Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The last thing I want to have to deal with is a big storm approaching, a power-roof failure when it is stuck open, and no place to park the car under for cover. Years ago, auto manufacturers gave you a small hand-crank and a fitting to manually crank it shut in an emergency. You generally don't see that much anymore.
how about we don't see it at all anymore? and i don't remember the last time i heard of someone with a power roof failure.

He's right. They DO break. 5-6 years is about the average time the average power-window system needs a significant repair.
even if 5-6 years is average, i bet it has a high standard deviation.

the only cars i hear about with power window problems are 15+ years old, driven by people who use drive through eating, drinking, banking, shopping, etc. every day.
Old 07-24-14, 12:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how about we don't see it at all anymore? and i don't remember the last time i heard of someone with a power roof failure.
I see it sometimes, but not necessarily from failure of the mechanism or electronics themselves. What sometimes happens is that a coin or other small thin solid object gets lost or jammed into the tracks , and the sliding-panel either gets jammed totally, or can't move more than a certain distance. When that happens, the object is sometimes vert difficult to remove, and requires a trip to the service-shop.

BTW........your old Miata had what was probably the best solution to a power-top failure there ever was (and, of course, manual-top Miatas still have it). IMO, It is the best, ingeniously-simple, reliable convertible-top mechanism ever done, though, of course, like most fabric tops, someone could easily break in with a knife.

even if 5-6 years is average, I bet it has a high standard deviation.
Yes, to some extent. But it can happen even in otherwise reliable cars. My Outback needed a new regulator after only 5 years. Same with some of my neighbors....though not necessarily with Subarus.

the only cars i hear about with power window problems are 15+ years old, driven by people who use drive through eating, drinking, banking, shopping, etc. every day.
Talk to some technicians, and you will probably find out differently.

One thing, of course, that DOES make it worse is opening and closing the windows or doors in the rain. That sometimes allows water to run down into the slots/channels inside the door panels, corroding or damaging the power-window components inside. With traditional roll-up manual windows, it is not as critical because there aren't any electrical components inside to corrode.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've had a lot of cars, both personal and company provided, and have never had a power window or sunroof/moonroof issue. I'm not saying that it can't happen, anything mechanical or electrical can fail but it's just not something I think about or worry about by any means.

My power window usage goes back to pre-in car transponders for toll booths when the driver side windows were used constantly nearly all of the time.
Old 07-24-14, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've had a lot of cars, both personal and company provided, and have never had a power window or sunroof/moonroof issue.
You are somewhat fortunate. In Consumer Reports' database, body-hardware is the second most area prone to repair.......next to brakes.

Anyhow, we've all gotten a little off-topic with this issue....me included. We were on the MKC.
Old 07-24-14, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You are somewhat fortunate. In Consumer Reports' database, body-hardware is the second most area prone to repair.......next to brakes.

Anyhow, we've all gotten a little off-topic with this issue....me included. We were on the MKC.
I'm sure the power windows and moonroof on the MKC will be just fine.
Old 07-24-14, 04:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm sure the power windows and moonroof on the MKC will be just fine.
I think you have a better chance at winning the lottery than having a power window open then not want to close during a sunny day while all of a sudden turning into a giant thunderstorm.

Now, the odds of being in a flash storm with a power sunroof that does not want to close is highly unlikely.

Even more rediculous is not being able to find an over pass to hide at, while having a sun roof not want to close, after having a power window break, while driving on a bright sunny day, with a sudden flash thunderstorm showing up.
Old 07-24-14, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you have a better chance at winning the lottery than having a power window open then not want to close during a sunny day while all of a sudden turning into a giant thunderstorm.
With all due respect, on this matter, you are incorrect.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

My Outback needed a new regulator after only 5 years.
what year was your outback?

anyway, i agree with LexBob2 that the mkc windows will be fine. my 8 year old explorer has had no problems with electric windows or roof (not that i use the roof, but i certainly use the windows).
Old 07-24-14, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what year was your outback?
An early-production 2006. I bought it in August of 2005.

You may not remember it now, but you, Mike, Henry, Ryan, Russ, and a bunch of other CL Car Chat regulars sent me congratulations the day I picked it up.

anyway, i agree with LexBob2 that the mkc windows will be fine. my 8 year old explorer has had no problems with electric windows or roof (not that i use the roof, but i certainly use the windows).
I think you guys may have misunderstood me a little. I wasn't implying that the MKC would have unreliable windows. And, even if so, they are covered by the Lincoln 4/50 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I only mentioned the 5-6 year rule because a number of vehicles have shown that pattern in the past.

Anyhow, we've gotten off-topic somewhat with this.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 05:43 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

In defense of mmarshall, Saying the power windows and moon roof are infallible is laughable. I had 2 vehicles where the moon roof died on me. The last was my Highlander. The dealer said that the motor needed replacing to the tune of $700+. I never did get it repaired. I never keep a vehicle more than 5 yrs so I don't have to deal with issues like this. If I had a real choice I never would get a moon roof.

The panoramic roof on the MKC is large and heavy with a full cover that is powered. I see trouble down the road.

Last edited by rogerh00; 07-25-14 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-25-14, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
In defense of mmarshall, Saying the power windows and moon roof are infallible is laughable. I had 2 vehicles where the moon roof died on me. The last was my Highlander. The dealer said that the motor needed replacing to the tune of $700+. I never did get it repaired. I never keep a vehicle more than 5 yrs so I don't have to deal with issues like this. If I had a real choice I never would get a moon roof.

The panoramic roof on the MKC is large and heavy with a full cover that is powered. I see trouble down the road.
Good points, roger00. Even if the electronics don't fail, I've seen a number of cases where coins or other objects get lodged in the rails/linkage and jam rings up (just how those objects get up in there is anybody's guess, unless it is the work of pranksters while the car is parked). And even reliable sunroof/moonroofs have housings that often rob badly needed headroom.
Old 07-25-14, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Good points, roger00. Even if the electronics don't fail, I've seen a number of cases where coins or other objects get lodged in the rails/linkage and jam rings up (just how those objects get up in there is anybody's guess, unless it is the work of pranksters while the car is parked). And even reliable sunroof/moonroofs have housings that often rob badly needed headroom.
sure, i have seen shells from hunting rifle stuck there to the point of us having to dismantle the whole thing :-)

nothing is unfallible... new panaramic roofs have had long term longetivity issues, quite few recalls on those in past few years.
Old 07-25-14, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
i think most people (like you and me) in florida feel this way! really annoying to waste so much money (and weight) on a moon roof i'll never use.

Even if the electronics don't fail, I've seen a number of cases where coins or other objects get lodged in the rails/linkage and jam rings up (just how those objects get up in there is anybody's guess, unless it is the work of pranksters while the car is parked).
objects jamming things up is hardly a defect of the roof!

about your outback, yes, i certainly remembered you had it, but as you say, that was 9 years ago.
Old 07-25-14, 08:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This is personal perspective only. It's supposed to rain here today. Is there a chance the moon roof (one is a pano) or power windows on either car might fail? Yes. Am I worried about taking either out today? No. Is it something I've thought or worried about in the last 25+ or so years? No.
Old 07-25-14, 09:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Am I worried about taking either out today? No. Is it something I've thought or worried about in the last 25+ or so years? No.
And that's just it. You bought your car to enjoy, not to worry about it breaking.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC