Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC

By CL member-request, a Review of the all-new 2015 Lincoln MKC.

http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mkc/

IN A NUTSHELL: More than just a redone Ford Escape....and Lincoln has a lot riding on this new vehicle.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Cadillac SRX, Lexus RX300, Audi Q5, BMW X3, Mercedes GLK, Infiniti QX50/QX60, Acura RDX, Volvo XC60

(MKC, above, at Washington, D.C. Auto Show in Tahitian Pearl paint color)

OVERVIEW:

It's no secret, a least throughout the automotive press and industry, that Ford's upmarket Lincoln division, which once had the prestige of being the company chosen for White House Limousines, has fallen on some rather hard times lately. There are, of course, a number of reasons for this, partly of Ford's own making, and partly from things that were (and are) beyond their control. First of all, it was a division that, like rival Cadillac and Cadillac underling Buick, tended to market to older, retiring persons.....and many of those persons are now passing away. Second, the very popular Town Car, which was not only a hit with many seniors (and even some non-seniors), but was also used by most American limo-firms and Executive-car services, was dropped a few years ago. Third, since the Town Car was dropped, the company has introduced a whole string of what IMO are rather Ho-Hum, unimpressive vehicles...especially for the luxury-class. (I've made that clear in some of my reviews of them). Fourth, since so much money and attention has been put into the Ford Division and their remarkable resurrection, the Lincoln Division was more or less neglected for a number of years. (Ford, unlike GM or Chrysler, did not need any bailout money either from the American government or a foreign take-over to remain afloat, although the company DID have to make some severe cutbacks and sacrifices).

Ford, of course, like GM, size-wize, is only a shadow of its former self, considering all the other automakers it once owned or had a share in.....though GM, despite massive downsizing, has still managed to remain one of the world's largest automakers, with Ford not that far behind. In order to streamline the organization and get their house in order, Ford had to sell off Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors, Volvo to China's Geely Motors, and most of Mazda back to a Japanese partnership. In addition, on the excuse that the Mercury Division simply selling rebadged Fords and costing the corporation money for nothing, Ford's leadership decided to ax them altogether...they joined Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Saturn, and Pontiac in the graveyard of classic American brands.

I'm not saying all of these decisions were wrong, of course (there were some strong business and survival cases for them)...and though I DO have my own private views/feelings on these actions, most of those thoughts are probably best left for another time and place, not in a car-review. But, the one obvious result of all of this is that it left only one division (Lincoln) at Ford for the marketing of its upmarket products. And Lincoln just wasn't (and isn't) getting the attention and sales seen at rival Cadillac.

Outgoing CEO Alan Mulally (from Ford, he's going to Google), may have worked practically a miracle at Ford, but Lincoln clearly did not share in it. Their newer products have been mostly duds....and the alphabet-soup naming/configurations for them is confusing to a lot of people (even following auto-market trends regularly, like I do, I myself found them hard to decipher for awhile). The MKX SUV was nothing but an obvious dull-driving rebadge of the Ford Edge, with a little plusher trim and more standard equipment. The slightly larger MKT SUV, though styled markedly differently from the shoebox-square Ford Flex SUV it was based on, was, IMO, about as awkward-looking as an SUV of that size could be...the rear end looked like a Chrysler PT cruiser with wall-to-wall taillights, and the garish grille (which all new Lincolns have adopted) looked like a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set off teeth-braces. The second-generation MKZ mid-size sedan, supposedly brought out to compete with the Lexus ES350 and Cadillac CTS, was IMO also unimpressive...it had some awkward interior designs and, IMO, didn't drive any better than some much cheaper family-sedans in the same size-class...in fact, IMO, it didn't drive as well as its own brother Ford Fusion, which is very nicely-done. The big full-size Navigator SUV, based on Ford's Expedition, was once popular with athletes, entertainers, rap-singers, and soccer-moms, but has lost a large part of its market-share to Cadillac's Escalade and other competitors.

