Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 12-11-14, 12:51 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I still like the original LS460 the most as it has such an understated yet powerful presence

I totally agree!
Old 12-11-14, 03:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
All I hope it that is doesn't look like that.
Me either. As an ex owner of an LS460 that looks horrible. That BS line going along the side of the car ruins the shape of the body. Looks too feminine
Old 12-28-14, 04:26 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eww that render looks awful :/
Old 12-28-14, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The lines make it look like a bloated M37 (or Q Whatever-it-is-called-now).
Old 12-30-14, 12:55 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Lexus Plans Fuel-Cell Powered LS Luxury Saloon for 2017

Since 1997, when it launched the world’s first production hybrid car, the Prius, Toyota has been all about improving its green technology as well as making it available in other models across its range.

Now the Japanese giant is moving into what everyone agrees is the next step towards emissions-free vehicles: the fuel-cell technology. At last month’s Los Angeles Auto Show, it unveiled the Mirai, the first production hydrogen-powered car that emits nothing but water.

Following Prius’ paradigm, Toyota wants to introduce fuel-cell versions of its other models and one of the prime candidates, according to Motoring, is the Lexus range-topping LS limousine.

Like the Mirai, the LS FCEV will use the Toyota Fuel Cell System (TFCS), which will be configured to work within the luxury saloon’s more conventional layout. Its power unit will consist of a 150kW fuel-cell stack and a 220kW electric motor and its range will be around 240 miles (380 km).

One source said that the “green” LS will feature a fuel-cell unit under the front seat, a hydrogen tank under the rear seat and another tank under the rear parcel shelf. Additionally, the front section of the LS will be redesigned with bigger air intakes for improved cooling.

The Lexus LS FCEV will go on sale in 2017 and will sit above the hybrid LS 600hL. Toyota also has plans for other fuel-cell models, including a full-size SUV, in the next decade.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/lex...ls-luxury.html
Old 02-22-15, 06:34 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

What is happening with this car? No trademark filings, no mules or prototypes. This is a very important project for Lexus (not to mention Toyota), so one has to wonder there is nothing to be seen nor heard on that front. The first examples of the next LS will probably start rolling off at Tahara in about 18 months or less, yet one hears less about it than they did about the current LS back in 2005. We saw mules for the NX, RC and RX, 2 years ahead of scheduled launch respectively, so I have to wonder what is going there.

"Big Toyotas" nowadays commence production development (immediately after design freeze) about 30 months ahead of Job #1, so that is one year ago now (if planned for Q3 start-up. Q4 2016 launch). This stage of development is pivotal, as they cannot move to proper prototyping and relay necessary tasks to suppliers without a frozen design.

Twelve months is more than sufficient enough time to build and test a running prototype, let alone a rough test mule. Hopefully one sees something soon, as I had believed Toyota abandoned error-laden sole virtual development and invested more in actual field testing.

On another note, besides the fuel cell offering, what engine variants do you think will be offered? I would believe an LS350 (or LS400) TTV6, LS500 (5.0L V8), LS500h are among the first to be rolled out for the 2017 model year.
Old 02-22-15, 05:00 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
What is happening with this car? No trademark filings, no mules or prototypes. This is a very important project for Lexus (not to mention Toyota), so one has to wonder there is nothing to be seen nor heard on that front. The first examples of the next LS will probably start rolling off at Tahara in about 18 months or less, yet one hears less about it than they did about the current LS back in 2005. We saw mules for the NX, RC and RX, 2 years ahead of scheduled launch respectively, so I have to wonder what is going there.

"Big Toyotas" nowadays commence production development (immediately after design freeze) about 30 months ahead of Job #1, so that is one year ago now (if planned for Q3 start-up. Q4 2016 launch). This stage of development is pivotal, as they cannot move to proper prototyping and relay necessary tasks to suppliers without a frozen design.

Twelve months is more than sufficient enough time to build and test a running prototype, let alone a rough test mule. Hopefully one sees something soon, as I had believed Toyota abandoned error-laden sole virtual development and invested more in actual field testing.

On another note, besides the fuel cell offering, what engine variants do you think will be offered? I would believe an LS350 (or LS400) TTV6, LS500 (5.0L V8), LS500h are among the first to be rolled out for the 2017 model year.
My gut tells me that they pushed the 5LS back in order to finish development of the FCEV and get that in at the beginning of the generation. If it was introduced mid-cycle, it wouldn't have as big an impact as being introduced with FCEV. Also, I think they are going all-out with the development of the 5LS, testing it in their secret tracks in Japan. They must be going for a LS400/LFA style development on this.
Old 02-23-15, 02:01 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
My gut tells me that they pushed the 5LS back in order to finish development of the FCEV and get that in at the beginning of the generation. If it was introduced mid-cycle, it wouldn't have as big an impact as being introduced with FCEV. Also, I think they are going all-out with the development of the 5LS, testing it in their secret tracks in Japan. They must be going for a LS400/LFA style development on this.
Further delayed? Hopefully not. The MY2015 updates for the 3rd iteration of the 4LS (XF40 III) should've been more significant if that transpires, as a 5-6 year run for a secondary facelift is risky on a 12-13 year run. If I recall, only MB has done that and it was with the W126. I would assume the FCEV went into development from the onset and wasn't a belated decision 2 years into development.

I agree with you on how this must be on the level of F1 for Toyota (both LS400 and LFA are essentially that), as they wouldn't have given the LS another facelift and skipped out on a timely next-gen redesign for 2014.

