Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Old 01-16-17, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
they can try, although i don't think they will sell when someone can get an A8 for less money.
A8 will go up in price. New gen should be coming soon.
Old 01-16-17, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's actually G-AL, but I was talking about the BMW discussion. Modular architecture is really awesome, I'm loving all the adjustability of platforms these days. I find it interesting that Lexus doesn't seem particularly keen to introduce carbon fiber in G-AL, given their expertise. Must've been too expensive.

I would love to see this, although I'm sure their investors don't want to see Cadillac syndrome to occur. You know, when the market decides your car is overpriced then you're forced to roll out aggressive discounts. I say full steam ahead with higher prices for this car though. I would love to see the vote of confidence.
Lexus at the high end will not have the same issue as Cadillac who can charge premium money for the high end Escalade. Thanks for the G-AL FYI. Couldn't remember what it was called.
Old 01-16-17, 03:55 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A8 will go up in price. New gen should be coming soon.
i was just using an arbitrary example. both the 7 series and the A8 are currently priced below $85k as their respective starting prices.
Old 01-16-17, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's actually G-AL, but I was talking about the BMW discussion. Modular architecture is really awesome, I'm loving all the adjustability of platforms these days. I find it interesting that Lexus doesn't seem particularly keen to introduce carbon fiber in G-AL, given their expertise. Must've been too expensive.

I would love to see this, although I'm sure their investors don't want to see Cadillac syndrome to occur. You know, when the market decides your car is overpriced then you're forced to roll out aggressive discounts. I say full steam ahead with higher prices for this car though. I would love to see the vote of confidence.
Lexus at the high end will not have the same issue as Cadillac who can charge premium money for the high end Escalade. Thanks for the G-AL FYI. Couldn't remember what it was called.
Old 01-16-17, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if lexus ignored buyers, why do the research?

Well, that is basically one of the issues we were discussing earlier in this long thread. Sometimes a big forum like CL (And/or other big forums like it), if enough members express a certain view, can make a difference in marketing. But not always. I've remarked, many times, on how auto marketers seem determined to produce what they think people want, instead of what people actually want. Scion was a good example. It was going to be such a big panacea for young people...simple, easy, no-haggle deals like with Saturn, cool/mod/chic styling on the vehicles (or what the company perceived as cool/mod/chic LOL), Toyota reliability for the vehicles, etc...... In fact, it turned out to be a flop....and many of the buyers they did get, especially for the xB, were in fact older people LOL. We saw the same misguidedness from Acura in refusing to get rid of the parrot-beaks, in spite if the fact them most people despised them...and Acura suffered in the long run. The fact is that, even of you pursue new (or younger) customers, you simply cannot ignore your core-buyers, which is what some companies are doing today.
Old 01-16-17, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's actually G-AL
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for the G-AL FYI. Couldn't remember what it was called.
Here's a link that describes that platform in detail:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...ar-march-2016/

The Lexus blueprint is in the shredder, as Akio Toyoda, Toyota boss and grandson of the company’s founder, strives to make his premium brand famous for more than just precision build, reliability, whining hybrids and engineers who make cars handle in spite of – not because of – the chassis raw materials. And this is the first strike in that mission: the all-new GA-L architecture, underpinning this 467hp LC 500 coupe and all future Lexus crossovers and saloons from IS upwards.

If the PR-hype is to be believed Toyoda’s epiphany dates back to the 2011 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, where he unveiled the fourth-generation GS saloon with its Samurai chain-mail grille, just as Lexus’s 11-year hegemony as the pre-eminent US luxury car brand was coming to an end.

Toyoda appointed himself ‘chief branding officer and master driver for Lexus’ (arguably he needs a rebrand on that job title), but his passion for racing and dynamics has underpinned GA-L: global architecture – luxury vehicles.

Lexus rolls out the big guns: new 467bhp LC 500 coupe revealed in Detroit

The 5.0-litre V8 is pushed back to a front/mid-engined position, weight distribution is 52:48 front:rear, and the body structure is, Lexus claims, more torsionally rigid than the all-carbonfibre LFA supercar’s.

Extensive use of high-strength steels in the sills, lower ‘A’ posts, upper ‘B’ posts and cross beams enhances rigidity. Steel floorpan and inner wing pressings keep weight low down for a better centre of gravity. And while the rakish, 2+2 coupe’s bonnet, wings and outer door skins are aluminium, the latter feature lightweight carbonfibre reinforced plastic inners. Optional carbonfibre roof can replace a standard glass panel.

The coupe also bloods an innovative multi-link front suspension set-up, specially engineered and packaged so as to preserve the lines of the 2012 LF-LC concept which spawned the new coupe.

With a likely £90,000 price when UK sales start in 2017, the LC 500 will compete with Maserati’s GranTurismo and the BMW M6. It should sound riotous on its way to 62mph in less than 4.5sec, thanks to a dual-snorkel induction system, active baffles that open in Sport and a sound generator kicking in under acceleration. Expect a similar technical and aural overhaul for the hybrid: the story should be on www.carmagazine.co.uk as you read this.

If it pans out as Lexus intends, GA-L should provide the platform for 100,000 annual sales in Europe by 2020. And the master driver will have started unlocking the brand’s potential.
Old 01-16-17, 04:24 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What I was trying to point out with the MSRP data was that historically the LS was always a less expensive alternative. In 2007, it came out at roughly $8k less than the competitors AND offered more HP and was faster.

I honestly don't see why or how that trend would change.

What advantage does it offer over the others? The only advantage it has is that this V6 beats the other V6s. And, like in 2007, with that in hand, I do believe it should be price pointed around the V6s and, if history is any judge, it should probably be less, although I doubt they can pull off $8k less like in 2007.

I bet the Audi barely nudges too. That's one thing I've been following closely lately, Audi prices, especially in regards to generational changes.

Yes, I judge cars by the engine. That is the center point for me and probably for most car people and that's why I compared and contrasted based entirely on that fact as that does impact my car decision.
Old 01-16-17, 04:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Minor variations in suspension mounting points will not normally result in a chassis that's nearly 400 lbs heavier.
If the basic underlying design is similar, then the weight will be similar, and weight is what ultimately affects the vehicle...
Not once did I say that "minor variations" account for a 400lb heavier vehicle. We've already established what was at play in that particular case. Yet the Audi Q7 weighs 5080lbs (as tested) and the A4 weighs 3671lbs. (as tested). Same platform. You can't say something is or isn't sharing a platform just by weight. And that's what's going to be the beauty of GA-L as well. I'm excited to see where the cost savings gets invested.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that is basically one of the issues we were discussing earlier in this long thread. Sometimes a big forum like CL (And/or other big forums like it), if enough members express a certain view, can make a difference in marketing. But not always. I've remarked, many times, on how auto marketers seem determined to produce what they think people want, instead of what people actually want. Scion was a good example. It was going to be such a big panacea for young people...simple, easy, no-haggle deals like with Saturn, cool/mod/chic styling on the vehicles (or what the company perceived as cool/mod/chic LOL), Toyota reliability for the vehicles, etc...... In fact, it turned out to be a flop....and many of the buyers they did get, especially for the xB, were in fact older people LOL. We saw the same misguidedness from Acura in refusing to get rid of the parrot-beaks, in spite if the fact them most people despised them...and Acura suffered in the long run. The fact is that, even of you pursue new (or younger) customers, you simply cannot ignore your core-buyers, which is what some companies are doing today.
You make a good point, but we also have to be cognizant of the incentive to take risks. While I agree it's a mistake to completely ignore your own buyers, everyone wants to the iPhone of the automotive world by presenting things that people didn't even know they wanted. That is dangling goal that some companies just can't resist.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
What I was trying to point out with the MSRP data was that historically the LS was always a less expensive alternative. In 2007, it came out at roughly $8k less than the competitors AND offered more HP and was faster.

I honestly don't see why or how that trend would change.

What advantage does it offer over the others? The only advantage it has is that this V6 beats the other V6s. And, like in 2007, with that in hand, I do believe it should be price pointed around the V6s and, if history is any judge, it should probably be less, although I doubt they can pull off $8k less like in 2007.

I bet the Audi barely nudges too. That's one thing I've been following closely lately, Audi prices, especially in regards to generational changes.

Yes, I judge cars by the engine. That is the center point for me and probably for most car people and that's why I compared and contrasted based entirely on that fact as that does impact my car decision.
So at what point does Lexus decide it's at par with the Germans and start raising the price? If it had a competitive V8 TT, would that be the tipping point?

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-16-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 04:51 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

That's a very easy question to answer Tango: when it has the sales volume to back it up.

The Mercedes S550 is the most expensive yet still outsells everything else in its class. To me, that is justification in itself that its price point is good.

Based on past precedent, I don't belive Lexus is there yet with the LS. If this thing sells like hotcakes at $80k, then maybe it can start raising that price point. Can it reach Mercedes price levels? Tall order.

Also, the price appreciation per year has been fairly consistent, numerically and percentage wise. All of them have appreciated in MSRP fairly consistently, Lexus too, but remember Lexus started lower. I'm not sure it can handle a bigger jump. I don't believe this generation offers enough to justify it. Especially with just one engine.

IF Lexus does plan on introducing a V8 later, it would need some headroom as well, which would even more so justify the $80k MSRP, giving them some headway to $90k+, remaining slightly cheaper than the 750 et al.
Old 01-16-17, 05:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

That's a very easy question to answer Tango: when it has the sales volume to back it up.

The Mercedes S550 is the most expensive yet still outsells everything else in its class. To me, that is justification in itself that its price point is good.

Based on past precedent, I don't belive Lexus is there yet with the LS. If this thing sells like hotcakes at $80k, then maybe it can start raising that price point. Can it reach Mercedes price levels? Tall order.
There's been more than a few times it got close to S-class figures (even outsold it here and there). Note: figures below don't include the Benz CL variant in previous generations but include the S-class coupe now. Honestly I think things would've continued that way had Lexus not delayed this LS.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
Old 01-16-17, 05:25 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, but at a much lower price point. That's the amazing thing: Mercedes can outsell anyone in this class and with a much higher price.

Look at that chart again, it's dizzying at the price differences.

But again, I'm just speculating. Lexus very well could throw thing out closer to $90k, which would be nuts imo and sell worse than the GSF.
Old 01-16-17, 05:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Yeah, but at a much lower price point. That's the amazing thing: Mercedes can outsell anyone in this class and with a much higher price.

Look at that chart again, it's dizzying at the price differences.
No denying that!

But again, I'm just speculating. Lexus very well could throw thing out closer to $90k, which would be nuts imo and sell worse than the GSF.
I saw one on the street last weekend was startled. I had completely forgot they existed.
Old 01-16-17, 07:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes sells mostly on name and recognition that it's upscale and luxury. I won't say that's false, but imo, it's not so much more deserving than other premium brands like Lexus. In Europe they aren't known as 'luxury king'. That's a perception they have over here, at least. I prefer this new LS. I like the S-Class, but I really like the new LS's looks and that sleek design it has. I don't think it'll drop the V8, and I think it'll get an F-Sport variation at some point and maybe even a full on LS F which would be awesome.
Old 01-16-17, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Mercedes sells mostly on name and recognition that it's upscale and luxury. I won't say that's false, but imo, it's not so much more deserving than other premium brands like Lexus. In Europe they aren't known as 'luxury king'. That's a perception they have over here, at least.
That's because, unlike here, in Europe, they sell low-priced Mercedes vehicles with essentially taxicab-grade trim and interiors. Here, as you note, they are perceived as upscale products, and treated as such.
Old 01-16-17, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

If they do price it sub $80k, it kind of diminishes the perception of that "flagship." I think the value pricing Acura did hurt it with the more affluent buyers and they're still trying to recover.
just caught this a bit late... aaand... huh??? acura's been roundly trashed for pricing the rlx as high as they have. no one thinks it's worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)