So, after a rather long introduction to what led up to it (I hope it wasn't too boring for you readers, as I sometimes tend to run on), let's get to the topic of today's review....the new Lincoln MKC. Keeping the same alphabet-soup in its designation, Lincoln is introducing its first small SUV, which is done from a modified Ford Escape platform, Ford's other small SUV. But the MKC, unlike the larger MKX/Edge rebadge, is not just an Escape with some plush trim and equipment. The MKC has its own unique look, somewhat more conservative than the highly-styled Edge......except for the Lincoln Smiley-Tooth grille with horizontal braces instead of vertical. It is smaller than the MKX, and can be considered Lincoln's first CUV or "Cute-Ute". I first saw the MKC in person at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show last winter, and was quite impressed with what I saw, even though it was up on a turntable and I was limited in what I could see and access. ButI thought it was clearly one of the most impressive new displays at the show, especially in the gorgeous medium-to-dark purple Tahitian Pearl paint color. The Lincoln reps there said it would indeed be a production color, and they have seem to have kept their word....it's on the MKC's website. They did NOT keep their word, though, on the April 30 introduction date.....here it is late July now, and the first MKCs are only now starting to arrive here in the D.C. area and be sold. They gave me one of those sign-up forms Ford typically gives out at the shows for a test-drive and $50 pre-paid Visa card, and I ended up doing the Lincoln MKX review/test-drive for the card, as no MKCs were available then.

Well, finally, almost three months late, after several delays (Ford was rather tight-lipped on the reason), they are starting to arrive. The MKC is offered with a 2.0L turbo Ecoboost in-line four with a choice of FWD or AWD or a 2.3L turbo EcoBoost four with AWD. (That's right....no V6, but the new CAFE laws are killing off some former V6s). All versions get a 6-speed SelectShift automatic transmission. There are no separate trim-lines as such, but optional Select, Premier, and Reserve equipment packages. Base prices run from $33,100 for a 2.0L FWD model to $39,965 for an AWD 2.3L. The 2.0L produces 240 HP / 270 ft-lbs. of torque, while the 2.3L produces 285 HP and a whopping 305 ft-lbs. of torque.......admittedly more torque than many non-turbo V6s, though a V6 usually offers better smoothness/refinement.

After a quick Internet inventory-check, I stopped by a local Ford/Lincoln shop late this morning (one of the largest ones on the East Coast). I knew the GM (General Manager) there, the son of the late owner. He had once been a Lexus salesman before moving up in rank, and I had bought a new IS300 from him. I also knew some of the other salespeople there from shopping with others. At first, I couldn't find any MKCs on the lot, despite the web-site inventory (I sometimes check the lot myself before bothering the people inside). Inside, they verified that the last one of the few they had was just sold minutes before I arrived (Hey, no sweat.....that happens.) And the GM had just driven off with the one factory-program (Ford-owned) MKC they kept on the lot as a demo....he probably went to lunch. So, no MKCs. But guess what? Just as we were speaking, a big truck/new-car transporter pulls into the dealership and unloads a nice red MKC with the 2.0 turbo, FWD, and a nice list of options. (How's THAT for timing?) I had hoped to review an AWD model, but, as this red FWD one was as yet still unsold (and would probably sell that day or the next), I decided to go ahead and review/test-drive it while I had the chance. So, to speed things up a little, I helped the PDI guys in back prepare the vehicle myself (which I've sometimes done before, even as a non-employee), pulling off plastic wrappers, weather covers, bras, disc brake covers, seat protectors, etc.... and checking the fluids/recommended tire pressures. Then, a quick trip for it through the Virginia Safety-Inspection lane....a law in this state. Finally, time to review and go.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Lincoln MKC FWD

BASE PRICE: $33,100

OPTIONS:

Equipment Group 101A: $3230

Ruby Red Metallic Paint: $495 (somewhat of a rip-off, just like the same $495 that GM charges for the same color on their vehicles)

Enhanced THX Audio Sound System: $995 (rather expensive, but it is a great stereo)

Class II Trailer-Tow Package: $495

Single CD/MP3 Satellite HD Radio: No Charge (I guess that answers the question if CD players are still available on new vehicles)

Reversible Cargo Mat: $50

Select Plus Package (Includes Traffic-Alert and NAV): $1,100

Climate Package with Heated Steering Wheel: $580

Front License Plate Bracket (Required in Virginia): No Charge

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $895 (about average for vehicles in this class)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $40,940

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted 2.0L Turbocharged Ecoboost in-line four, 240 HP @ 5500 RPM, Torque 270 Ft-lbs. @ 3000 RPM, 6-speed Select-Shift automatic transmission with paddle-shifters.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 City, 29 Highway, 23 Combined (Not particularly good for a relatively small FWD 4-cylinder SUV, but Ford has adjusted recent MPG numbers closer to what most customers actually get, and the turbo also lowers the ratings)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Ruby Red Metallic

INTERIOR: White Sand Premium

PLUSSES:

Nice compact size, by SUV standards, for parking/manuverability.

