Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus considers a smaller SUV below the new NX

Old 07-18-14, 03:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Lexus considers a smaller SUV below the new NX

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...v-below-new-nx

Lexus could launch an SUV smaller than the new NX as it looks to downsize its model range, the firm’s European vice president Alain Uyttenhoven has revealed.

Uyttenhoven said the launch of a small SUV was “not impossible” for Lexus and such a model “made sense” for the brand, but he stopped short of confirming it for production.

Lexus is looking to downsize and diversify its model range to reduce its reliance on the North American market, which accounts for around half of its 500,000-plus unit annual sales.

Uyttenhoven said tastes in European, Chinese and Japanese markets were likely to converge and lead to the development of smaller models, allowing Lexus the opportunity to broaden its product offering.

He noted that premium cars were getting ever smaller, and around 60 per cent of premium models sold in Europe were sold for less than 40,000 euros. “The premium market starts with a car as small as the Audi A1,” he said.

At the other end of the market, Uyttenhoven said he did not see a future for a four-cylinder engine in Lexus’s LS range-topper, with fuel-cell technology more likely to represent economy gains in this segment, possibly by 2020.

“As soon as fuel cells can be made for performance driving, you’ll see fuel cells in high-end cars,” he said.
Old 07-18-14, 06:10 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the Ct200h's platform?
Old 07-18-14, 06:17 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Use the Ct200h's platform?
Possibly, yes. This must explain these CT200h mules seen last year, as the RAV-4 mules were caught much earlier in mid-2012 and related to the NX.

Is it possible the TX trademark applies to this new model and the 7-seater unibody is strictly RX?
Old 07-18-14, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Is it possible the TX trademark applies to this new model and the 7-seater unibody is strictly RX?
possibly. maybe the T stands for 'Tiny'.
Old 07-18-14, 08:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Possibly, yes. This must explain these CT200h mules seen last year, as the RAV-4 mules were caught much earlier in mid-2012 and related to the NX.

Yup, I think people just assume the TX (Texas) would just be something bigger.

Lexus is still missing a GLA, X1, Q3, QX30, and Encore, competitor. Also what Honda ends up calling this thing below .

Old 07-18-14, 09:06 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good lawd, that thing looks ugly

anyway, please no more SUVs. i'm so sick of it
Old 07-18-14, 09:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Buyers in the US are moving towards SUVs and CUVs.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/suv...sedans-in.html
Old 07-18-14, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

yup - said years ago this would happen.

they're great for:
- active people with lots of gear
- families that need to carry more stuff than a sedan trunk can handle
- older drivers who appreciate the seats and cargo loading/unloading at hip height rather than the struggle to get in and out of a sedan.

and from a design standpoint they make the now required higher front hood/bumper easier to do.

they're really a no-brainer. sedans might have better visibility and they're maybe easier to park, but that's about it. with cuvs/suvs like macan, cayenne, x5 there's performance options too.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-18-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:37 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder size wise, how will a CUV base CT be compared to the Aqua Cross Concept.

Old 07-18-14, 11:30 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLA, Q3, X1 fighter. If lexus does decide to put in a hybrid powertrain i hope it has a little more kick than the 200h
Old 07-18-14, 12:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

if they can design something as handsome as the NX then they will have another sales hit. Bring it
Old 07-18-14, 01:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Agree with the posts so far. I like the idea that the TX might all along be for this sub-compact CUV "Tiny Crossover". Add to that the sightings of the CT test mule alongside the sub-compact CUVs is indeed a sign for a GLA/X1 fighter, and it would fit nicely in this segment at around 170" -175". This whole time, many thought these spy shots were of the NX. For reference, GLA is 172.5" and the CT is 170".

One caveat I see. There's VERY LITTLE room, pricing-wise, to slot a "TX" between the 32K CT and the anticipated ~36-37K NX. (RX currently at 42K). UNLESS, we're way off on the NX and it will be closer to 40K while the 2016 RX will go upscale big time in the ML and X5 territory...
Old 07-18-14, 02:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
possibly. maybe the T stands for 'Tiny'.
LOL. Wouldn't be surprised if that came up in a marketing discussion. They've been laughing at everyone mistaking TX for a large CUV. Perhaps UX needs to be trademarked as well.

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Yup, I think people just assume the TX (Texas) would just be something bigger.

Lexus is still missing a GLA, X1, Q3, QX30, and Encore, competitor. Also what Honda ends up calling this thing below .

Exactly, especially with how it came across initially as if the GX would be cancelled and replaced by a large unibody CUV. One thing for certain, is that with the exception of the GS460 (filed in Nov. 2004, late 2007 arrival) and JX470, all Lexus trademarks have gone into production within less than 2 years from filing date. The timing of the mules is just right and Lexus has no other reason to use a raised CT, than a CUV.

I've never seen nor heard of Lexus (since the 1990 LS400 and LFA), test mules or prototypes of new model, more than 2 years early. This couldn't be scheduled for 2015/early 2016 can it? They were pretty mum about the NX, until the last minute.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree with the posts so far. I like the idea that the TX might all along be for this sub-compact CUV "Tiny Crossover". Add to that the sightings of the CT test mule alongside the sub-compact CUVs is indeed a sign for a GLA/X1 fighter, and it would fit nicely in this segment at around 170" -175". This whole time, many thought these spy shots were of the NX. For reference, GLA is 172.5" and the CT is 170".

One caveat I see. There's VERY LITTLE room, pricing-wise, to slot a "TX" between the 32K CT and the anticipated ~36-37K NX. (RX currently at 42K). UNLESS, we're way off on the NX and it will be closer to 40K while the 2016 RX will go upscale big time in the ML and X5 territory...
Yes, very much an X1/GLA competitor. A red flag went up last year when I saw these and received no explanation them after seeing the NX. This article gives me an idea. I am sure it will be shocking to many if that happens with the NX and the RX starts at $50k. The LX is going more upscale, so I guess it's expected.
Old 07-18-14, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

- There were Auris SUV sightings in last few days
- There will be certainly larger than RX SUV from Lexus, their people talked about it recently. TX sounds big, not small... This will likely be CX.
Old 07-18-14, 03:14 PM
LexFather

It might make sense in some other markets but not here. I see it diluting the brand here. Every time I see a X1 it really just turns me off and the vehicle itself is really stretching it to be called a BMW.

The Germans are going downmarket as they need the volume sans Audi who has VW to back them. Just how luxurious could they make a Lexus below the NX?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus considers a smaller SUV below the new NX