Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Did anyone notice how this new LS is going to be RWD with a possible AWD later? Huge props to Lexus for keeping RWD!
Its RWD and AWD at launch. That's confirmed from Lexus.

Why hey would you think Lexus would ever drop RWD?
Old 01-22-17, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cafe ratings have gone up by about 11 mpg since 2010. Each manufacturer has a different rating.

It's a common misconception that V8s will disappear. Instead, they will just become less common. Once the Ls460 is out of production, the the only way to get a V8 in a Lexus will be the higher end F or LC500 trims. Hybrids allow a lot of credits among other items. Off the top of my head, I think Lexus likely sells not more than 10-15K V8 cars perhaps year in the US compared to all of those other models.
that's my impression too. i don't think i have heard too much drastic change since 2013.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From 2018 onwards, V6 TT is the new norm, while V8 TT is now the halo niche - for full size luxury sedans.

What about air suspension.
Does 5LS have air suspension?
Does current 4.5LS have air suspension as standard or an option?
How reliable have the LS' air suspension been? Leaking?
Is it true that E Class' air suspension is softer than conventional coil springs, but very noisy?
E and C Class already have air suspension - should GS and IS get air suspension too, before Lexus arrives too late to the party with air suspension?
i have seen a few 4ls air suspension issues. imho these are stuff that will go in due time. i do think lexus has better / more durable air suspension than mb in general.

personally i am not sure about air suspension in GS and IS. i would rather have those cars stay on the cheaper side. GS is hard to sell as is already
Old 01-23-17, 05:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its RWD and AWD at launch. That's confirmed from Lexus.

Why hey would you think Lexus would ever drop RWD?
Acoording to the interview in the video below (1.45 mark) it's only RWD for now. The industry trend now is to force AWD, at least in NE here its virtually impossible to find RWD 7 or S class.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvGQGDAhg4
Old 01-23-17, 05:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's a common misconception that V8s will disappear. Instead, they will just become less common.
haven't seen anyone say they will 'disappear'... there's still v12's available, but they're rarer than unicorns now.

but precision single and dual turbos and sophisticated software and transmissions have changed the game. i expect some form of hybrid to become more and more common too, especially on luxury cars, to give that silent idle / take away and of course, some 'instant' torque. lexus of course had a giant lead on this, but never marketed it, priced it too high, and hybrid GSs were also harder to get than big foot sightings.
Old 01-23-17, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Acoording to the interview in the video below (1.45 mark) it's only RWD for now. The industry trend now is to force AWD, at least in NE here its virtually impossible to find RWD 7 or S class.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvGQGDAhg4
I'm the one who originally posted that and pointed it out. The guy he interviewed was wrong. If you look at the Lexus Pressroom site it has the press release with all the stats, it clearly says that it's available in RWD and AWD at launch.

Seeing that 40% of all LSs sold are AWD it only makes sense that it would be available in AWD.
Old 01-23-17, 05:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

about the new LS, i haven't read this whole thread, but besides the new looks, what's the wow features? the huge HUD sounds pretty great...

from the pics i see imagery to the right of the large infotainment screen. is that another screen? for?
Old 01-23-17, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The wowest feature is that it will detect a pedestrian stepping out in front of you and steer to avoid them.
Old 01-23-17, 06:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about the new LS, i haven't read this whole thread, but besides the new looks, what's the wow features? the huge HUD sounds pretty great...

from the pics i see imagery to the right of the large infotainment screen. is that another screen? for?
It looks like ambient lighting. So pics it's there, some pics bits dark.
Old 01-23-17, 07:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Originally Posted by yardie876
It looks like ambient lighting. So pics it's there, some pics bits dark.
Yeah not another screen, just a lit up design.
Old 01-23-17, 07:17 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of all the announced features, as vague as they may have been this early, the one I'm most keen on is the HUD.

I have been critical of Lexus' instrument cluster, even the newer ones, where you have to switch modes to get information. When compared to the more recent Audi, it's rather meek imo simply because there's a lot more information that can be obtained at-a-glance, where you have to stare down and switch modes to get that same info.

Hopefully the HUD addresses this and frankly, if done right, would definitely be better than Audi's virtual cockpit and instrument cluster.

I found one photo that actually shows it. From what I can see it shows navigation, radar cruise control, speed, speed limit and fuel. Hopefully we can configure it to show other information, including radio data, outside temp, etc.

Old 01-23-17, 08:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You're not going to see real "wow" features on new cars, at least not until some completely breakthrough technology appears. All of these cars are already available with wide range of wheel bases, transmissions, engines, drivetrains, suspensions, etc. Materials and assembly are top notch across the board.

What we're going to see are more customization options, more choices of interior trim, leather, stitching, ac fragrances and other such little things. And obviously its going to be about who offers the best infotainment with biggest screens, most intuitive interface, faster and sharper graphics, better HUDs, better phone integration - much like we have with smartphones, tablets and computers these days.

There are only two recent really important innovations that I can think of. One of them is magic ride control in the S class, and the other is adaptive high beam assist with LED arrays. I believe these LED arrays are available on Audi, Lexus, MB and BMW but I'm not sure if they are available in the US?
Old 01-23-17, 08:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
You're not going to see real "wow" features on new cars, at least not until some completely breakthrough technology appears. All of these cars are already available with wide range of wheel bases, transmissions, engines, drivetrains, suspensions, etc. Materials and assembly are top notch across the board.
That's what people have said generation after generation.

Originally Posted by Och
What we're going to see are more customization options, more choices of interior trim, leather, stitching, ac fragrances and other such little things. And obviously its going to be about who offers the best infotainment with biggest screens, most intuitive interface, faster and sharper graphics, better HUDs, better phone integration - much like we have with smartphones, tablets and computers these days.

There are only two recent really important innovations that I can think of. One of them is magic ride control in the S class, and the other is adaptive high beam assist with LED arrays. I believe these LED arrays are available on Audi, Lexus, MB and BMW but I'm not sure if they are available in the US?
You can't leave out the area that manufacturers are absolutely pouring money into, which is the march to autonomous driving capability.
Old 01-23-17, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You can't leave out the area that manufacturers are absolutely pouring money into, which is the march to autonomous driving capability.
Oh lord here we go lol
Old 01-23-17, 10:26 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's what people have said generation after generation.You can't leave out the area that manufacturers are absolutely pouring money into, which is the march to autonomous driving capability.
If I remember correctly, they aren't activated (aside from auto high beam assist) here in the states due to outdated headlight laws. Some BMW owners have unlocked the feature on their cars though from what I've read.
Old 01-23-17, 10:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Oh lord here we go lol
Lol couldn't help myself

Originally Posted by yardie876
If I remember correctly, they aren't activated (aside from auto high beam assist) here in the states due to outdated headlight laws. Some BMW owners have unlocked the feature on their cars though from what I've read.
I know you didn't mean to quote me, but that's correct. BMW's have the most hackable (or should I say accessible) software. My friend had his enabled on his X5 and I absolutely loved it.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)