Nice gas strut underhood instead of manual prop-rod.

2.0L turbo four relatively responsive for a standard engine.

Slick, refined, smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.

Relatively quick-responding brake pedal has little free-play or mushiness.

Decent steering/road feel by electric-power-steering standards.

Relatively comfortable ride, but 35 PSI tires stiffen it up a little.

Good wind noise control.

Excellent paint color choice (including hard-to-find gold and darkish purple).

Well-done paint job.

Nice-feeling leather on the seats.

Better stereo volume/tune controls than on other Lincolns.

Killer stereo sound quality (with the optional package).

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Decent front/rear headroom.

Plush, roomy, nicely-trimmed cargo area.

Generally well-done interior hardware.

Rich-feeling, nicely-done interior trim materials.

Front end/grille (IMO) less garish-looking than other Lincolns.

Sedan-like forward view out front despite a relatively high stance.

Decent visibility out the side/rear despite the relatively thick D-pillars.

MINUSES:

No V6 engine available for added refinement.

Some road noise on coarse surfaces, but not excessive.

Sometimes-jumpy throttle from rest in Sport mode.

Extra charge for some paint colors.

No body-side moulding for paint-protection.

Underhood layout not very good for do-it-yourselfers.

Relatively small, flat rear seat.....but better-padded than the one in the brother Ford Escape.

Front seat-back upper-bolsters slightly too narrow for large, wide torsos my size.

Solid-feeling but poorly-shaped glovebox.

Relatively tight legroom in back.

Small, cheap-feeling rocker switches for fan/interior temperature.

Cheap-looking, loose-feeling, flat-black column paddle-shifters same as in other Ford products.

Temporary spare tire.

Lincoln dealer network relatively sparse compared to Ford.

(Consumer Reports) Worse-than-Average reliability of sister Ford Escape not a good omen for the MKC.

EXTERIOR:

The new MKC, as previously stated, is taken from the compact Ford Escape platform, so it is the physically smallest and most entry-level of the Lincoln SUV family, which includes the larger MKX, MKT, and Navigator series. In fact, the base-level MKC I reviewed was parked next to a top-level Titanium Escape with the optional wheels, and actually sat about an inch or two lower, mainly due to the smaller wheels. Yet, the MKC is easily identifiable as a Lincoln SUV, having roughly the same body-shape as the larger MKX and the same general outline of the grille/front end, though the grille's horizontal bars are noticeably less garish than the vertical slots on other Lincolns. I was well-pleased with the MKC's exterior paint-color offerings (and which seem to be available on every version), as they aren't just the usual dull also-ran shades seen on many of today's luxury/upmarket vehicles. The MKC offers, besides other shades, a nice Candy-Apple-type red metallic (the Ruby Red I mentioned that costs extra), a nice Pearl White (also costing extra), a Gold metallic, and the gorgeous purple Tahitian Pearl. The bodywork and sheet metal is solid and well-done enough, but the door-structures seem somewhat odd. From the inside of the car, when you get in and shut them, they feel and sound very solid. But when you shut them on the outside, they have a still-precise, but much lighter/flimsier sound/feel to them. Go figure. It might be something in the way the door-latches are designed or how the door-insulation material works. There are no body-side moldings to protect the paint from parking-lot dings. There is however, a nice black lower-body-cladding that runs around the entire length of the vehicle and up inside the wheel wells to help protect the paint from road and tire-kick-debris.....that, IMO, should come with more vehicles. Roof racks for bulky strap-on items are standard.....but, as with any high-stance SUV, one must be careful not to put too much weight on the roof, as it can degrade the handling and make the vehicle tipsy.

