Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 03:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like magnetic dampers time
Old 12-08-16, 04:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Spindle haters go on and hate! This is going to be elegant and very dynamic. Air suspension?
i WILL continue to hate lol, such an ugly grill design. it has ruined many otherwise great looking Lexus models for me
Old 12-08-16, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i WILL continue to hate lol, such an ugly grill design. it has ruined many otherwise great looking Lexus models for me
Considering that Stroock639 sells cars for a living, I'd say his opinion on this issue means something.
Old 12-08-16, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Considering that Stroock639 sells cars for a living, I'd say his opinion on this issue means something.
If I sell steak knives does it make me an authority on beef?
Old 12-08-16, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If I sell steak knives does it make me an authority on beef?
It makes you an authority on steak knives.
Old 12-08-16, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It makes you an authority on steak knives.
it would be like me saying split level houses are ugly and you saying that my opinion holds more weight than somebody else's because I sell houses. Perhaps if I said "split levels are hard to sell" or something, but that's not what he said.

Styling is Subjective, no person is more qualified to tell somebody something is "ugly" than anybody else.
Old 12-08-16, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Styling is Subjective, no person is more qualified to tell somebody something is "ugly" than anybody else.
I agree it is subjective. But people whose paychecks depend on what other people will buy or not buy are usually in a position to know (or estimate) what is likely to sell and what won't. Of course, having said that, with the Lexus spindle grilles, actual sales data seems to be inconclusive so far. In general, the SUVs with the spindle grilles are selling...........and the sedans and coupes with it aren't.

Are you interested in a new LS, BTW?...........seems like the one you have isn't that old, unless you are just leasing it for a few years.
Old 12-08-16, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree it is subjective. But people whose paychecks depend on what other people will buy or not buy are usually in a position to know (or estimate) what is likely to sell and what won't. Of course, having said that, with the Lexus spindle grilles, actual sales data seems to be inconclusive so far. In general, the SUVs with the spindle grilles are selling...........and the sedans and coupes with it aren't.

Are you interested in a new LS, BTW?...........seems like the one you have isn't that old, unless you are just leasing it for a few years.
Ive been in sales for many years, and that's just not true. He has no special insight into the aesthetics of a car over somebody else. Would he have insight into how buyers might respond to a certain style? Sure. But again, that's not what he said and sales figures are out on spindle Lexus designs and they are up, not down.

My LS is a lease. My intention is to have my company buy it out for me and keep it as a company car but you never know, I still have 2.5 years left, lots can happen.

Would i I be interested in a new LS? Sure, depending on the finished product.
Old 12-08-16, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My LS is a lease. My intention is to have my company buy it out for me and keep it as a company car but you never know, I still have 2.5 years left, lots can happen.
Two and a half years, of course, will also give you plenty of time to check out the next LS and make up your own mind about it. Depending on exactly (?) when it debuts, it might also give Consumer Reports some time to establish some reliability data, although, with some 26 years of a substantially above-average reliability rating, the next LS version is not likely to substantially change from that.
Old 12-08-16, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not worried about reliability. What I'm worried about is the styling being over the top, the car being too sporty vs softly riding and luxurious, and it no longer having V8 power.

Im also worried about cost. Don't see myself spending more than $90k on a car.
Old 12-08-16, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not worried about reliability. What I'm worried about is the styling being over the top, the car being too sporty vs softly riding and luxurious, and it no longer having V8 power.
I agree at least on the first two. Too many luxury sedans today, besides looking like humpback-whales, have had ride comfort compromised by low-profile tires and performance-oriented suspensions, even in the so-called "comfort" mode on the drive-selector. As far as V8 power goes, though, twin-turbo V6s are meeting or exceeding the ratings of many V8s. Look at the TT V6s in the CT6 and Continental, for example.....both of which produce 400 HP and 400 ft-lbs. of torque. (luckily, the Continental's 400 HP engine comes only with AWD, to prevent what would probably be marked FWD torque-steer).

Im also worried about cost. Don't see myself spending more than $90k on a car.
Well then, use some of those bargaining skills you talk about.
Old 12-08-16, 09:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, I called it! Very glad to see, that Lexus (Toyota) for once, have finally confirmed the 2017 NAIAS debut I had correctly predicted 17 months ago and stuck to against Tokyo and 2016 auto show debut rumours. There was no way they would show it earlier than that because of the LC500 and LC500h and all of the media/forums really failed to pick up on that.

MAG-X never mentioned a Detroit debut themselves,.as has been incorrectly reported on many sites the past 7 months. I used them as a source regarding Job #1 date and later on, their accurate rendering.

I reported that to another Lexus site along with that MAG-X rendering and they correctly ran with it, unfortunately getting some details wrong. Seeing the LS500h, I now know a lot more to expect at least, but cannot discuss it too much for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by sorptd
Wow !
2017 is shaping to be an exciting year for Toyota / Lexus. New LC, new LS, new Camry, new power trains / transmissions not to mention roll out of host of safety tech as standard equipment in most toyota / lexus products.
An overwhelming year of too many debuts, which probably is in honour of the 80th anniversary of Toyota. Many more global debuts for Toyota in 2017, especially the Toyota brand and truck/SUV family.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 12-08-16 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 09:54 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Wow !
2017 is shaping to be an exciting year for Toyota / Lexus. New LC, new LS, new Camry, new power trains / transmissions not to mention roll out of host of safety tech as standard equipment in most toyota / lexus products.
I agree. I definitely can't wait for the LS and LC.
I'm also waiting for the FT-1.
Old 12-08-16, 09:56 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Well, I called it! Very glad to see, that Lexus (Toyota) for once, have finally confirmed the 2017 NAIAS debut I had correctly predicted 17 months ago and stuck to against Tokyo and 2016 auto show debut rumours. There was no way they would show it earlier than that because of the LC500 and LC500h and all of the media/forums really failed to pick up on that.

I reported that to another Lexus site along with that MAG-X rendering and they correctly ran with it, unfortunately getting some details wrong. Seeing the LS500h, I now know a lot more to expect at least, but cannot discuss it too much for obvious reasons.
Don't worry, we won't tell
Old 12-09-16, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

See thru image looks pretty good. What is now clear is the front end will break no new styling ground. This is a bit surprising, as early renderings and rumors said the next LS would be a big departure from the former LS. All characteristics of the the grille, headlights, and lower intakes look on par with the brand's latest offerings.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)