Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 05-23-16, 09:21 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
What a damn tease.
cmk1 has also stated that next LS has followed the usual path in design and debut of a car where they sing off on the production design and then go ahead and make the concept with exaggerated production design details. Possibly previewing the facelift like in GS case, if we are lucky.

This all means if FCV didn't do nothing for you then neither will production version. I'm starting to believe that first light blue render is close to what's gonna show up with probably a FCV roofline or few body lines.

To me its obvious as a day that they didn't have the clear direction where to go with next LS. Anyway next LS will just show how truly a special creature LC is. It should be a pace car for the company when it comes to everything. Kind of like they knew LS will not fill the flagship shoes so they went and made LC to make up for it.
Old 05-23-16, 06:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just wanted to say I got to see the next LS. The exterior didn't make the same transition as the LC (concept > production) but the interior continues the pace set forth by the LC. No further details.
Thanks for the update. I know you can't provide any further info but do you think it looked better than the concept?!
Old 05-23-16, 07:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Thanks for the update. I know you can't provide any further info but do you think it looked better than the concept?!
I certainly think it does; I don't like my large sedans screaming for attention at every angle.
Old 05-23-16, 09:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, I saw the new LS too. New in 2006 anyway
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-lincoln_ls_2006_2.jpg  
Old 05-24-16, 12:49 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The lack of LS discussion in this forum and site overall has been very disappointing, considering it is highly representative of this brand. Some of the topics being discussed in this forum, are extremely irrelevant and pure fluff by comparison.

I had a bought a copy of Mag X, which showed this rendering of what is the 2018 LS that will enter production from May 2017 at Tahara. I had posted this a few weeks ago, seeing my photo (below) being reposted across the internet.

In August 2004, Mag X provided this rendering of the 2007 LS, which I recall was frozen earlier in 2004 and the design itself approved in late 2003, just as the facelifted '04 LS430 went on sale. Look how accurate it was. The new LS design has probably been locked in since 2014.

2007 LS Mag X Rendering - August 2004

2007 LS Leaked - August 2005

2007 LS460 L January 2006 Press Release - November 2005 Photoshoot

See how identical everything was? That rendering was in 2004, over 2 years before it even went on sale! Studying old threads from 2003-2005, people did not pay attention to it and lost out in the end on early insider info.

Just wanted to say I got to see the next LS. The exterior didn't make the same transition as the LC (concept > production) but the interior continues the pace set forth by the LC. No further details.
Quite wonderful news, excellent for you. This confirms for me it is coming sooner than later. I expected this a little bit, now figuring that this December 2014 Best Car magazine rendering was made for the LF-FC, not the LS itself. I am not surprised, as I have always had the strongest conviction LF-FC is an exaggeration of the production design. Like Calty in Newport Beach, the Tokyo studios only do advanced design models. Aichi Technical Centre and Calty Ann Arbor only do production models. Even though that is true, unlike the LF-LC, the LF-FC was a further development of an existing proposal or early 5LS ideation sketches.

Originally Posted by Vladi
cmk1 has also stated that next LS has followed the usual path in design and debut of a car where they sing off on the production design and then go ahead and make the concept with exaggerated production design details. Possibly previewing the facelift like in GS case, if we are lucky.

This all means if FCV didn't do nothing for you then neither will production version. I'm starting to believe that first light blue render is close to what's gonna show up with probably a FCV roofline or few body lines.

To me its obvious as a day that they didn't have the clear direction where to go with next LS. Anyway next LS will just show how truly a special creature LC is. It should be a pace car for the company when it comes to everything. Kind of like they knew LS will not fill the flagship shoes so they went and made LC to make up for it.
You are correct regarding the development timeline, as I believe the production design was frozen in mid-2014 and prototypes were shown in the fall of 2014. The LF-FC was actually designed during late 2014, immediately after that. Here are some representative photos of the design process.

LF-FC Ideation - September 9, 2014

LF-FC Rear Ideation - December 2014

LF-FC Concept 1:1 Clay at Toyota Tokyo Design Centre - December 3, 2014

The LF-FC thus couldn't have made such a transition into the LS, as Toyota by some accounts had settled on styling for that car 2 years ago.

