Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you owned the 2GS back in the day - it was the golden era of Lexus.
They were running on all cylinders so to speak and the sales #s showed it as they were #1 for several years straight.
I owned a Lexus back in the day, and drove many 2GS models. I appreciate that it was special to you, but I question how unique a car it actually was. As for sales, Lexus sells a lot more cars today than it did in 1998.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe this to be factually incorrect in many ways. the toyota supra from what 1994 on, was not a bland universally acceptable car. even the celica wasn't. the entire hybrid line-up. the cressida, and on and on... toyota does take many chances. even their mainstream cash cows like camry has changed radically over the years, for better and worse as we all chime in about.
Thats one or two models, and they have led the charge on hybrid technology, but that doesn't change the fact that in general Toyota is a very safe, slow moving carmaker. In their history they're relied on generational improvements and not earth shattering advancements to move their company forward.

How has the Camry changed radically? Here in the last couple years I agree that the styling has become somewhat radical but thats a part of this shift I'm talking about. How has a Camry changed radically between say, 1995 and 2014?

a co-worker got an ES300 when it first came out. we had to go on a business trip and he drove. i was astonished. the bright white illuminated needles on black gauges were unlike anything i'd seen. the smoothness and quiet were unlike anything i'd experienced. the audio was great (certainly given its price point), etc. it was a game changer.
I just don't agree in any shape or form that the ES was a game changer. I can understand that at that point in your life the car was very impressive to you, but when you pull back and you look at the industry as a whole I don't see how you can say that.

i believe the ml came out a year before the rx so the rx was in development long before the ml was launched. the original ml was a piece of junk made in alabama. the rx was LOVED and RAVED about and sold like crazy. i bought one and loved it. it was unlike anything i'd ever seen or driven. i believe it had the shifter setup in a way that provided some floor space between the front seats. the rear seats reclined. the quality was impeccable. the 220HP V6 at the time was considered very powerful. the exterior look was very unique. it was a game changer.
I understand that it was out a year beforehand and that the RX was in development before the ML was launched, but the ML was in development before that. Yes the RX was a very good vehicle, and most would attribute the modern luxury crossover craze to the RX, but to say it was such a far and away unique and unmatched vehicle IMHO is overstating it more than a little bit.

Like I've said, I've been around Lexus a long time, I don't think anybody would try and say that I'm not a big Lexus fan, clearly I am...but I don't see how anybody looks at Lexus as a company thats been on the cutting edge during its history, it hasn't been. Lexus cars have always been long on quality, and short on features and gizmos. If you compared a Lexus to a comparable BMW or Mercedes or even a Cadillac or Lincoln there were always more feature rich, and they still are.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-05-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't see how anybody looks at Lexus as a company thats been on the cutting edge during its history, it hasn't been.
I don't think any automaker is though. All of them have held the spotlight for a bit or shared it at times, but no one has held it for a century, or even half a century. Maybe a decade here and there of overall great products but mostly just for a few years until the envelope is pushed by someone else. It's like a teeter totter. If there's no one to play then you'll just be stagnant.
Old 10-05-16, 04:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't know why ANY prospective buyer would care at ALL what 'platform' the new LS or ANY vehicle is on. you test drive it, you like it, you find a combo of price/features you can live with and you buy or lease it. 'platform' is also an incredibly vague term too because several models typically share various same aspects for their own 'platforms'.
Well of course not, I have not seen anyone go WOO the damn SPA platform from Volvo does it for me. HOWEVER, what a platform does it set up the engineers with a slate that they can get to work. If they want a new platform can be the foundation that drives better, can be used to design a whole new interior environment, implement new ground breaking features. That combo of price/features directly relates to the platform its built on. With this generation of LS being quite old, I doubt theres much to get from the system in terms of performance or even interior directions.
Old 10-05-16, 06:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I owned a Lexus back in the day, and drove many 2GS models. I appreciate that it was special to you, but I question how unique a car it actually was. As for sales, Lexus sells a lot more cars today than it did in 1998.
For whatever reason you seem to think that your OPINION outweighs FACTS.
You also claim to be a Lexus fan and know its history but then you dismiss the importance of the 2GS like it was nothing. lol

Here are only SOME of the great achievements the 2GS garnered when it came out: (This doesn't include numerous Magazine covers, Movies, Rap videos etc it made appearances in. It helped put Lexus on the map with Enthusiasts and a younger generation that never even considered Lexus!)
- GS was the world's fastest production sedan when it came out.
- It was on Car and Driver's magazine's 10Best List from 1998 through 2000. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...300-400-page-9
- It was Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year for 1998. http://www.motortrend.com/news/1998-...r-of-the-year/

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-05-16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is it the only car that's ever been on the 10 best list? What was Motor Trends Import car of the year in 1999? How many years has the BMW 5 series or 3 series spent on the 10 best list? How many cars became the worlds fastest production sedan afterwards? How many were before?

look I'm not saying it wasn't a great car, but what is the lasting impact the 2GS has had on the industry? How has it shaped the future of the brand? What can you point to and say this exists within Lexus because of the 2GS?
Old 10-05-16, 07:22 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

What are you saying right now???

Back then - this was HUGE for Lexus, this was only their 7th/8th year as a Brand. The GS made a very big impact in the Luxury Sport Sedan segment which was owned by the Germans. There was no such thing as a Japanese sport sedan, it paved the way for the Lexus IS, Infiniti G35 / M35, Genesis etc. It was a pioneer that Japanese can make an exciting sport sedan that was BETTER in many way than Eclass and 5series. Even the bias magazine writers had to admit it.

MT's Import Car of the Year and C&Ds 10Best List - what Lexus car has won any of those since???

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-05-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 07:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

For whatever reason you seem to think that your OPINION outweighs FACTS.
You also claim to be a Lexus fan and know its history but then you dismiss the importance of the 2GS like it was nothing. lol

Here are only SOME of the great achievements the 2GS garnered when it came out: (This doesn't include numerous Magazine covers, Movies, Rap videos etc it made appearances in. It helped put Lexus on the map with Enthusiasts and a younger generation that never even considered Lexus!)
- GS was the world's fastest production sedan when it came out.
- It was on Car and Driver's magazine's 10Best List from 1998 through 2000. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...300-400-page-9
- It was Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year for 1998. http://www.motortrend.com/news/1998-...r-of-the-year/
I agree that the 2GS was special for Lexus when it came out, however Lexus is not one of the top 10 mfgs in cds top ten list, nor has it got any model that has been on for a long time.
BMW is a top 10er

BMW 3 series 22 years running
5 series 6 years running

Lexus does have good years when the rest of the map designs something out of brand persona, but to what degree it leaves a lasting impression on the industry is questionable and highly opinion based.

Ex: This generation of 5 series and GS .The 5 came out docile out of the gate. The GS had the special sauce. However sales were dismal of the GS, and still are, the 5 series still sold like hotcakes, and gathered positive reviews after a Mid cycle refresh. While the GS absolutely began the internal Lexus change to bringing sport a little bit higher then the comfy ride of lexus of old, it still hasnt done much industry wise beside.
Old 10-05-16, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So what within the segment that is lasting can you direct to the 2GS? I don't discount that it was a great car at the time, well loved and brought attention to the brand, but has it left a permanent mark on Lexus As a brand?
Old 10-05-16, 07:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

So what within the segment that is lasting can you direct to the 2GS? I don't discount that it was a great car at the time, well loved and brought attention to the brand, but has it left a permanent mark on Lexus As a brand?
Yes - because of the GS success, Lexus brought in the IS in 2000 which was never meant to be a Lexus to take on the 3series.
Lexus now had CREDIBILITY that it can deliver a Sport Sedan to rival Germans and it allowed them to expand to the entry level sport sedan segment much quicker than they even planned.
The current F line could be tracked back to the original GS400 that established Lexus Performance capabilities and also Ltuned brand which was a predecessor to Fsport. (You really need to learn your Lexus history!)

It also paved the way for Infiniti to develop the G35 coupe/sedan and M35/45 which were very popular.
Without the GS breaking that barrier - I highly doubt that Infiniti would ever make those cars.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-05-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 09:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this thread is about the new LS, everything else OT can stop now
Old 10-05-16, 09:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

MT's Import Car of the Year and C&Ds 10Best List - what Lexus car has won any of those since???
I agree, the GS300 and GS400 won a number of awards. Haven't seen Lexus place 1st in a while.

I wonder what the chances of a LS350 coming to North America are.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-05-16 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 02:46 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree, the GS300 and GS400 won a number of awards. Haven't seen Lexus place 1st in a while.

I wonder what the chances of a LS350 coming to North America are.
Would probably depend on the success of the 5LS. Would be pointless in my opinion to bring something that no one is buying.
Old 10-08-16, 11:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Would probably depend on the success of the 5LS. Would be pointless in my opinion to bring something that no one is buying.
True dat. The sedan market is not hot anymore. At least for Luxury makers the Flagship is basically their to exhibit technologies that make them the worlds first into something, or demo some tech that is currently in the RD incubator line waiting to implemented in their upcoming roll outs

In regards to a 2 prong approach to the 5th LS. The only way this would make sense is to have 2 motors that click in at 2 price points maybe $10k apart. However with everyone in Germany pushing their entry point close to 100k or above, the only way Lexus can be good is to only have a limited price increase into their 1st prong model, and the F version of the model with an insane powertrain 2nd prong.
Old 10-23-16, 03:56 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What about autonomy?
Old 10-23-16, 10:21 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There was a study that was just released about a slight shift towards comfort and large saloons.

Actually, here it is: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...car-sales-fall

The same aging group that pushed the expensive sports car market (because frankly this was the demographics who could afford them) are getting older (bye bye midlife crisis) and now starting to crave the smooth, comfortable saloons like the LS. Of course, this hasn't manifested itself I guess, but the author seems to think there's a new trend.

While I'm a middling Gen Xer, I chose this car because it is comfortable, smooth and ultra quiet. That said, I'm really forward to the next iteration.

As quickly as these large sedans fell out of favor, they could definitely come back. The automotive industry is very cyclical and frankly, if you want to stand out of the crowd these days, in a sea of SUVs, there's nothing better than a large saloon like the LS.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)