Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 07-23-14, 10:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's the GS that should target the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera.

The LS should target the MB S-Class and honestly every other luxo-limo such as Bentley and Maybach...
If the GS moved into that price bracket, what would compete with the E-class and 5-series? Sounds like you're asking for a new model altogether...like a Lexus version of the Gran Coupe or CLS or A7.
Old 07-23-14, 10:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought the GS was suppose to be a Jaguar XF fighter?

Either this is LS5 or a 4 door coupe version of the GS (Porsche Panamera, Audi A7. Mercedes CLS, and BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe competitor).

Old 07-23-14, 10:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As much as I like this news as an enthusiast, it concerns me. Lexus has a very dedicated core group of buyers who have come to expect the "LS formula" from this car, and they've been very successful with it. Changing it significantly could backfire, all depending on execution.

I like the idea of there being an F-Sport version of a luxury car (LS), but am unsure of a luxury version of a sporty car, so to speak. I do have faith in Lexus ability to execute here, and a more dramatic, sportier LS is very enticing.
+1000% I am VERY concerned messing with the original formula on the car that started it all for Lexus. Acura went downhill since they scrapped the Legend (and Integra) and changed their product formula. On the flipside, Lexus is definitely doing very well with their new sport-injected DNA so with this in mind, this does put me at ease.
Old 07-23-14, 10:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I always thought the GS was suppose to be a Jaguar XF fighter?

Either this is LS5 or a 4 door coupe version of the GS (Porsche Panamera, Audi A7. Mercedes CLS, and BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe competitor).

Reminds me of the 1GS - high trunk deck, low front end.
Old 07-23-14, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i am taking this article with a grain of salt as in whether it means they are shifting direction to xj and panamera, or providing a wider range of choices among the ls line.

i think the core of ls should still target the a8, s, and 7, big part of the industry define the segment that way. cars like xj and panamera they "joined" the party but they got a different kick in one or several directions. if lexus comes out with a more dynamic and stylish ls that's closer to say the panamera, i am not sure if that's what lexus customers want. on the other hand if they continue with the 4ls and along the s / 7 line, but adding more dynamic feel, and / or having f models, i think that's a much better move

given it will be 3 years after the current s class, it's going to be very very interesting, as the s facelift will likely hit the market by then too
Old 07-23-14, 11:23 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow thats a big downgrade from being a S-class competitor...say aint so

Old 07-23-14, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Verifying what I stated lol..
2017 in 2016. How long have we been saying this

Btw, LS F and still no M7. BMW what happened
Old 07-23-14, 03:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

It's the GS that should target the Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera.

The LS should target the MB S-Class and honestly every other luxo-limo such as Bentley and Maybach...
Why cant they do both? Targetting the panam' and xj is in the 'looks and sport' area. Targetting the S is the 'luxury and amenities' area. Theres no indication the LS will be coupe like. The spy shots probably just have the added camo to disguise the shape. The GS targets the Jag XF, not the XJ.
Old 07-23-14, 04:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Why cant they do both? Targetting the panam' and xj is in the 'looks and sport' area. Targetting the S is the 'luxury and amenities' area. Theres no indication the LS will be coupe like. The spy shots probably just have the added camo to disguise the shape. The GS targets the Jag XF, not the XJ.
You're correct, but I believe what he was getting at was the GS should evolve into a 4-Door coupe style since the ES is already the same size, all the while moving everything slightly upscale including elevating the LS to S-Class and knocking on Ultra Luxury class.

Also there is a rumor that after the SC reappears (LF-LC) circa MY2017, but not before the RC (LF-CC), that a larger coupe dubbed 'LC' loosely based off the LS could be spun off. Rumormill of course

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-23-14 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 05:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they don't take it too far. I sure don't want the LS turning into a 4 door coupe. That segment sells in tiny numbers vs what the current LS, S-class, And 7 Series sells. The new S class is selling huge, why would you abandon that traditional stately luxury style in favor of a small niche style?
Old 07-23-14, 07:19 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a GS to compete with the XJ, it would have to grow significantly in size. As is, my XJL is 16" longer than the GS. The extra leg room in back is the whole point of a large luxury sedan.
Old 07-23-14, 08:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As much as I like this news as an enthusiast, it concerns me. Lexus has a very dedicated core group of buyers who have come to expect the "LS formula" from this car, and they've been very successful with it. Changing it significantly could backfire, all depending on execution.

I like the idea of there being an F-Sport version of a luxury car (LS), but am unsure of a luxury version of a sporty car, so to speak. I do have faith in Lexus ability to execute here, and a more dramatic, sportier LS is very enticing.
The formula is not working. The customers for this model are literally dying. They will most likely do the dual trim route with a "touring model/luxury model" and a "sport" model. Customers can pick and chose. Add to this dynamic air suspensions and you can have your cake and eat it to. Don't think of it as changing the nature of the model as much as widening its scope of driving pleasure it provides
Old 07-23-14, 08:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

I wonder if the S 550 has so out distanced itself from the LS that Lexus is throwing in the towel on competing with it. That's necessarily not a bad thing.

And does this mean the end of the spindle?
Old 07-23-14, 10:07 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

If the LFA and original LS400 are any indication, Lexus is more than willing to put out world-beaters. I don't think the new S has scared Lexus off into competing with it. If the rumors are true, it just might be that they are intending to take the LS down a different road. I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but I wouldn't doubt Lexus is putting their everything to make the LS as good as it can be (even if it's not a true 1:1 competitor to the S-Class anymore). An LS-F with 650HP? Yes, please. It wouldn;'t sell more than 50 a year, but it's a statement.
Old 07-23-14, 10:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Lexus would be crazy if they didn't sell the traditional LS formula in the next generation, ie big 3 box sedan with a creamy smooth ride. Stiffening the ride or doing something unconventional with the roof line that compromises space in the back seat would be suicide IMO.

Like others have said, there is a huge and very loyal fanbase for the LS, don't **** in your customer's cherreios.

Now if they want to do a whole seperate model, ala BMW Gran Coupe, Benz CLS, Audi A7, then go for it. It just damn better well be drop dead goregous if its going to sell in any number IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)