UNDERHOOD:

Unlatch and flip up the solid-feeling hood, and there's a single, but relatively large gas strut on the left to conveniently hold it up for you....no fumbling around with a manual prop rod. On the lower side of the hood, as befits a Lincoln, there is a nice insulation pad to help keep out engine noise (especially important with four-cylinders). The transversely-mounted 2.0L EcoBoost turbo four fits in generally well, but the big plastic cover on top blocks a lot of top-engine components, and there is only a fairly small amount of room on the sides of the block to reach things. (The 2.3L four would probably fit a little tighter). The battery, back to the right, is under a very stiff cover, as are several other underhood components. Fortunately, as usual, the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are relatively easy to reach. I admit I criticized this vehicle for the lack of a small V6, but, looking under the hood, I'm not really sure a 2.5L V6 would actually fit and still have reasonable airflow around it to help with cooling. (Even though the majority of engine-cooling is done by the antifreeze/radiator and oil-pressure, adequate air-flow around the engine block still helps)

INTERIOR:

Although the MKC's interior is somewhat smaller and less-roomy than that of other Lincoln SUV's, the designers, IMO, did a substantialy better job on both the layout, materials, and (with the Select package my test-car had) general level of plushness. The (IMO) annoying finger-slide controls on the MKZ and MKX upper-console have been replaced by nice chrome-ringed rotary dials for stereo functions, though the flimsy-feeling rocker switches beneath them for fan-speed and interior temperature still aren't very impressive. Some have commented that the new rotary-dials feel loose and cheap. I disagree....they have what is, IMO, a nice slick, precision feel. Overhead, the sun-visors and console are lined with a soft, plush-feeling velvet-like material. There are a few fit-gaps here and there, but, overall, the general fit/finish level is quite good. The stereo sound quality was a real killer....helped, of course, by the $995 upgrade-option my test-car had. This was (almost) the equal of the Lexus Mark Levinson stereos, generally considered the industry standard. The genuine leather seat-coverings (part of the Select 101A package) looked and felt quite nice. Almost all of the interior and door/panel trim materials were padded, soft-surface, looked and felt of quality materials. Four different interior colors and two different genuine wood-trims are available. Base and non-Select models get real aluminum trim; other models get the wood. My test-car had the light White Sands (off-white) leather with the lighter (Zebrano) of the two woods available, which is probably the way I'd get it if I was in the market for an MKC. The primary gauges were generally clear and easy to read, the glove box door opened and shut like a vault, and the controls/buttons and dials were generally well-designed and easy to use, with a couple of exceptions, which I'll get to in a second. Headroom, both up front and in back, was adequate for tall persons my size....a benefit of the rather conservative roof-line. Some have criticized the push-buttons on the dash for the automatic transmission, (early 1960s Chrysler style), but I had no problem with them (in fact, I first learned to drive, some 45 years ago, on cars that had them). They are large, well-marked, right in front of you staring in your face, and easy to use.

