Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 10:39 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

As the title suggests, I'd be very interested in any and all thoughts you all may have. We do not need to replace our 2010 LX 570 but are, nonetheless, exploring the possibility.

We love Lexus and also have a preference for a sturdier truck-type SUV. Driving the Q7, as nice as it is, underscored that (wife kept saying it reminded her of our RX loaners).

The technology, price point, fuel economy and nimbleness of the Q7 (specifically in loaded Prestige form) are very attractive. However, reliability and service questions/concerns remain in my mind, especially given my solid relationship with my Lexus dealership. Bottom line, though, as nice as the recent updates to the LX are, it's still a pretty tired platform, at a hefty price premium and with pretty sad fuel economy numbers for this day and age (in V8 territory), hence the dilemma...

Thanks!
Old 11-24-16, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Since you already have an LX I would say go for the Audi.

As silly and ridiculous as the LX570 is, it still is a pretty nice truck. .And yes, the LX platform is tired.

What about a new Land Cruiser?
Old 11-24-16, 11:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gls 63 !!!!!!
Old 11-24-16, 11:49 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Since you already have an LX I would say go for the Audi.

As silly and ridiculous as the LX570 is, it still is a pretty nice truck. .And yes, the LX platform is tired.

What about a new Land Cruiser?
That's definitely one way to look at it, since going from a '10 to a '16/'17 would just bring looks, a little bit of additional technology (very overdue on the LX, incidentally) and the 8-speed tranny. It seems hard to justify, frankly, even if we had $ growing in the backyard. On the other hand, there is a certain solidity to Lexus (not just the LX) which the Audi can't seem to replicate.

Drivetrain on the Q7 was fairly smooth, though one thing I found interesting is that if you pushed it off-the-line, it didn't pull too hard in first gear and then took off quite nicely from second gear onward. I am not sure if this is by design or just the fact that it was a new car with an ECU that had little time to learn my driving style.

Regarding the LC, as much respect as I have for the platform, I could not - at that price point - give up Lexus service and go back to 3/36 warranty. I sure would love KDSS on the LX, though.
Old 11-24-16, 11:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Q7 is great.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Gls 63 !!!!!!
This man has the right answer!
Old 11-24-16, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I guess you're looking for something newer, but not too expensive? A Q7 is no LX but as you say, the LX is very long in the tooth. Q7 is very nice though. If you wanted a comparable tank feel, but with newer tech, get a GLS.
Old 11-24-16, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The LX may be long in the tooth, age-wise, but is still superbly built, extremely reliable, and I'd choose it (or a comparable Toyota Land Cruiser) over several newer rivals. I'm not one of those who believes that newer automatically means better.
Old 11-24-16, 07:44 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Stay away from Audi. I've never spoken to a single individual that hasn't complained about how god awful the reliability is.
We do a fair share of Audis at work and all the owners can ever do is complain about those cars....funny how brand new cars have so many issues. Their S and RS models are fun but are ticking time bombs especially if you tune them above stock power levels or drive them hard.

That aside, a Q7, while a nice vehicle is in no way comparable to an LX. Go drive both, on road and off road and you will see what I mean. I do not like what they did with the 2017 LX facelift as the bumper design will limit ground clearance as well as approach and departure angles, if that bothers you, get the previous year model.
Old 11-24-16, 07:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Stay away from Audi. I've never spoken to a single individual that hasn't complained about how god awful the reliability is.
We do a fair share of Audis at work and all the owners can ever do is complain about those cars....funny how brand new cars have so many issues. Their S and RS models are fun but are ticking time bombs especially if you tune them above stock power levels or drive them hard.

That aside, a Q7, while a nice vehicle is in no way comparable to an LX. Go drive both, on road and off road and you will see what I mean. I do not like what they did with the 2017 LX facelift as the bumper design will limit ground clearance as well as approach and departure angles, if that bothers you, get the previous year model.
You didn't speak to me. Have had two Audi's back to back. Both solid and proplem free.
Old 11-24-16, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Having driven both, I would choose the Q7 without a doubt. The LX is just too ponderous for everyday use IMHO. The Q7 is one of the more impressive vehicles I've sampled lately.
Old 11-24-16, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Most likely you are servicing older Audi models. Also, was the OP talking about tuning the Q7? Of course, tuners will have issues. The newer Audis have been very reliable. I'm on my 4th Audi since 2009 and have had no issues. Consumer Report rates Audi tops in reliability for European models, right under Lexus. My '17 A4, flawless with 1,500 miles. Brand new cars with issues? Please.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-24-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 11:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm on my 4th Audi since 2009 and have had no issues..
Four Audi's since 2009 seems a little strange, why the quick turnover?

Originally Posted by dseag2
. Brand new cars with issues? Please.
Yeah, I have never really understood why people have such an issue against the reliability of a new car. Audi has a good warranty. And if anyone looks at the OPs cars they currently have, they have a combined 70K in miles between two cars that are both 6 years old, the OP does not put a lot miles on their cars so the Audi should have no issues.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 11:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't Audi just beat Lexus as the most reliable for 2016?

Never have had an Audi, but it's new car and modern vehicles are much more reliable nowadays, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just buy whatever makes you and your wife happy.

Plus OP already have a LX, to me, I wouldn't spend 100k for a similar car that I currently have.
Old 11-24-16, 11:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
. On the other hand, there is a certain solidity to Lexus (not just the LX) which the Audi can't seem to replicate.
There is absolutely something special about Toyota/Lexus SUV platforms. They are indeed solid and provide a level of satisfaction that other brands that offer body on frame just can't seem to replicate.

Originally Posted by caha14
Regarding the LC, as much respect as I have for the platform, I could not - at that price point - give up Lexus service and go back to 3/36 warranty. I sure would love KDSS on the LX, though.
If your Lexus dealer is that good to you, I am sure they will service a Land Cruiser for you. As for the warranty, it is kind of a moot point as Toyota's are very reliable. Plus you get your first 5 Land Cruiser services at no charge as part of the Toyota 2 year/25000 service promotion (all really irrelevant at the Land Cruiser/LX price point). Finally, Land Cruiser is super rare, so you really get to drive something really special that you won't see all that often.

I wonder who has the better 4WD system, the Torsen 4WD from the LX or the Quattro system from the Q7?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-25-16 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 05:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i'll just add that the Q7 is the much more aesthetically pleasing vehicle, in my opinion. audi makes some very attractive vehicles, understated, but very attractive.

Quick Reply: 2016/17 LX570 or 2017 Audi Q7?