The problem I do have is, while people claim to have seen the car, there so many varying examples of a vehicle in development you can be shown. It is not just like seeing a car in a parking garage, that is made of metal and has a running engine.

This can vary between design proposals, full-size scale models, fibreglass master models, prototype builds, illustrations, or etc. Everyone who was privy to this car in 2014, have given muddled answers. TangoRed actually saw something tangible, that could be sat inside of. The few that had such information, claim the car was sat inside of amongst other prototypes.

There are some cars that look so real, but are nothing more than heavily detailed clay or fibreglass model in full-scale. In consumer marketing clinics, this is what is primarily on display.

My point is, knowing this to detail, gives me an idea of how far along this programme is. If people did not actually sit in a driveable prototype in 2014 and neither has TangoRed, one hopes it is not indicative of actual development progress.

The Best Car rendering from December 2014 is the LF-FC pretty much. It seems to me that an insider from Toyota's Tokyo design studios leaked the LF-FC cues to Best Car, under the impression it was 100% the production car. Best Car got many of the details wrong, yet ran with it creating this rendering. Just notice how this was published right as the LF-FC clay model was completed in early December 2014?

I highly disagree with your belief that they want the LC to take flagship shoes. If not for the LS, the LC would not exist. The GA-L went into development in 2010-11 with the 5LS in mind. The business case for LC was justified in 2012 by the closer relation to the next LS. The LS has been delayed, as a great deal of technology will be in it that surpasses the LC in some areas.

The main focus LC was not innovative technology and high luxury, which is an area the LS will focus on. Nobody has really been paying attention to this car, but numerous mules have been spotted in the United States testing for the past week. Production of the LS starts roughly 1 year from now, for third quarter 2017 launch. I would like anyone to challenge that belief.

I certainly think it does; I don't like my large sedans screaming for attention at every angle.
I understand you cannot answer anything about it, but I believe my recent rendering from Mag X is somewhat indicative of the final design and thus reverse engineered into the LF-FC in late 2014.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-24-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 01:39 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably cuz the concept didnt get the same "wow" reaction as the LC did. Totally forgot about the concept already.
Old 05-24-16, 01:55 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Probably cuz the concept didnt get the same "wow" reaction as the LC did. Totally forgot about the concept already.
No, it is not because of that. A number of people have pointed out, especially me, that the LF-FC was probably designed AFTER the 2018 LS. They already showed the 5LS internally to global Lexus heads in the summer of 2014 and to Lexus UK personnel in the fall of 2014. It has been pointed out also that the relationship between LF-LC and LC is unlike that of many Lexus models. LF-X never influenced the 3RX nor did the LF-Gh influence the 2012 GS (MY16 later echoed it).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-24-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 04:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't like this.
IMO, the front and rear views are very nice, but I don't like the side view.

However, this renderings below are gorgeous!
It has the right balance between conservatism and innovation.

Old 05-24-16, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I actually really like the LF-FC because of it's exotic proportions. If that render is closer to the real thing then all is good as well. Looks like an LS with quite the bite. Factor in a 5.0L V8 and this should be one smooth (an relatively sporty for its size) ride
Old 05-24-16, 10:40 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
The lack of LS discussion in this forum and site overall has been very disappointing, considering it is highly representative of this brand. Some of the topics being discussed in this forum, are extremely irrelevant and pure fluff by comparison.

I had a bought a copy of Mag X, which showed this rendering of what is the 2018 LS that will enter production from May 2017 at Tahara. I had posted this a few weeks ago, seeing my photo (below) being reposted across the internet.

In August 2004, Mag X provided this rendering of the 2007 LS, which I recall was frozen earlier in 2004 and the design itself approved in late 2003, just as the facelifted '04 LS430 went on sale. Look how accurate it was. The new LS design has probably been locked in since 2014.

2007 LS Mag X Rendering - August 2004

2007 LS Leaked - August 2005

2007 LS460 L January 2006 Press Release - November 2005 Photoshoot

See how identical everything was? That rendering was in 2004, over 2 years before it even went on sale! Studying old threads from 2003-2005, people did not pay attention to it and lost out in the end on early insider info.

Quite wonderful news, excellent for you. This confirms for me it is coming sooner than later. I expected this a little bit, now figuring that this December 2014 Best Car magazine rendering was made for the LF-FC, not the LS itself. I am not surprised, as I have always had the strongest conviction LF-FC is an exaggeration of the production design. Like Calty in Newport Beach, the Tokyo studios only do advanced design models. Aichi Technical Centre and Calty Ann Arbor only do production models. Even though that is true, unlike the LF-LC, the LF-FC was a further development of an existing proposal or early 5LS ideation sketches.

You are correct regarding the development timeline, as I believe the production design was frozen in mid-2014 and prototypes were shown in the fall of 2014. The LF-FC was actually designed during late 2014, immediately after that. Here are some representative photos of the design process.

LF-FC Ideation - September 9, 2014

LF-FC Rear Ideation - December 2014

LF-FC Concept 1:1 Clay at Toyota Tokyo Design Centre - December 3, 2014

The LF-FC thus couldn't have made such a transition into the LS, as Toyota by some accounts had settled on styling for that car 2 years ago.

The problem I do have is, while people claim to have seen the car, there so many varying examples of a vehicle in development you can be shown. It is not just like seeing a car in a parking garage, that is made of metal and has a running engine.

This can vary between design proposals, full-size scale models, fibreglass master models, prototype builds, illustrations, or etc. Everyone who was privy to this car in 2014, have given muddled answers. TangoRed actually saw something tangible, that could be sat inside of. The few that had such information, claim the car was sat inside of amongst other prototypes.

There are some cars that look so real, but are nothing more than heavily detailed clay or fibreglass model in full-scale. In consumer marketing clinics, this is what is primarily on display.

My point is, knowing this to detail, gives me an idea of how far along this programme is. If people did not actually sit in a driveable prototype in 2014 and neither has TangoRed, one hopes it is not indicative of actual development progress.

The Best Car rendering from December 2014 is the LF-FC pretty much. It seems to me that an insider from Toyota's Tokyo design studios leaked the LF-FC cues to Best Car, under the impression it was 100% the production car. Best Car got many of the details wrong, yet ran with it creating this rendering. Just notice how this was published right as the LF-FC clay model was completed in early December 2014?

I highly disagree with your belief that they want the LC to take flagship shoes. If not for the LS, the LC would not exist. The GA-L went into development in 2010-11 with the 5LS in mind. The business case for LC was justified in 2012 by the closer relation to the next LS. The LS has been delayed, as a great deal of technology will be in it that surpasses the LC in some areas.

The main focus LC was not innovative technology and high luxury, which is an area the LS will focus on. Nobody has really been paying attention to this car, but numerous mules have been spotted in the United States testing for the past week. Production of the LS starts roughly 1 year from now, for third quarter 2017 launch. I would like anyone to challenge that belief.

I understand you cannot answer anything about it, but I believe my recent rendering from Mag X is somewhat indicative of the final design and thus reverse engineered into the LF-FC in late 2014.
I definitely agree that it's disconcerting that there is not enough discussion about the next LS. I started this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-for-last.html) just 2 years ago when I had thought that the new LS will come out in 2015/2016. There were some discussion back then about autonomous driving and Lexus cars talking to each other. Perhaps TMC/Lexus' proposal for autonomous driving is synchronizing the driving between each car to avoid accidents. Something like the LF-FC's concept video. And perhaps the 2018 LS will have some sort of technology like that.

Lexus really needs to get it right, they've been sort of flagship-less since 2012 when the LFA ended production and the LS was already DUE for a new model. And this was 4 years ago! For a luxury brand, it's like functioning without a head. Some Lexus haters / average car enthusiast will agree that they've indeed been like a chicken with it's head chopped off. But increasing sales says otherwise! With the arrival of the LC500, it will fill in the flagship gap but they desperately need the LS as soon as possible.
Old 06-06-16, 01:46 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 2017/18 Lexus LS caught testing in Colorado

LS caught testing... lol and that 2IS headlights hahahah...

going up the Ike Gauntle..

Old 06-06-16, 02:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Covered here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-shots-6.html
Old 06-08-16, 07:53 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it is a Genesis
Old 06-08-16, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Maybe it is a Genesis
With how Hyundai copies design cues from other makes, it's possible.
Old 06-08-16, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Its clearly a Lexus lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)