So the MKZ, IMO, easily gets an A for general interior design and quality of materials, but some annoyances do pop up. The glove box hardware/latch itself is quite solid, but the down/inward-sloping shape of the opening and relative small, split-level volume makes it a difficult stretch for someone (especially reaching over from the drivers' seat) to take things in and out.....like if Smokey the Trooper stops you and wants to see your registration right now. A more significant flaw inside, IMO, for families, is the general design of the back seat. I strongly complained about how awful the rear seat was in the MKC's brother Ford Escape...it was too small, too flat, too thinly padded (almost no padding at all), and grossly uncomfortable......I think I'd rather walk than actually sit and ride on it. The MKC's rear seat, fortunately, is a couple of steps above that, with nice-feeling leather and MUCH thicker/better padding, but still is a little short on leg room with the front seat adjusted back for tall persons. The otherwise comfortable front seats, while fine for most adults, are slightly too narrow in the upper part of the bolstering for big wide torsos like mine.....I could feel them pressing a little into the sides of my back. The shift-paddles for the Select-shift transmission are the same ugly, flat-black, loosely-operating ones that I've criticized in a number of other Ford products. The only other complaint I had inside was the design of the parking-brake tab. It was hidden under the left side of the dash, and pretty much had to be reached by grope-and-feel each time you wanted to use it.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Lift the solid-feeling rear hatch, and you are treated to a relatively roomy and nicely-trimmed cargo area. The rear hatch-lid does not power itself up and down without an optional package, but, on my test-car, did automatically latch itself when hand-lowered. The sister Ford Escape, on the top-line Titanium version, has a handy, well-advertised mechanism for the rear hatch that powers it up, when you have both your hands full of packages, by simply sweeping your foot under the sensors in the rear-bumper....a nice feature. That feature is, of course, also available for the MKC in some packages, but my test-car didn't have it. The generally roomy cargo area is enhanced by the relatively conservative design of the rear and roofline (those droop-down rear rooflines on SUVs like the Infiniti EX35/QX50 pay a steep price in cargo room). The floor and side-walls are covered in a nice, fairly thin, but still very plush-feeling grade of black carpet, and the rear seats, of course, fold down for added cargo space. A nice removable pull/shade cargo cover is provided (part of the Select 101A package) to hide things in the bed from prying eyes, but, IMO, should be standard in an SUV of this price. Under the floor is the usual temporary spare tire....but that at least beats the compressed-air, Fix-a-Flat bottle that comes with the even more-expensive Acura RLX I reviewed last week.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder with a start/stop button (standard in all versions), and the engine comes to life and idles with a fair amount of refinement, but with a still-audible purr. On the road, it has a pretty fair amount of torque for its size, but, IMO, is not as well-done, refined, or responsive, overall, as the superb VW/Audi 2.0L turbo four of equal size....long one of my favorite small engines (I just reviewed another one recently in the new Audi A3). The excellent 6-speed Select-shift transmission, however, to an extent, made up for the less-than-perfectly refined engine, delivering seamless, responsive shifts, quick kick-down even in normal mode, and very low noise levels. This transmission seems to be a step forward for Ford, as Ford units typically lack some of the refinement that GM and Lexus automatics have. In the Sport driving mode, which is achieved by bringing the shift lever back to the "S" position, Engine torque-mapping and transmission response are slightly reprogrammed, and the throttle can be a little jumpy from rest if you aren't careful to feather-foot it. The shift-paddles, which are otherwise awful (as I described in the INTERIOR section), do work in both the Sport and Normal driving modes...a nice feature.

The current-generation Ford Escape that the MKC is based on, of course, was originally developed in Europe, where it is known as the Ford Kaga. While this is not a sports-car by any means, some of the Euro-roots of the chassis do show up in the MKC's everyday driving manners. My test car had the Select-package 18" wheels with Continental Contipro 50-series tires. While neither the ride nor the handling was really outstanding, it was a good well-engineered compromise and combination of the two. The ride comfort was reasonably comfortable over bumps and pavement imperfections (not quite as smooth as I'd like, but then relatively few vehicles these days are). There actually was some (not a lot) of road feel with the electric power steering...the system wasn't totally numb like in some other newer electric units). Steering response, I'd say was medium....not particularly quick or slow. There was some body roll evident, but not a lot for a relatively high-stance and decent-riding small SUV....here, I think the Euro-roots show again. Wind-noise control was very well-done. Some road noise reaches the cabin on coarse or porous paved-surfaces, but quiets down noticeably on smooth even pavement. It was obvious the brakes were developed in Europe (probably Germany)....the pedal had a very firm feel, little free-play or mushiness, and responded quickly. My big size-15 clown-shoes had at least some some trouble catching the brake-pedal rim when going quickly from gas to brake....but not as much as in a number of other vehicles I've driven.

THE VERDICT:

As I stated back at the top when I opened this review, after a long string of unimpressive duds in the American market since the popular Town Car was dropped, Lincoln has a lot riding on this car. A significant part of the division's future could depend on it. While Lincoln has basically stood still for years, much of the competition has surpassed it in a number of areas. So this vehicle has to deliver...and it has to deliver now. Has it done so?

Of course, general sales are only starting right now, so it's too early to tell in that regard. The former Worse-Than-Average reliability rating of the Ford Escape has not boded well for the MKC's initial reliability, though first-year model vehicles are not always unreliable by any means. And, IMO, the MKC could have been marketed better with a V6 and a roomier back seat, though we can thank our government's new CAFE laws for the disappearance and/or more-restricted use of larger-block engines....an issue that is beyond Ford's control, or the control of any other manufacturer.