I have to wonder if certain cutbacks at Toyota overall (recycling of power trains, MMC vs FMC), are related to expensive Lexus developments (LC, LS, coupes). It wouldn't be too shocking to find out if 5LS development ends up costing over $2-3 billion USD (not an expert in the area of cost).

I really hope the next LS is a wonderment that everyone says it will be (lack of news pretty much), as I am pondering that as my first saloon purchase and personal Lexus. Professionally I should hope not, but personally I hope it will be superb. In fact, I primarily joined Club Lexus to discuss it (ironically enough). It is certainly odd for me to be looking at this category of vehicle (traditional age demographics), but I've always loved large luxury saloons like my father. Why the LS and not an XJ or S-Class instead?

My father (hates X351, owns X308/X350/X358) was shown last fall (by upper management) some plans for our X360 XJ-Series... He will definitely be a customer of it come 2018. Thus, I don't need an XJ. The A8 is a no-go (been there, done that), the G12 7-Series will replace my mother's F02 next year, and the W222 S-Class (love it) is easily accessible via family, friends, and for hire/renting.

The LS, is something not so common in the UK, thus it makes more sense for me to go for that in this category. If one can easily drive someone else's S-Class, 7er, or XJ, go for what isn't personally accessible. Interesting theory mordecai, as any discussion on this seems to be dead.
Old 02-23-15, 04:47 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I know the odds of happening are low, but just imagine how cool the 5LS would be if it had frameless windows.

I remember the 90s ES300s had the frameless wondows and it looked really neat.

Last edited by yowps3; 02-23-15 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 08:46 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yowps3
I know the odds of happening are low, but just imagine how cool the 5LS would be if it had frameless windows.

I remember the 90s ES300s had the frameless wondows and it looked really neat.

Well, the new Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli, which are sedans and not "4 door coupes" have frameless windows. While frameless windows are more stylish (Maserati mentioned above, Mercedes CLS, Audi Sportback, BMW GranCoupé/GT), one main disadvantage is insulation/isolation. More to that is the fact that these cars (S Class, 7 Series, A8) are also often amoured, so armouring a frameless window is not the best thing.

With regards to bullet proof cars, they can be got from Mercedes/BMW/Audi directly (OEM). What about Lexus LS? Any plans for Toyota armoured LS?
Old 02-23-15, 09:14 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I love the look of the current LS on the road and i can't wait to see what they will do with the next generation. I have only driven one LS so far and it was a very low mileage 2000 LS400. Super smooth and refined. Ride was amazing.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 02-23-15 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 01:03 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from introducing FCEV to the luxury flagship segment, I believe the LS will introduce self-driving capabilities (that the S-class has in some form, right?) and industry-first transparent OLED displays that were previewed in the interior of the LF-LC. The LS is the car I'm most curious about and Lexus secrecy has definitely helped in making it more so. I just hope we see it by the end of this year.
Old 02-23-15, 04:05 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus needs to do a really good job with the next LS, seriously! We have owned two LS. I guess you can say we are loyal Lexus fans. We tried very hard to convince ourselves to get the current LS. But we just couldn't get over its plain interior and heideous exterior. The current LS is VERY weak when compared to the S Class. It's simply not on the same level if you look at its power train, interior amenities, and it's overall design. We like the Lexus reliability and would like to get back to the Lexus family. So Lexus, please please try to make the next LS sporty and classy. A sporty design does not have to look heideous!

Btw, the sales volume of the LS has been free falling since 2013. This should be a clear warning to Lexus - the current LS is NOT working! The market does not want it! I prey to God that Lexus has done research on why it's not selling, and hopefully address those issues for the next LS.

Last edited by BrickHead; 02-23-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 12:40 PM
zema
Driver

Lexus LS500h Trademarked in Europe

Lexus has filed a trademark in Europe, hinting at a new LS model.

The Japanese automaker has trademarked the LS500h nameplate in Europe and this isn’t the first time Lexus has used the 500h designation for trademark filings. Late last year, the company trademarked LC500 and LC500h for use in Canada, U.S. and Australia, although those nameplates haven’t been used for anything yet. Going off the company’s naming convention for its hybrid models, there’s a possibility that Lexus has developed a new hybrid powertrain that pairs a 4.0-liter V6 or V8 engine with a hybrid system, earning it a 500h moniker.

SEE ALSO: Hydrogen Powered Lexus LS Rumored for 2017

Currently the GS450h is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 hybrid engine while the LS600h features a 5.0-liter V8 hybrid. It appears that Lexus adds one liter to the badge designation for the hybrid system, so the 500h would equate to a 4.0-liter powerplant. There’s also the possibility that the company retains the 3.5-liter V6 engine and pairs it to a more powerful hybrid powertrain. There’s also the unlikely possibility that Lexus is revamping its naming convention for its hybrid models to represent just the powerplant under the hood, meaning the LS600h would just become the LS500h.

The LS600h has a total system output of 438 hp and 385 lb-ft of torque while the LS460 with just a standard gasoline engine provides 389 hp and 367 lb-ft of torque, so if Lexus does move forward with an LS500h production model, expect it to land somewhere in between.
Source: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...in-europe.html
Old 05-26-15, 12:52 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Base model hybrid to give the LS a unique selling point compared to the S/7/A8/XJ, with a fuel cell or plugin hybrid version to go up against Teslas. Ballsy but I like the idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)