Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 11:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

did they finally get rid of that lame dash?? The exterior looks amazing. I love this thing.
Old 11-26-15, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

yes, completely overhauled, modernized, better materials, very high tech.

Old 11-26-15, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

gauge cluster is 'traditional' (still boxy and ugly) or they have an optional all LCD panel which is very cool...

Old 11-26-15, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

supports both android auto and apple carplay systems too.
Old 11-26-15, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gauge cluster is 'traditional' (still boxy and ugly) or they have an optional all LCD panel which is very cool...
Not quite as traditional, though, as the last panel...which harkened back to the 1960s versions by having the secondary gauges in a row down under the dash, forward of the shift-lever, where you had to take your eyes way off the road to scan them. This way, on the new 2016, they are right up there in view with the two big primary gauges.

I don't know if I like the idea, though, of those two huge circular-vents on the console blowing out ice-cold air on your pinkies when you are trying to shift LOL.

(some of GM's A/C systems, like those of Toyota/Lexus, when cranked up, could frostbite an Eskimo)

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 12:55 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, completely overhauled, modernized, better materials, very high tech.

Outward visibility is still horrible.
Old 11-27-15, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
is a lexus rc that much better?

Old 11-27-15, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is a previous Z/28 interior but just to give an idea of the upgrades. Such a night and day difference. Way to go Bowtie
Old 11-27-15, 04:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
is a lexus rc that much better?

coming from a 2012 Camaro to an RCF

yes the RC has much better rear visibility.
Old 11-27-15, 07:16 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
coming from a 2012 Camaro to an RCF

yes the RC has much better rear visibility.
Do you like the RCF better than the Camaro? Which would you pick between the 2016 Camaro SS and the RC 350? Power vs. luxury?
Old 11-28-15, 09:40 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
Do you like the RCF better than the Camaro? Which would you pick between the 2016 Camaro SS and the RC 350? Power vs. luxury?

I've been a GM guy my whole life, 9 GM models since I started driving in 1986. 3 of them Camaros, 1 Trans Am, several trucks, and an Impala SS and a Cadillac DTS. I also had a Chrysler 300c SRT8 and 2 Mustangs in there a 1971 Mach I and a 1993 GT Convertible.

The RC-F is my first ever import.

now with that being said. Unless GM does some major shifting in quality and customer service I will never buy another GM product.

my last 3 GM vehicle were plagued with issues. The last solid GM product I bought was a 2000 Silverado Z71, had that truck for 8 years 240,000 miles and it never saw the dealer for any warranty work, or any major work period, I sold that truck to a neighbor in 2006 and he had added another 100,000K to it with only an alternator and water pump replacement.

my 2003 Caddy, a mess of issues
my 2002 Impala SS, 4 water pump failures
my 2010 Avalanche serious electronic issues that would cause the truck to randomly shut down at highway speeds, dealer couldn't reproduce because a key cycle cleared the error codes.

my 2012 Camaro, major issues vehicle ended up being a lemon law buy back which is what paid for the Lexus.

I was looking to replace the Camaro with a Corvette, however based on the history I have experienced with GM since 2003 I decided to do some research on the Corvette first.. While a fantastic vehicle, GM has experienced approx. 7% of the C7 Corvettes having catastrophic motor failures. 7% may not seem like a lot, but total sales for the Corvette C7 have been ~37,000 and 7% is ~2600 vehicles where within the first 2,000 miles the motors had to be completely replaced due to a broken valve spring dropping a valve.

This does not ring quality to me in a $70,000 vehicle.

coupled with the pure "***** on the customer" attitude of the GM dealer franchises (or American dealers in general because I saw the same behaviors at Chrysler and Ford), personally I am done with American cars.

The RC-F is not really comparable to a Corvette in overall performance, but I will never track the car so it really doesn't matter to me, my personal preference is a 400+ hp V8 car with some specific amenities and the RC-F fit that bill.

Which is better the RC over the Camaro?

IMO the Lexus will win out hands done for quality and customer service. I've seen the 2016 Camaro up close, and while GM had stepped up their level of materials I have lost faith in their ability to build quality vehicles and their ability to support them. My Lexus is leaps and bounds better in materials and quality, though the ergonomics are a little iffy, I personally prefer tactile controls that I can change without taking my eyes off the road, the Camaro was better in this sense, the Lexus requires too much distraction to adjust HVAC or Radio IMO.