But, for the most part, what Lincoln HAS done with the MKC, it has, IMO, done very well. The paint colors show some of the imagination that most of its competitors still lack. The interior is noticeably better-done than not only some of its competitors, but even its sister Lincoln SUVs as well. The Lexus RX350, admittedly, trumps it in engine-refinement, rough-road-noise-control, and rear-seat comfort, but the MKC is surprisingly competitive in other ways. It is not a cheap vehicle by any means, but it is not prohibitively expensive, and will be affordable by many potential buyers if those buyers can overcome the recent stigma that Lincoln has with much of the public and actually go see and test-drive one. And, judging from initial sales, the public does seem to be opening its eyes some. Right now, I myself an not in the market for a new SUV, but, if I were, this would probably be first or second on my list......purple, of course, with the off-white leather.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-22-14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

mmarshall, fyi, i took out one of your images as it came from a russian website my computer said is malicious.
Old 07-22-14, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall, fyi, i took out one of your images as it came from a russian website my computer said is malicious.
OK, Thanks. I see it was the one on that odd console-angle.

Interesting, though, since I have a brand-new Apple computer with a just-installed up-to-date anti-virus. Leave it to the Russians, though, to find new ways to infect cyberspace...they've been doing it for years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 04:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Great review Mike.

I'm pleasantly surprised we have virtually the same points/views on what I wrote yesterday!

- very nice materials inside, but with some fit issues
- rear seat room/comfort mediocre
- front seat comfort OK
- trunk finish very nice thanks to the high grade carpeting
- pleased with the donut spare in today's fix-a-flat world
- some of the switchgear feel not to luxury standards
- AND what I chuckled to when I read it since we both said the exact same thing... the door makes a solid sound when closing on the inside, yet sounds tinny from the outside. I equated the sound to Ford Crown Vic's door slam to what you hear on the outside. LOL

I didn't test drive it as I mentioned, though I had higher hopes to read from you, an experience for a smoother softer ride seeing it carries the Lincoln badge. I wonder if you had dropped the psi to say 32, or had the adaptive suspension and if that would have made any difference.

The only place we differ is the conclusion. For me, because of the fit issues and tight rear seat, this vehicle would not be 1st or 2nd on my list. But besides that, vehicle is the best Ford has produced to date IMO.
Old 07-22-14, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Great review Mike.
Thanks. I've been looking forward to reviewing the MKC for some time.

I'm pleasantly surprised we have virtually the same points/views.

- very nice materials inside, but with some fit issues
- rear seat room/comfort mediocre
- front seat comfort OK
- trunk finish very nice thanks to the high grade carpeting
- pleased with the donut spare in today's fix-a-flat world
- some of the switchgear feel not to luxury standards
- AND what I chuckled to when I read it since we both said the exact same thing... the door makes a solid sound when closing on the inside, yet sounds tinny from the outside. I equated the sound to Ford Crown Vic's door slam to what you hear on the outside. LOL
That's what's called being attentive and looking at things carefully.

I didn't test drive it as I mentioned, though I had higher hopes to read from you, an experience for a smoother softer ride seeing it carries the Lincoln badge. I wonder if you had dropped the psi to say 32, or had the adaptive suspension and if that would have made any difference.
Yes bleeding some PSI would probably soften the ride...it usually does, although a lot also depends on how hard/soft the rubber in the tires is. Warm temperatures tend to soften tire-rubber and make for a softer ride and more bump-absorbtion even at the same PSI.

But auto engineers set the recommended PSIs for a reason, and that's what the vehicle is basically designed to run at with cold-tire PSI (tires siting for at least 3 hours and out of the sun).

The only place we differ is the conclusion. For me, because of the fit issues and tight rear seat, this vehicle would not be 1st or 2nd on my list. But besides that, vehicle is the best Ford has produced to date IMO.
That's high on my list only for SUVs. And I'm single, so rear-seat room is usually not an issue. I don't think it's necessarily a better product than the Ford Fusion (which I have a very high opinion of), though the MKC interior and paint jobs are nicer.
Old 07-22-14, 04:42 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a sold car, now the question is what can Lincoln do get people in the show room? Have they tarnished their reputation that even a solid entry won't help? Or is there a glimmer of light left?
Old 07-22-14, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
Looks like a sold car, now the question is what can Lincoln do get people in the show room? Have they tarnished their reputation that even a solid entry won't help? Or is there a glimmer of light left?
One thing that will (likely) help is that a lot of Lincoln shops are now co-located with much bigger Ford shops (like the one I was at). Some of the much more widespread base of Ford buyers coming in and out of the same dealerships just might (?) take the time to check out some Lincolns.
Old 07-22-14, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that will (likely) help is that a lot of Lincoln shops are now co-located with much bigger Ford shops (like the one I was at). Some of the much more widespread base of Ford buyers coming in and out of the same dealerships just might (?) take the time to check out some Lincolns.

My issue with the Ford co-location is it cheapens the appeal of Lincoln. Despite the high-end look to the dedicated stone-veneer Lincoln entrance, the dealer I went to yesterday was low-rate, had sales staff that were too laid back and joking with each other. They also totally ignored me and my two kids for the 20-30 mins we thoroughly evaluated the MKC. The experience was not premium whatsoever, but what you'd expect in a Ford dealer back in the eighties. Was bad. Possibly this was an exception, but for Ford to distinguish Lincoln vehicles from Fords, it must start from the place of purchase and ensure there's some sort of segregation. Much like Lexus and Toyota started back in the nineties, they shared a floor space but when your crossed over to the Lexus side, it looked and felt special thanks to upscale decor and different dedicated sales staff.
Old 07-22-14, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My issue with the Ford co-location is it cheapens the appeal of Lincoln. Despite the high-end look to the dedicated stone-veneer Lincoln entrance, the dealer I went to yesterday was low-rate, had sales staff that were too laid back and joking with each other. They also totally ignored me and my two kids for the 20-30 mins we thoroughly evaluated the MKC. The experience was not premium whatsoever, but what you'd expect in a Ford dealer back in the eighties. Was bad. Possibly this was an exception, but for Ford to distinguish Lincoln vehicles from Fords, it must start from the place of purchase and ensure there's some sort of segregation. Much like Lexus and Toyota started back in the nineties, they shared a floor space but when your crossed over to the Lexus side, it looked and felt special thanks to upscale decor and different dedicated sales staff.

You saw co-located Toyota/Lexus dealerships? There have never been any joint ones in this area....Lexus shops have always sold alone. In fact, I thought joint-franchises prohibited under the Lexus franchise-contract (unless they just recently changed that rule).
Old 07-22-14, 06:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Yeah in Montreal where I grew up, a couple existed. I believe this one is still around today.

Old 07-22-14, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Yeah in Montreal where I grew up, a couple existed. I believe this one is still around today.

Ah, that might (?) explain it....outside U.S. borders.
Old 07-22-14, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews:

Audi S3 test drive when available (by request, an update to my A3 review).

Honda HR-V

Lexus NX
Old 07-22-14, 11:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You saw co-located Toyota/Lexus dealerships? There have never been any joint ones in this area....Lexus shops have always sold alone. In fact, I thought joint-franchises prohibited under the Lexus franchise-contract (unless they just recently changed that rule).
There are a few Lexus-Toyota dealers still around. My area has one such dealer. I took a tour for an open house and it was pretty cool. They also have the only Toyota auto body paint shop on premises as well as a full auto body restoration on premises. The dealer also happens to be the number one dealer for customer satisfaction in the country. So Toyota will make some concessions to top performers.

As the Lincoln in this thread, that stupid PRNDL set up is utterly stupid. I doubt Lexus NX/X1 buyers will be swayed by this vehicle.

Like typical American fashion, the American automakers separate themselves.

For this segment
Tier 1: BMX X1, Lexus NX, Audi Q3

Tier 2: Lincoln MKC, Acura RDX

Then we have the Buick Encore for select markets as well as some Mazdas as well.

Lincoln could of done so much more.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-14 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 05:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Considering price, size etc. the segment includes X3 and Q5. X1 and Q3 are smaller and cost less.
Old 07-23-14, 05:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All this hate for the push button shifting.
I love it!

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC