -- the area Steve pointed out as well as the (other noted/named) "guitar string' dash and the oddly placed ***** above the cluster behind the steering wheel. But other than that, the touches and finishes are very well thought out and done.

Could the 5LS have been more along the lines of what the concept looked like that has been floating around for the past year, yes. And I actually thing that Lexus will bring the LS closer to that upon its next conceptual go-around.

But as it stands, seeing it in close proximity of the 7 Series, S-Class and G90, more or less having an opportunity to see them back to back to back, all around, the 5LS wins hands down.
Old 02-13-17, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Upon the expiration of your Kia lease, you should lease the G90 then tell us your long term review. =)
Coming from a 2010 LS owner, I genuinely am intrigued by the G90. Time will tell how it holds up, my true test is if it drives as good with 10 miles as it does with 100k miles (my LS does for the most part).
I wouldn't get a G90 to replace our Kia, that would be replaced by another minivan, but a G90 would definitely be a candidate to replace my LS460 after the lease on it is up.
Old 02-13-17, 10:34 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any of you see the Super Bowl spot for the LC featuring the LS? Looks nice in that silver.
Old 02-14-17, 07:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Lexus To Reveal LS 500h Hybrid Luxury Sedan In Geneva

http://Lexus To Reveal LS 500h Hybri...edan In Geneva

We've seen the new Lexus LS in internal-combustion guise. Now Toyota's upscale brand is preparing to introduce the hybrid version of its new flagship luxury sedan.

Set to debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month is the forthcoming new Lexus LS 500h, with that lower-case aitch connoting its electrified powertrain.

Lexus has revealed little in the way of details to go with this solitary preview image. However the existing LS 500 we saw in Detroit last month packs a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 engine.

If the precedent of the similarly badged LC coupe is anything to go by, the LS hybrid could adopt a version of the same with an electric assist. That combination in the LC 500h delivers 354 horsepower, while the unboosted LC 500 packs a naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 good for 471 hp.

The global debut of the LS 500h will be joined by the European premiere of the RC F GT3 racing car, displayed under the brand's new image alongside the LC, RC, RC F, RX, and NX models.

As it stands, Lexus already offers hybrid versions of the ES and GS sedans, as well as the NX and RX crossovers, and the dedicated hybrid CT hatchback. The new LS 500h will ostensibly replace the outgoing LS 600h as Toyota's most upscale (and most expensive) hybrid.
Old 02-14-17, 10:43 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't get a G90 to replace our Kia, that would be replaced by another minivan, but a G90 would definitely be a candidate to replace my LS460 after the lease on it is up.
but does the g90 carry enough panache given the industry you work in?
Old 02-14-17, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
but does the g90 carry enough panache given the industry you work in?
Yeah, not an issue at all.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)