They have reduced and restricted their overall warranty coverage dropping it from 5/100 for powertrain to 5/60, they have eliminated their free 2 year maintenance programs. To me this screams lack of faith in their vehicles.

GM will win out if raw power is your desire, but be prepared to spend a good part of your ownership time in a rental while your Camaro is at the dealer.

My Camaro had a total of 7 months in dealer hands during 3 years of ownership.
Old 11-28-15, 11:15 AM
G8rGirl
Driver

I've been a GM guy my whole life, 9 GM models since I started driving in 1986. 3 of them Camaros, 1 Trans Am, several trucks, and an Impala SS and a Cadillac DTS. I also had a Chrysler 300c SRT8 and 2 Mustangs in there a 1971 Mach I and a 1993 GT Convertible.

The RC-F is my first ever import.

now with that being said. Unless GM does some major shifting in quality and customer service I will never buy another GM product.

my last 3 GM vehicle were plagued with issues. The last solid GM product I bought was a 2000 Silverado Z71, had that truck for 8 years 240,000 miles and it never saw the dealer for any warranty work, or any major work period, I sold that truck to a neighbor in 2006 and he had added another 100,000K to it with only an alternator and water pump replacement.

my 2003 Caddy, a mess of issues
my 2002 Impala SS, 4 water pump failures
my 2010 Avalanche serious electronic issues that would cause the truck to randomly shut down at highway speeds, dealer couldn't reproduce because a key cycle cleared the error codes.

my 2012 Camaro, major issues vehicle ended up being a lemon law buy back which is what paid for the Lexus.

I was looking to replace the Camaro with a Corvette, however based on the history I have experienced with GM since 2003 I decided to do some research on the Corvette first.. While a fantastic vehicle, GM has experienced approx. 7% of the C7 Corvettes having catastrophic motor failures. 7% may not seem like a lot, but total sales for the Corvette C7 have been ~37,000 and 7% is ~2600 vehicles where within the first 2,000 miles the motors had to be completely replaced due to a broken valve spring dropping a valve.

This does not ring quality to me in a $70,000 vehicle.

coupled with the pure "***** on the customer" attitude of the GM dealer franchises (or American dealers in general because I saw the same behaviors at Chrysler and Ford), personally I am done with American cars.

The RC-F is not really comparable to a Corvette in overall performance, but I will never track the car so it really doesn't matter to me, my personal preference is a 400+ hp V8 car with some specific amenities and the RC-F fit that bill.

Which is better the RC over the Camaro?

IMO the Lexus will win out hands done for quality and customer service. I've seen the 2016 Camaro up close, and while GM had stepped up their level of materials I have lost faith in their ability to build quality vehicles and their ability to support them. My Lexus is leaps and bounds better in materials and quality, though the ergonomics are a little iffy, I personally prefer tactile controls that I can change without taking my eyes off the road, the Camaro was better in this sense, the Lexus requires too much distraction to adjust HVAC or Radio IMO.

They have reduced and restricted their overall warranty coverage dropping it from 5/100 for powertrain to 5/60, they have eliminated their free 2 year maintenance programs. To me this screams lack of faith in their vehicles.

GM will win out if raw power is your desire, but be prepared to spend a good part of your ownership time in a rental while your Camaro is at the dealer.

My Camaro had a total of 7 months in dealer hands during 3 years of ownership.
WOW...thank you for the detailed response. The Camaro is not as tempting considering these reliability issues. Lexus is definitely peace of mind in addition to luxury.
Old 11-28-15, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Chevy's warranty is the same now as on most mainstream Japanese brands (5/60 drivetrain and 3/36 bumper-to-bumper)....Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and Subaru. And Chevy has kept the 5/100 drivetrain warranty for truck diesels. Buick and Cadillac both have the same warranties as Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura......6/70 drivetrain and 4/50 bumper-to-bumper. IMO, that's not skimpy warranty coverage.
Old 11-30-15, 12:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The interior is SOOOOO much nicer than the last gen. Like worlds away. In fact its more improved than even the Vette's
Old 11-30-15, 02:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

saw it at the L.A. Auto Show this past weekend.

the interior and exterior styling is nice, but the interior materials still look and feel cheap when compared to other vehicles.

the dash while looking leatherish; felt rubbery however I have the same thing to say about the Mustang and the Challenger.

Quick Reply: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro