Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
To add on to that, I used to be in agreement with SW15LS on FWD platforms are unimpressive
And evidence suggests you are not wrong. FWD is the perfect platform for the middle of the road segment. They would not sell if they were not satisfactory to the person's buying them.
Old 02-19-17, 12:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And evidence suggests you are not wrong. FWD is the perfect platform for the middle of the road segment. They would not sell if they were not satisfactory to the person's buying them.
I agree on the latter part of your comment. For the $$s spent on the ES, you are getting the most bang for buck. You could purchase a 320i...but the ES is bigger and better equipped. You could purchase a CLA....but you`d be silly. But mind you those vehicles do sell in quite the volume...Why? Well, not saying all, but a lot of people just love the feeling of owning a Luxury marque that is associated with a certain standard of living. That is the value right there, that is the satisfaction they require right there!

Side note, I can no longer tell the difference btwn this thread and the "Lexus being Acura" thread
Old 02-19-17, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Why? Well, not saying all, but a lot of people just love the feeling of owning a Luxury marque that is associated with a certain standard of living. That is the value right there, that is the satisfaction they require right there!
Which comes back to my argument that the Genesis G90 will have no influence on the new upcoming LS500. A lack of an entry level V8 will no affect (in a negative way) on the sales of the LS500. People pay more for brands that are worth more to them. Apple, Starbucks, Lululemon are just a few of the brands that I can think of than can command a higher premium than other brands that offer perhaps more or better alternatives or even the same.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-19-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The public doesn't seem to agree that these two vehicles are unimpressive......the proof is in the pudding. They sell in big numbers, and are considered the two bread-and-butter products for Lexus. If the public, as a whole, didn't find them very impressive for the price, there would not be that kind of demand for them.
Value is a huge part of why they find those models impressive. An ES or RX is a relative value compared to the competition. My point is if they are going to make them more expensive, they remove that value proposition then all of a sudden they're stuck trying to sell them to a more enthusiast buyer, they're in trouble using a downmarket Toyota platform.

As they're currently priced, clearly the Toyota platform is a non issue.
Old 02-19-17, 01:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

SW15LS i think you said you have the reg. wheelbase LS, correct? and i believe there will only long wheelbase LS500, correct? so thereforce you're going to be looking at a big step up price-wise regardless.
and if you don't need the long wheelbase, maybe you'll look elsewhere anyway. the mercedes E class is a fabulous vehicle too, with way more tech loaded up than the current LS and apparently just as refined.

i'm not dissing the new LS, i'm sure it will be an awesome vehicle. but like has been discussed, it's likely to be priced similarly to bmw, mercedes, etc. i don't think lexus wants to be seen in any way as a step or half step below the german flagships. plus they'll have the g90 nipping at their heels and don't want to be seen against that either.

before we know it though, there will be refreshed ct6, probably a new s-class, and on and on... brutal, lol
Old 02-19-17, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
............and the reliability of that Camry platform itself may be helping to attract buyers. Although the Camry has had a few issues over the years (80s-vintage bad ignition coils, 3.0L V6 sludge/gel from design of the oil-passages, 2006 defective V6 automatic transmissions, and bargain-basement interior plastics and hardware on the same generation, most of them, most of the time, have served as an envious model for automotive reliability.
Old 02-19-17, 02:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Value is a huge part of why they find those models impressive. An ES or RX is a relative value compared to the competition. My point is if they are going to make them more expensive, they remove that value proposition then all of a sudden they're stuck trying to sell them to a more enthusiast buyer, they're in trouble using a downmarket Toyota platform.

which is going to be fun when the new platform Arch is suppose to divide according to Lexus. For the RWD models not a problem, but for previously FWD platforms, I would only assume a price bump...then what?
Old 02-19-17, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

............and the reliability of that Camry platform itself may be helping to attract buyers. Although the Camry has had a few issues over the years (80s-vintage bad ignition coils, 3.0L V6 sludge/gel from design of the oil-passages, 2006 defective V6 automatic transmissions, and bargain-basement interior plastics and hardware on the same generation, most of them, most of the time, have served as an envious model for automotive reliability.
Every Toyota platform is reliable. These cars don't use these platforms because it makes them more reliable, they use them because they make them cheaper to make. That's fine when the car is a great value, but when it starts being a premium priced car, cost savings at the core of the vehicles platform mission is an issue.
Old 02-19-17, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Every Toyota platform is reliable. These cars don't use these platforms because it makes them more reliable, they use them because they make them cheaper to make. That's fine when the car is a great value, but when it starts being a premium priced car, cost savings at the core of the vehicles platform mission is an issue.
All else equal (which, of course, it often isn't) a FWD platform is not necessarily cheaper to build....it depends on the circumstances. Most FWD platforms, except for Audi and Subaru, use a transverse-mount position for the engine, which requires changes to the cooling system, a more complex re-routing of the power from the sideways-mounted transmission into the final-drive units through more bevel and/or direction-changing gears, and the addition of expensive CV (constant-velocity) joints on each front wheel. Of course, at the same time, it also saves on the big bulky rear differential, the long main drive shaft, a couple of regular universal joints, and the two smaller rear half-shafts. So, each system has its advantages and disadvantages in the cost department. FWD is usually chosen when space efficiency is at a premium, because it leaves more room for persons inside the cabin.
Old 02-19-17, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All else equal (which, of course, it often isn't) a FWD platform is not necessarily cheaper to build....it depends on the circumstances. Most FWD platforms, except for Audi and Subaru, use a transverse-mount position for the engine, which requires changes to the cooling system, a more complex re-routing of the power from the sideways-mounted transmission into the final-drive units through more bevel and/or direction-changing gears, and the addition of expensive CV (constant-velocity) joints on each front wheel. Of course, at the same time, it also saves on the big bulky rear differential, the long main drive shaft, a couple of regular universal joints, and the two smaller rear half-shafts. So, each system has its advantages and disadvantages in the cost department. FWD is usually chosen when space efficiency is at a premium, because it leaves more room for persons inside the cabin.
FWD platforms are cheaper to build, that's a big reason why they were developed and proliferated economy vehicles.

What makes the ES, RX etc cheap to produce is that the development cost of the basic platform and power train is piggybacked onto much higher volume cars. The cost of developing the platform is all recouped in the Camry, etc, so the ES and RX and all have very little
Engineering and development cost.
Old 02-19-17, 04:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A FWD vehicle is absolutely cheaper to build that a RWD vehicle of the same size. Materials and parts are more in a RWD model. It's almost like you have almost 1/4 less car in FWD car.
Old 02-19-17, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What makes the ES, RX etc cheap to produce is that the development cost of the basic platform and power train is piggybacked onto much higher volume cars. The cost of developing the platform is all recouped in the Camry, etc, so the ES and RX and all have very little
Engineering and development cost.
That part I'll agree with, but, unless I was missing something, you were strictly comparing FWD and RWD.
Old 02-19-17, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That part I'll agree with, but, unless I was missing something, you were strictly comparing FWD and RWD.
To be clear, FWD platforms are cheaper to develop and build than RWD platforms also, that's a big reason why the industry started using them so much especially on inexpensive vehicles. Jill pointed out some of the reasons why above.
Old 02-20-17, 03:31 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For those thinking this car can be priced towards the German V8 equivalents, here's a question: why didn't Lexus price the LC towards the same price as the S-class coupe?

The S-class coupe MSRPs north of $120k. The S550 at $97k.

If the LC is the same "flagship" in regards the LS being the same "flagship" against the S550, why is it priced $30k less than the S-class coupe?
Old 02-20-17, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
For those thinking this car can be priced towards the German V8 equivalents, here's a question: why didn't Lexus price the LC towards the same price as the S-class coupe?

The S-class coupe MSRPs north of $120k. The S550 at $97k.

If the LC is the same "flagship" in regards the LS being the same "flagship" against the S550, why is it priced $30k less than the S-class coupe?
The LC doesn't have to be priced at the same price point as an S-class coupe. The S-class coupe and LC500 are two different sizes.

As for the LS500, the brand is finally at the point where it can command more money. The current LS460 is the value flagship. Doesn't really compete with the bigger German but is perceived as a nicer car than a G90. In all honesty, the G90 is the better car than the LS460 but the LS460 has the better badge thanks to a better brand. Why not price the next LC500 higher. Its got more power than the LS460, more torque, better fuel economy, its longer, wider, and lower...its got more features...Why not charge more and get the price closer to the S-class?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-20-17 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)